Thread: Northwood open carry event a success!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/4067/67

Northwood Open Carry Walk Huge Success

Written by Daniel White

Saturday, 20 September 2008

The Open Carry Walk in support of OFCC member Ed Farbrother was a huge success!

Over seventy people, ranging in age from 2-1/2 to 70 years old and from as far away as Cincinnati, showed up on a beautiful Saturday afternoon to support Farbrother and protest his poor treatment at the hands of the Northwood police department.

After meeting up at Central Park, the group went for a walk around the block to the front of the police station and posed for pictures in front of a sign reading "Freedom is Not Free", highly appropriate for the situation at hand.

Afterwards, the majority of us went over to Frisch's Big Boy for lunch. Big Boy management welcomed our group of humble open carriers, and were rewarded with receipts totaling over $560, well over if you include tips. Originally, the plan was to return to the scene of the original incident. However, Netty's Ice Cream Shop informed us we weren't welcome. Big Boy, on the other hand, were eager to have us there and we were rewarded with excellent service and very tasty food. They even kept the breakfast buffet open past regular hours for those who wanted brunch.

Coverage for the event was provided by the Toledo Blade and Fox 8 Toledo. Video coverage of the event is scheduled to air on Fox 8 News during the 10pm program tonight. It is not known if this will be just for the Toledo affiliate or will be broadcast statewide.

The message behind this was that open carry is a legal activity in Ohio and that Farbrother is owed an apology from Northwood Police Chief Michael Lazor. Farbrother did not deserve the treatment he has gotten from Northwood police as he did nothing wrong.

Post imported post

Oh btw people.. the 2 1/2 year old was not OC'ing anything but her binky.... although it was partially concealed when she put it in her mouth.

We were a bit afraid the Chief was going try to charge her with being 15% concealed and 85% openly carrying.

But for some strange reason, we didn't see the Chief, or for that fact hardly any Northwood Police. I guess the game for the day was Hide and Seek.

Post imported post

Yea, 73 people showed up. All of us open-carrying. Can you believe it? It was almost surreal.

The "turnaround" point during the walk was the Northwood Police Department. When we got there, it was deserted! The chief and all the LEOs abandoned the place. :shock:It was like a ghost town. So all 73 of us gathered in front of the police department and had our picture taken by lots of folks. The irony is that there wasa big, stone monument/sign in front of the PD that said, "Freedom is Not Free."

One guy stayed behind at the PD after we left. He said all the LEOs returned about 5 minutes after we left the PD. I guess they were watching us at a distance, and decided to "come back home" after we left the PD. :quirky

We didn't see too many cruisers during the walk. One gentleman said he and three other walkers saw a police car in a parking lot. As the LEO approached his car, he did notmake eye contact withthe walkers... he stared at the ground the entire time. :?

Post imported post

When the walk got underway I told my father you might be the oldest one here, his reply great grandfather arrested for O/C. That 70 year old is my father and that was the first time he has ever had his gun out of the house. On the ride home he said it felt good to " give it back to the man". Im thinking this was the turning point for dad to see its ok to leave the home armed and feel good about it.

Post imported post

The "turnaround" point during the walk was the Northwood Police Department. When we got there, it was deserted! The chief and all the LEOs abandoned the place. :shock:It was like a ghost town. So all 73 of us gathered in front of the police department and had our picture taken by lots of folks. The irony is that there wasa big, stone monument/sign in front of the PD that said, "Freedom is Not Free."

Post imported post

Well Done and Thank You!!!

Post imported post

"Big Boy management welcomed our group of humble open carriers, and were rewarded with receipts totaling over $560, well over if you include tips. Originally, the plan was to return to the scene of the original incident. However, Netty's Ice Cream Shop informed us we weren't welcome. Big Boy, on the other hand, were eager to have us there and we were rewarded with excellent service and very tasty food."

I hope someone took a copy of the receipt to Netty's. Rubbing their face in it ain't exactly high road, but 'twould be mighty satisfying.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

My thoughts exactly on the eatery. Let the refuseniks know what they missed out on.

As for the police hiding from law abiding citizens, that'snothing short of outrageous. Doesn't it give you a bunch of warm fuzzies?

Post imported post

Toledo,Ohio needs an open carry demonstration march also since the city's fathers and police claim "HOME RULE" preempts state and federal laws !:what: Concerning BLACK POWDER revolvers:
    Federal law and Ohio state laws state that black powder firearms, and modern curios of same, ARE EXEMPT from registration as they do not utilize fixed ammunition and are considered to be "PRIMITIVE" in the same class as a spear or bow and arrow. Open carry within Toledo can be very dangerous because of police attitudes in general.

