• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Caliber?

imported post

mdgary wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
All the .45 guys know that that extra 1ft/lbs of muzzle energy makes all the difference. :quirky

I carry 9mm now andplan to get a5.7x28 next summer. Reason being is that, as already mentioned, it's all about shot placement. The low recoiling 9mm will let me put 2-3 holes in your head while you're still trying to regain a sight picture from the excessive recoil of your .45, with which you missed your first shot because you couldn't afford enough ammo to practice regularly. Move on tothe 5.7 and it's game over because thanks to the near zero recoil, I'll be able to emptyan entire magazine of bullets with the same muzzle energy as a 9mm +pinto a 1" diameter spot before you even squeeze off a single shot.

Bottle line, it's all about shot placement and follow-up shot placement. The difference between a .45 ACP at 400ft/lbs and a 9mm standard pressure at 380ft/lbs is a joke when you're looking at more like 1,000+ft/lbs for a true one shot stop.
wow.

maybe little stick figures can't shoot a 45.

45ACP does not recoil that much in the hands of a man maybe a woman or a little boy... cough cough....

its been proven over and over again the 9mm can't do the job like a bigger round.
I shoot A 9mm with A 12 rd. mag. and 1 in the pipe,I don't plan to stop shooting till the threat is ELIMINATED.Put enough holes in the BG and they can,t plug them all!

thats true but you might not be able to get that many off. maybe you'll only get one into the chest

M

mdgary

imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:
mdgary wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
All the .45 guys know that that extra 1ft/lbs of muzzle energy makes all the difference. :quirky

I carry 9mm now andplan to get a5.7x28 next summer. Reason being is that, as already mentioned, it's all about shot placement. The low recoiling 9mm will let me put 2-3 holes in your head while you're still trying to regain a sight picture from the excessive recoil of your .45, with which you missed your first shot because you couldn't afford enough ammo to practice regularly. Move on tothe 5.7 and it's game over because thanks to the near zero recoil, I'll be able to emptyan entire magazine of bullets with the same muzzle energy as a 9mm +pinto a 1" diameter spot before you even squeeze off a single shot.

Bottle line, it's all about shot placement and follow-up shot placement. The difference between a .45 ACP at 400ft/lbs and a 9mm standard pressure at 380ft/lbs is a joke when you're looking at more like 1,000+ft/lbs for a true one shot stop.
wow.

maybe little stick figures can't shoot a 45.

45ACP does not recoil that much in the hands of a man maybe a woman or a little boy... cough cough....

its been proven over and over again the 9mm can't do the job like a bigger round.
I shoot A 9mm with A 12 rd. mag. and 1 in the pipe,I don't plan to stop shooting till the threat is ELIMINATED.Put enough holes in the BG and they can,t plug them all!

thats true but you might not be able to get that many off. maybe you'll only get one into the chest
Well if that's the case I hope it's in the heart.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The gun I OC is in .357 magnum. I would also be happy if it had .38s. 9mm and .22lr serve the role but only on rare occasions. (I carried the 9mm when I visited California for example [and other rare occasions], and I carry the .22 on my way to shoot it [and other rare occasions])

.357 Pro's : Flat shooting, Very Potent. .357 Con's: VeryLoud, expensive, lots of flash.

.38 Pro's:mild recoil.Still Quite Effective.38 con's: Lower velocity than .357.

9mm Pro's:mild Recoil, Quite Effective, Relatively Cheap.In semi-autos usually there is a lot of them. 9mm Con's: Hmm...

.22lr Pro's: Very cheap to practice with, very low recoil. .22lr cons: Rimfire priming is less reliable, not very potent (relatively).

AnaxImperator

imported post

I used to favor the 9mm in both x18mm & x19mm flavors, but I've gone over to the .357 Magnum with revolvers. The reason being that no longer are wheelguns limited to 5 or 6-round capacities, while 4" & 5" barrelrevolvers aren't as bulky as they used to be and mass-wise can weigh as little as an older 2/3" snubby.

I still like the 9mm for the sheer amount of choice in self-defense cartridges,andlarge cartridge capacities are nice too. Having only 5 or 6 rounds in reserve is just asking for a visit from Mr. Murphy.

