Thread: We should adopt a highway

Post imported post

Trash cleanups are an interesting idea.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/16320.html

What do you all think?

Post imported post

Yes, the topic has been broached recently.

I think any community service would be good- provided we can get adquate participation to make an impression and we have a venue that is sufficiently insulated from gun-free school zones.

The San Diegan contingent is certainly well staffed with ethusiastic supporters- its getting them from the safety of a restaurant that may present a significant challenge.

I think that with as spread out the active OC'rs are here in California, the best thing is to form community cells where we can organize small local events.

Its not just highways that need clean up- its around our lakes and trails, in our city and county parks, its caring for public shooting ranges and conducting defense walks where law enforcement is spread too thin or cant regularly patrol.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

Condition Three - it was nice to put the words to faces

As far as volunteer work goes -

It might seem a little self-serving, but the Iron Mountain range area is still closed. Maybe if there is some volunteer activity involved we could help it to open sooner, and other shooters can benefit from our actions. Anyone have a BLM connection for quick access through the red tape?

Post imported post

JB-Norcal wrote:
    Condition Three - it was nice to put the words to faces

As far as volunteer work goes -

It might seem a little self-serving, but the Iron Mountain range area is still closed. Maybe if there is some volunteer activity involved we could help it to open sooner, and other shooters can benefit from our actions. Anyone have a BLM connection for quick access through the red tape?
    I know a guy at BLM out of Hollister, but I'm not sure about cutting through red tape...

State Researcher

Post imported post

JB-Norcal wrote:
    It might seem a little self-serving, but the Iron Mountain range area is still closed. Maybe if there is some volunteer activity involved we could help it to open sooner, and other shooters can benefit from our actions.
    It is self-serving... that's kinda the point of charity work while OC'ing. We're exchanging community service for publicity. Everybody gets something out of it, so it's good all around.

I think making gunowners the beneficiaries of that charity work is a good idea. Many gun owners are just happy to have what we have now. They don't want to upset the 'powers that be.' We need to win over the hearts and minds of gun owners first and foremost.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I'd love to get something like this going here in the Bay Area.

Post imported post

MrSigmaDot40 wrote:
    I'd love to get something like this going here in the Bay Area.
    So would I. It would be a good place to do something like this, too.

What we need is more members in the Bay Area, or to get interest from folks who live out of town.

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
    I think that with as spread out the active OC'rs are here in California, the best thing is to form community cells where we can organize small local events.
    The problem with this is that we're not just spread out, we're still few in number.

I would certainly be willing to make the commitment to adopt a highway, even if it weren't especially nearby. I really think this has the potential to jump-start our growth here in Northern California.

Many of us live in places where we don't feel comfortable and/or can't afford taking the legal liability of daily OC, like here in San Francisco (I simply can't financially afford take the risk of being the person to find out how the SFPD would respond to lawful OC). Thus there isn't any activity in, say, the Bay Area.

I think something positive, well-planned and well-organized, like an adopted highway in a location that has good "publicity" and meets our legal requirements, could be just the thing to spark participation for those of us who have literally nothing else to do but wait for Nordyke and wishfully the repeal of 626.9.

Or am I just being overly pessimistic about the legal situation in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, etc.?

Post imported post

Marshaul:

I've open carried in concord, no problems. I wouldn't do it in SF though personally. If you wanna team up for some OC activism send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Post imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
    Yes, the topic has been broached recently.

I think any community service would be good- provided we can get adquate participation to make an impression and we have a venue that is sufficiently insulated from gun-free school zones.

The San Diegan contingent is certainly well staffed with ethusiastic supporters- its getting them from the safety of a restaurant that may present a significant challenge.

Its not just highways that need clean up- its around our lakes and trails, in our city and county parks, its caring for public shooting ranges and conducting defense walks where law enforcement is spread too thin or cant regularly patrol.
    Hey, we're getting out there!

Beach cleanups shall be in order!

Post imported post

we should do ALL of I-5. think we'd get our point accross?