Post imported post

Combat Veteran wrote:
    Toledo,Ohio needs an open carry demonstration march also since the city's fathers and police claim "HOME RULE" preempts state and federal laws !:what: Concerning BLACK POWDER revolvers:
    Federal law and Ohio state laws state that black powder firearms, and modern curios of same, ARE EXEMPT from registration as they do not utilize fixed ammunition and are considered to be "PRIMITIVE" in the same class as a spear or bow and arrow. Open carry within Toledo can be very dangerous because of police attitudes in general.

The recent Clyde decision just blew the bow off of that ship. It sank with all hands, leaving an oil slick and flaming bits of local gun control legislation.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Any links for any newspaper or TV coverage?

Post imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
    One guy stayed behind at the PD after we left. He said all the LEOs returned about 5 minutes after we left the PD. I guess they were watching us at a distance, and decided to "come back home" after we left the PD. :quirky
    Goes to show that Northwood PD are a bunch of pathetic bullies. Wonder what would've happened had there only been 5 or 6 of you guys.

Post imported post

Some small part of me hopes that the (lack of) reaction from Northwood P.D. to our O.C. march is because not ALL of the officers are "onboard" with either what happened originally, or the chief's whitewashing of the event in his subsequent "investigation".

The few times that Northwood cruisers passed our group the officers inside wouldn't make eye contact, much less wave or otherwise acknowledge our presence.

But like you, MetalChris, I was glad our turnout was as large as it was. That had to scotch any plans they may have had to bully or harass say a half dozen legal open carriers.

Post imported post

No news coverage at all? 73 people walk around town, most of them carrying sidearms, the police run and hide, and nothing at all mentioned in the local newspapers?

Post imported post

Brian D. wrote:
    Some small part of me hopes that the (lack of) reaction from Northwood P.D. to our O.C. march is because not ALL of the officers are "onboard" with either what happened originally, or the chief's whitewashing of the event in his subsequent "investigation".

The few times that Northwood cruisers passed our group the officers inside wouldn't make eye contact, much less wave or otherwise acknowledge our presence.

But like you, MetalChris, I was glad our turnout was as large as it was. That had to scotch any plans they may have had to bully or harass say a half dozen legal open carriers.
    I wish I could've made it but had to work a 12 the night before and night of the walk.

Post imported post

It isn't so much that we CAN oc firearms, we should. Our freedoms are suppressed by police who genuinely do believe that we live in a "police state" and they are not public servants but public rulers. Somehow, police have been laboring under the illusion that they have no one to answer to for stomping on our rights. The rights we choose not to exercise in our daily lives will be surrendered by default.

Post imported post

Saturday night at 10:00pm Fox news had a 30 second bit on the walk. Did not catch the introbut I did hear protest for O/C asthey showed uswalkeding down Woodville rd. Toledo Blade was there have not seen anything in paper,but that does not surprise me because there was nothing negative about the walk to report.You can get a copy of that news report by calling WUPW Fox Toledo 419-244-2197 I was told the cost is $30.00

Post imported post

Anyone got a link or can email a full size pic of the group in front of the monument????

Favorite recent Quote:
    "As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun and I've said it before and I'll say it again they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
    Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters

I know I am a few years later on this thread I am from that area and am interested in joining your guys's group please get back with me thank you

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

no, 9 years isn't late...

here is the correct link to the OHIO CC group...http://ohioccw.org/

back to our regularly scheduled OPEN CARRY programming...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...Afterwards, the majority of us went over to Frisch's Big Boy for lunch. Big Boy management welcomed our group of humble open carriers, and were rewarded with receipts totaling over $560, well over if you include tips. Originally, the plan was to return to the scene of the original incident. However, Netty's Ice Cream Shop informed us we weren't welcome. Big Boy, on the other hand, were eager to have us there and we were rewarded with excellent service and very tasty food. They even kept the breakfast buffet open past regular hours for those who wanted brunch. ...
    Little did I realize until now, eight years later, that Dan White/OFCC appeared to claim some degree of credit for the group going to Big Boy. What a laugh.

On another matter, welcome badchad250!

Yeah, welcome badchad. I imagine most of us, on one forum or another through the years have resuscitated some old thread, if not on purpose, by accident. Of course your motivation seemed to me good, wanting to join a group active in your area.

By the way the oldest such reincarnation I've ever seen was on pistolsmith.com, the poster dug up several threads that hadn't been commented on in as much as 16 years! In two cases he was literally "talking to" dead people.