And besides the .357 Magnum being my main choice, I've picked up on the 9x23mm Winchester, which approaches the .357 Magnum's power. I can't have a .357 Mag autoloader (unless I win the lottery so I can buy a Mateba), so the 9x23 is the next best thing.

TipsyMcStagger wrote:
how many BG (in their right mind) want to continue an attacking looking down the barrel of a 45.
That is a notion which has no bearing on whether a BG will attack or not, and is a fallacy ascribed to by many without any basis in proven fact. If someone can dig up a cite where a BG admits to retreating because a potential victim's handgun was of a specific caliber, then by all means, that's a big reason to buy a .45.

But think for a second..... How many BG's in attack-mode will consider "Hey, that's just a .380 (or 9mm, or .38 Special, etc)!"and stillpress their attack when the muzzle of a handgun ispointed at their face; or instead think to themselves "Hey, that's a .45 and not a 9mm! I have alarger chance of dying!", and then run away.

There's other reasons why the .45ACP is a decent self-defense round,but betting on an attacker being scared away or intimidated by the muzzle-size is ridiculous. The .45ACP vs. 9mm argumenthas been going on for decades and is not likely to go away anytime soon; but as with the 9mm not being perfect or ideal, there's also good reasons why the the .45ACP shouldn't be the 1st or even 2nd choiceas a SD cartridge. The biggest for me is the fact that JHP .45ACPs do not reliably expand, especially when fired from sub 4" barrels.
This is due to the .45ACP already being a fairly low-velocity round, and when launched from a short barrel they lose even more speed. A 230-grain FMJ fired from a 5" full-sizepistolwill make around 850fps, while the same round fired from a 3"-barreled handgunwill struggle to make 650fps. That's well below the velocity needed to achieve significant & reliable expansion with JHP .45ACPs, which in effect turns them into FMJsthataren't travelling fast enough to upset & tumble.
Most ammo manufacturers started making +P cartridges to alleviate that, but that raised another couple problems.

The.45ACP was designed around the big-bullet/slow-velocity concept with fairly low pressure tolerances (around 20,000psi), and the Colt M1911's manstopper reputation was built on the plain-ol' FMJ which begins to tumble within 6-8" of penetration. The more potent +P cartridges are tough on barrels (especially 1911s), and a steady diet of +Ps will substantially erode the handgun's life-span.
To attain more speed, many .45ACP +P cartridges were made by upping the amount of propellant and reducing bullet weight. The problem with that is penetration, or a lack thereof. A fat bullet lacking enough mass will have a tough time punching through muscle & bone, so even if it does expand, it won't make it far enough to hit vitals.
In addition, the added power of +P cartridges makes any handgun more difficult to control, which is exacerbated by the handgun being smaller & lighter. That makes follow-up shots harder to place on target under extreme stress.

Most quality performance 9mm JHPs will normally expand to .50", whichwill beundeniably more effective than a .45ACP JHP which has failed to fully expand or has only partially done so, and is moving so slowly that it won't tumble or have sufficient energy-transfer.

There are a few modern .45ACP +P cartridges that do exhibit better expansion than most when fired from compact .45 handguns; those are made by Corbon and Hornady, and utilize the Barnes X projectile. But IMHO, compacts in .45ACP are somewhat mediocre carry handguns. To make them more effective, expensive +P ammunition is required if JHPs are to be used, and regular .45 ammo isn't cheap to begin with. And then there's capacity.... most compact .45scarry at most 7 rounds. Some people downplay round capacity, but there's always Murphy's Law to take into account. It's generally not good to be caught short with an empty gun, a wounded & very upset (or multiple) assailants, and no time to reload (or even no extra loaded magazines!). Sure, if a vital organ isn't hit,it may take two 9mm rounds to do the job that one .45ACP can accomplish, but why take the chance?

Am I saying that 9mm is better than the .45ACP? Not at all. All I'm saying is that the .45 is more reliant on handgun choice than most other calibers. If when choosinga handgunit's ascertained that it needs to be small for concealment purposes; a 9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W, or even 10mm is ideal. If small size isn't critical and a 4/5" barrel won't cause issues, then by all means, go for the .45ACP.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
And besides the .357 Magnum being my main choice, I've picked up on the 9x23mm Winchester, which approaches the .357 Magnum's power. I can't have a .357 Mag autoloader (unless I win the lottery so I can buy a Mateba), so the 9x23 is the next best thing.
Also, the Desert Eagle is made in .357 magnum.

