• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how to renew permit

AGust82

imported post

How do you renew your pistol permit? Will I get something in the mail like the DMV or do you have to go to the DPS? How close to the expiration date can you renew it?

sdrct

imported post

You are supposed to get a reminder in the mail (I hope you have not moved and failed to update your address). Personally, I'm not taking any chances and when my renewal is 60 days out, I'm going to contact them.

dbernor

imported post

I just renewed mine 2 weeks ago, yes you will receive a letter from the state reminding you that it is time to renew as well as the documents you need to bring.

:exclaim: Remember to bring either your Birth Certificate or your Passport as these are required to renew. :exclaim:

All in all, I renewed during lunch and it took maybe 10 minutes.

Jared

imported post

dbernor wrote:
I just renewed mine 2 weeks ago, yes you will receive a letter from the state reminding you that it is time to renew as well as the documents you need to bring.

:exclaim: Remember to bring either your Birth Certificate or your Passport as these are required to renew. :exclaim:

All in all, I renewed during lunch and it took maybe 10 minutes.

These new requirements are not in the law. This is currently being challenged with the Board of Permit examiners. They require you either bring a passport, birth certificate or a resident alien card. They need to stop making up the law as they go along here.

First they required a home state permit for non-residents. A guy from Rhode Island got that shot down years ago.

This should be next to be shot down.

The last thing to be shot down is their statement that it's a CCW when it's not.

You must renew in person as a resident. It won't take you long at all, they are very quick about it.

dbernor

imported post

They are not in the law, you are correct, they are however clearly stated on your renewal paperwork.

And failure to provide either your Birth certificate or your passport will result in you being turned away and having to go down a 2nd time with said requirements.