• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what are we going to do in TEXAS (enough is enough)

redbeans

imported post

You know they couldn't lock every body up. Maybe just for kicks.

This s- - - just ain't right.

All we want to do is protect our selves and our familys.

Their being 44 states that honor open carry. What are we, can we not be trusted. Theirs some thing wrong here.:cuss:

Just want to bet. I'll just bet we get it figured out.:idea:

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

redbeans wrote:
You know they couldn't lock every body up. Maybe just for kicks.

This s- - - just ain't right.

All we want to do is protect our selves and our familys.

Their being 44 states that honor open carry. What are we, can we not be trusted. Theirs some thing wrong here.:cuss:

Just want to bet. I'll just bet we get it figured out.:idea:
BAD idea. BAD.

46.02 is QUITE clear; no open carry. 46.15's only applicable exceptions are for on-duty peace officers and licensed security guards. No, they can't lock us all up, but this isn't the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's; we're not campaigning for voting rights or desegregation, but for a right that admittedly many people, even CHL holders, are uncomfortable with. Those who ARE locked up will be given no mercy; if I knowone thing about Texas judges, it's that they come down hard if they think a lesson needs to be taught, whether to the one man or to everyone. And if you think the jury's going to nullify, you better have a REAL good lawyer; remember that you may have a say in the jury, but the State decides the jury pool.

In addition, any media story on it will probably be slanted, and inany case interpreted by the masses as "well, he got what he deserved, doing a fool thing like walking around with a gun on his hip". They catch you on camera, say at a mass demonstration,and you're even less likely to beat the rap.

I admire your conviction, and wish that all Texas gun owners were as adamant about OC rights as you. If they were, we would not need to raise near as much Cain to get lawmakers to seriously pay attention. However, the reality is that even a large number of CHL holders think OC is not a good idea. They do have some valid points; you have to be much more aware of who is around you, and your average sheeple will throw a fit. Civil disobedience will be nothing more than putting money in Texas' coffers. We have to change perceptions through education; one person at a time if need be. Wear an empty holster; you'll be amazed at its value as a conversation starter.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There simply are not enough people who care about the issue of open carry to propose an organized civil disobedience.

At this point, the most effective way is to go to the local office of your legislator, and get some face time if possible. Get your friends to do the same. Send letters, emails, etc. Find some friends, and set up an information booth outside of a high traffic location or event.

I understand the frustration you feel. However, getting arrested and most likely convicted of a weapons charge will not promote restoration of your rights. Instead, it will just serve to inhibit them further down the road.

cato

imported post

Why don't you all start Ocing rifles (in scabbards) to protest the open handgun prohibition? If they don't want to see your AR or shotgunthen they need to let you OC your pistol.

DanM

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
. . . we're not campaigning for voting rights or desegregation, but for a right that admittedly many people, even CHL holders, are uncomfortable with. Those who ARE locked up will be given no mercy . . . you may have a say in the jury, but the State decides the jury pool.

Back in the day they were fought for, voting rights (for minorites andwomen, I presume) and desegration were NO LESS uncomfortable for the "many" to accept. Those who were locked up for advocating for those rights faced littlemercyand very unsympatheticjuries.

I don't find your implicit argument convincing that voting rights and desegration were, in those regards, easier or more appealing as civil rights fights. Remember, people were KILLED and sent to prisons for long periods of timeadvocating or being civilly disobedient for these ideas. I highly doubt that state-perpetrated murder and long prison sentences would happen to anyone merely being civilly disobedient by merely open-carrying.

That being said, I do agree with you that civil disobedienceis not called for. There is yet more opportunity within the conventional political process to advance OC rights. Those avenues should be concentrated on first.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One thing you folks in Texas have to remember is that OC (of the old west days) didn't go away over night, and it will not come back over night either. But if you keep doing what you are (badgering your state legislature and educating the public) and hang in there, it will come.

codename_47

imported post

Just carry around assault rifles instead. If someone complains, tell them you'd like to carry a handgun, but the laws won't permit it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yeah... Openly carry rifles. Sling 'em inverted over shoulder. LOADED, chambered... hell... hang a bayonet on 'em :uhoh:for dramatic effect. :):p