AbNo

imported post

Oh damn it, not ANOTHER caliber thread. :banghead:

Look, I carry .22, 9mm Luger, .40, and .45. These are the best calibers to carry.

I know another guy that carries 9x19 and 9x18 because those are the only two handguns he has. These are the best calibers to carry.

I know someone ELSE that carries .38, .380, 9L, and .454. These are the best calibers to carry.

Get my point? ;)

LEO 229

imported post

AbNo wrote:

Look, I carry .22, 9mm Luger, .40, and .45. These are the best calibers to carry.

I know another guy that carries 9x19 and 9x18 because those are the only two handguns he has. These are the best calibers to carry.

I know someone ELSE that carries .38, .380, 9L, and .454. These are the best calibers to carry.

Get my point? ;)

I COMPLETELY agree....

A well placed shot with any gun will do the trick.

I have seen ballistic tests and it also depends on the ammunition you use.

Having a .45 is not always better than some other caliber.

Good shot placement and good ammunition is what you really need.

ODA 226

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
The low recoiling 9mm will let me put 2-3 holes in your head while you're still trying to regain a sight picture from the excessive recoil of your .45, with which you missed your first shot because you couldn't afford enough ammo to practice regularly.

I'm your huckelberry....;)

The best caliber is the one that you have in your hand at the moment. Enough said.

LEO 229

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:

The best caliber is the one that you have in your hand at the moment. Enough said.

Nice job... but you DID have one stray...

Do better next time please... :lol:

FogRider

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

1046932532_ktopthorny.jpg

"What, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy."

Gunslinger

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Get my point? ;)

I COMPLETELY agree....

A well placed shot with any gun will do the trick.

I have seen ballistic tests and it also depends on the ammunition you use.

Having a .45 is not always better than some other caliber.

Good shot placement and good ammunition is what you really need.
A shot in the chest with a .45ACP 230gr +P HST, not in the heart, will do a lot more damage than a 9mm anything. Bullet diameter is still a key, that's why the old timers still swear by .45 hardball. In the heart or the head is fine, but if you miss close, you want stopping power. No 9mm--and I carry the round myself often--+P+ 124 gr HSTs, can compare with a +P 230 grain round--not even the vaunted 147gr. While I'm sure you have some experience, most of the "accuracy with anything" types have never been in a life and death situation so have no idea how they'll react--or how much hand eye coordination goes out the window.

ODA 226

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

I knew I slapped that one round as soon as I fired it, but considering that I shot 32 rounds with 3 reloads in a little over 20 seconds, can you please forgive me? :D

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
The low recoiling 9mm will let me put 2-3 holes in your head while you're still trying to regain a sight picture from the excessive recoil of your .45, with which you missed your first shot because you couldn't afford enough ammo to practice regularly.

I was obviously being sarcastic, but that's some damn good shooting.

Toymaker

imported post

For me it's .40 S&W out of a Glock 27.

I carry 165 gr. Corbon JHP but I'mevaluating a switchover to 165 gr. HST's. My range ammo is 165 gr. American EagleFMJFP. All of them shoot to the same POA and is very accurate out of this little gun.

I've tried larger guns and smaller guns, 9mm's, .45's, 38/357's, and even other .40's and nothing else beats this combo of gun and ammo for me.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Depends what I'm wearing :lol:

You wouldn't want me to have a handgun that doesn't match, would you???????

Well ... okay ... generally it matches my MOOD, not my clothes, but what the heck.

As small as a .380 (with a .22 BUG); as large as a .45.

unreconstructed1

imported post

well, once the wonderful(ly slow) state of Tennessee decides to honor it's end of the bargain and issue my HCP, I'll be carrying a 9mm main ( hi-point C-9) and a .22 backup (phoenix HP22)

once finances are adequate, I'll be upgrading to .45 ( rock Island GI 1911, with modifications) and a .380 BUG (Kel-tec P3AT)