• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An interesting State Park encounter

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I worked on the farm today. Had to make sure all the stands were tight, graded the road, set out new cameras, checked all the generators...so on.

After doing that, My wife, Zeus and myself, decided to go to the lake and look at a new boat ramp. The sailboat is hard to launch from Clarksville.

The ramp is in a State Park, Occoneechee State Park to be exact. I just didn't realiize it until we got there. There is a fee for parking there and a Guard at the gatehouse.

We pulled up and she came out to collect the money. Just after I paid, it hit me that I was carrying my usual non-hunting weaponry. I had a Mossburg 500 in the gun rack, was wearing a 9mm Smith and had a Magnum Research BFR on the dash. All fully loaded.

I said, oops, can't come in right now, I have a gun. She looked at the Mossburg and BFR and asked if I was staying long. I said No, just checking the ramps and looking around. She told me not to worry about it and just keep them in the truck.

Plus one for the Park People there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If I understand it correctly, you can't carry period in a State Park Even CC...unless it is a park that allows hunting (This one does) and it's hunting season (It's not).

Hopefully someone will correct me if I;m wrong.

At any rate, it doesn't apply to me because my CHP expired in the early 70's.:shock:

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

With all due respect, I can 100% assure you that you are wrong, Peter. Concealed carry in a Virginia state park is 100% legal as long as you have a chp.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
With all due respect, I can 100% assure you that you are wrong, Peter. Concealed carry in a Virginia state park is 100% legal as long as you have a chp.
I stand corrected. It still doesn't apply to me though.
I don't keep up with park rules. This is the first time I've ever been in one I think.

I stand corrected on two counts. My permit expired in the late 70's or early 80's.:shock:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Here it is:
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/faq.shtml

Firearms:[/b] Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed weapons permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
The question over carrying firearms in Virginia state Parks was recently addressed here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=13992&forum_id=54

Basically, open carry is not lawful; firearms may only be lawfully carried in a VA State Park if carried concealed bythe holder of a valid concealed-carry permit. The relevant text can be found in the Virginia State Administrative Code at 4 VAC 5-30-200.

4 VAC 5-30-200 says, "No person except employees, police officers, or officers of the department shall carry or possess firearms of any description, or airguns, within the park. This regulation shall not apply in areas designated for hunting by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. This regulation also shall not apply to the carrying of concealed handguns within state parks by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to §18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia."

HTH

Thanks Bill! I went back and looked at the thread, the AG Opinion and the change, after I posted.

paramedic70002

imported post

There is one of my pet peeves, when a law says:

XXX prohibited.

Unless YYY.

ZZZs are exempt from this law.

Would it be too complicated to word it a bit more simply? Like...

XXX prohibited except for YYY and ZZZ.

Neplusultra

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
There is one of my pet peeves, when a law says:

XXX prohibited.

Unless YYY.

ZZZs are exempt from this law.

Would it be too complicated to word it a bit more simply? Like...

XXX prohibited except for YYY and ZZZ.
Then you wouldn't need lawyers to figure out what it all means, which of course would mean they would be out of a job and a lot of money.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

That will make a great "out of context" quote for those that don't.

Yata hey

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

tripledipper wrote:
"Kill all the lawyers":celebrate
Hey now! ... :quirky

Remember that Mike and I are both law school students!

As a matter of fact, I am posting this from my Legal Research and Writing class.

PS. Did you know that a parking ramp operator in Minnesota has a duty to protect their customers? See Erickson v. Curtis Inv. Co., 447 N.W.2d 165, 168. :cool: (The case we are discussing at the moment)

tripledipper

imported post

The quote, taken out of context,actually is a compliment to the profession, as it was meant that to overthrow the government, you first must kill the guardians of the rule of law. Just more of my warpedsense of humor.:lol:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Here it is:

Firearms:[/b] Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed weapons permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited.
if you read the actual regulation, gun carry is allowed generally where hunting is allowed - you do not have to be hunting.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Here it is:

Firearms: Law enforcement officers and those with a concealed weapons permit may carry firearms. During hunts, hunters may have firearms, which should be unloaded and properly stored when outside designated hunt areas. Target shooting is prohibited. Air guns are prohibited.
if you read the actual regulation, gun carry is allowed generally where hunting is allowed - you do not have to be hunting.

I think that's why she didn't make an issue of it Mike. We went sailing last week and put in there. I left the guns at the farm except for a Detonics that might have fallen in my pocket. Not sure about that though!