• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Younger People Open Carrying

MTclip

imported post

Hello Im New here (to the forums)but Iam a virginia native. I have tried to do my research onOC laws here in VA. I am still a little bit nervous about carrying my firearm into public because of some reactions i may or may not get. Is this normal for a new OC virgin ? Also I was woundering the proper way to travel in city with my firearm in my vehicle. Thanks Alot

LEO 229

imported post

There is no state law prohibiting OC in Virginia.

Many new OCers have posted that they feel the nervous their first couple of times.

Firearms and vehicles....

Be sure you know the law for the locality you are in as it might be restricted in some way. Generally, unless you have a CC permit.... it is best to have the gun out in the open so an officer can see it if you are stopped. You do not want him to think you were trying to hide or disguise it.

I think many here place it on the front passenger seat.

nova

imported post

I'm 19 and have never had a problem OCing.

LEO 229

imported post

nova wrote:
You are a damn giant.... you do not need a gun... you could crush someone with your feet!! :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MTclip wrote:
Hello Im New here (to the forums)but Iam a virginia native. I have tried to do my research onOC laws here in VA. I am still a little bit nervous about carrying my firearm into public because of some reactions i may or may not get. Is this normal for a new OC virgin ? Also I was woundering the proper way to travel in city with my firearm in my vehicle. Thanks Alot
A hearty welcome to our world.

Try attending a local OC dinner - it's easier with a group and will get easier (like anything) the more you do it.

If you are ever in the Richmond area, give us a heads up and someone will be glad to meet-up with you for coffee or a meal.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MTclip wrote:

Welcome to OCDO.

The Wally World Tourhttp://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/730330-post50.html is heartily recommended to get used to OC-ing. Some of the layout may have been changed over the years, but the basic stops are all still there.

Concerns are "normal" for OC virgins, just as concerns are "normal" in anything you are new at doing. You get used to it after a few times, and then may notice that it bothers you more when you are not carrying.

The "proper" way to travel with your firearm while in your vehicle (ina city, in a county, on the farm, doing no harm) is (my preference) in a holster attacvhed to your belt.If you do not want to do that, it must besomewhere in plain view [that's the legal part] (on the passenger seat, on the dashboard are the 2 most often used) and where it can be secured from sliding around and does not get in the way of you as the driver or any ofthe passengers you may have [that's the common sense part]. (Think about using your seatbelt thru the holster belt slots/loops as one way to do that.)

You do not say where you live, but there are OC dinners scheduled fairly regularly in NOVA, Manassas, the Montclair/Dunfries area of PW County, Richmond and Tidewater. As Grapeshot suggested, try to go to one as an icebreaker.

If you go to an OC dinner in Tidewater, stay far away from Danbus - he's got bad karma lately. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/16338.html

stay safe.

skidmark

* edited to add link re: Danbus karma.

AbNo

imported post

I'm 26 if it helps.

I've been OCing since mid-last year.

It takes a little bit of guts the first few times. Try sticking with places you're well known and liked. I OC at the 7-11 by my house a lot, but I'm in there occasionally, and I've always tried to be nice to the clerks.

Think back to when you were a little kid. How did your parents know you were up to something? You were trying to hide it. ;)

Don't make a big deal about it, don't look nervous. If you look nervous, you look like you're up to something, and the whole point of OC is to remind people it is normal.

If you're anywhere in my area, you're welcome to come OC with me.

cmartin7864

imported post

I'm 23 and have been OC'n for about 3 months now. I was nervous the 1st couple of times but you get used to it. I started out carrying to 7-11 by my house. I was very nervous the first time I carried in front of a LEO. All he said was "hey, how's it going?" and that was all. Since then I've carried in front of dozens of LEOs and never even a second glance from them. I have nevr had a bad experience to date and carry evrywhere now in PW and Fairfax counties.If you carry yourselfwell and don't actnervous and dress accordingly you will be ok.

Welcome to open carrying! Be safe!

Krato88

imported post

nova wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Done it since I was 19. I'm 22 now...still walking, so it can't be that bad :D

Not meaning to nit-pick here, but don't you have to be 21 in VA to own a handgun? If it isn't 21, I have more than a few under-21 friends who'd like to get their own instead of bumming off my friends at the range :D

nova

imported post

Krato88 wrote:
nova wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Not meaning to nit-pick here, but don't you have to be 21 in VA to own a handgun? If it isn't 21, I have more than a few under-21 friends who'd like to get their own instead of bumming off my friends at the range :D
state law:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

Federal law:

http://iweb.tntech.edu/cpardue/youthnotice.html

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Krato88 wrote:
nova wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

As the links Nova provided will show, Fed law says I can't buy it under 21 from a federally licensed dealer. Virginia only says I can't buy it from a private party or be given the gun under 18.

I was given a Berreta 92FS at 19...hence began my open carrying.

Krato88

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Krato88 wrote:
nova wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

As the links Nova provided will show, Fed law says I can't buy it under 21 from a federally licensed dealer. Virginia only says I can't buy it from a private party or be given the gun under 18.

I was given a Berreta 92FS at 19...hence began my open carrying.
Thanks for all the info - despite my attempts at convincing two of my friends that I could buy for them and then transfer over to them, they are still concerned the it is "illegal"...concerned enough not to do it. One of them at least is still into shotgun shooting, so I guess its a start.

I'm going with them and 2 girls from work to the NRA HQ range tomorrow (Monday) night to sight in my SIG 556 and to further my skills with the Glock 21; I'm hoping to get one or both of them on it and let the gun(s) "speak" for themselves ;)

They want to go eat somewhere afterwards and I was thinking about at least 2 of us open carrying...is it "bad" or at least bad form to OC in the presence of others who may drink? (not at a bar, but something like an Outback or TGI Fridays). There's a place called "Bunkers" in Leesburg (like Dave and Busters) that at least on paper sounds like a gun-friendly zone; they were also considering a restaurant in the Fairfax area (probably bad for OC hehe). I couldn't imagine being at D&B's playing "Area 51" or "House of the Dead" and OCing :D

nova

imported post

Fairfax county is actually a decent place to OC. I'll probably be at Gilberts monday night shooting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

We had a recent multi-state meet-up in Lessburg at the local Red, Hot & Blue - no problems. http://vagrapeshot.multiply.com/

Also the Nova bunch has regular OC dinners and such. Lots of people OC in those areas.

Though it is not illegal to drink and OC, is it roundly discouraged as bad form.

Yata hey

hirundo82

imported post

Krato88 wrote:
Thanks for all the info - despite my attempts at convincing two of my friends that I could buy for them and then transfer over to them, they are still concerned the it is "illegal"...concerned enough not to do it. One of them at least is still into shotgun shooting, so I guess its a start.
If I understand youcorrectly, what you are describing would be illegal--buying a gun with the intention of reselling it to someone ineligible to buy a gun from an FFL (eg someone under 21 years old)is what is described as a "straw purchase."

It would be legal for you to sell a handgun you currently own to someone under 21 but not otherwise prohibited from purchasing firearms (ie not a felon, a resident of the same state as yourself), or topurchase a handgunfor someone under 21 as a gift (I think). However, buying a gun to resell to somebody who cannot buy it themself is definitely prohibited. That is why ATF Form 4473 asks "Are you the actual purchaser of the firearm" or words to that effect.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
Krato88 wrote:
If I understand youcorrectly, what you are describing would be illegal--buying a gun with the intention of reselling it to someone ineligible to buy a gun from an FFL (eg someone under 21 years old)is what is described as a "straw purchase."

It would be legal for you to sell a handgun you currently own to someone under 21 but not otherwise prohibited from purchasing firearms (ie not a felon, a resident of the same state as yourself), or topurchase a handgunfor someone under 21 as a gift (I think). However, buying a gun to resell to somebody who cannot buy it themself is definitely prohibited. That is why ATF Form 4473 asks "Are you the actual purchaser of the firearm" or words to that effect.
Incorrect - It would be a straw purchase if the 2nd party could not legally receive it from you. You as the original purchasor must qualify per the FFL sales requirement. The 2nd transfer needs to qualify under state law - 18 yo etc. Nothing in the law says that you must keep it for X number of days before you transfer it.

Bear in mind that some FFLs are so sensitive that a bf & gf looking to buy a handgun for the gf will back away frim the transaction if the conversation is primarily with the bf. There is no law compelling the FFL to make the sale.

There is no federal law against a private transfer of a handgun to an 18 year-old:

18 USC 922(x)(1)

(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or
otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has
reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile--
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun

A "juvenile" as defined in that section us someone under 18. Virginia has no law against it either:

Yata hey