• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a 1911 holster

chris in va

imported post

Friend of mine open carries a lot but has a cheapo Fobus that really exposes his full size 1911. I'm trying to find one...cheap...that is leather/kydex, full coverage and OWB. If anyone has one collecting dust in their shoebox, please let me know.

Looking to spend $30 shipped please.

cREbralFIX

imported post

My SERPA worked great until a pebble worked its way into the retention mechanism. That holster landed in the trash at the range once my gun was free of it.

RIAShooter

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
My SERPA worked great until a pebble worked its way into the retention mechanism. That holster landed in the trash at the range once my gun was free of it.

lol seriously?

and did it break the retention mechnism completely or did you just get frustrated with it?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:

lol seriously?

and did it break the retention mechnism completely or did you just get frustrated with it?
Does it matter? It obviously stopped working under normal circumstances, which is simply unacceptable. Would you carry a handgun that you knew could stop working if a single pebble came in contact with it? I wouldn't.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I was at a gun class with the new holster. Quantico Shooting Club's ranges are grassy with some bare areas or patches. We ran through some drills and at some point we did a "shooting while wounded" exercise. I got up to do the next drill and I could not draw my 1911 (fortunately, I just pulled the BUG for the drill). At lunch, I was able to take a close look at the holster and saw the pebble stuck in the mechanism. I popped it out with a screw driver, removed and cleared the gun, and put the holster in the trash.

I think the mechanism is badly designed because it is exposed. It should fail in such a way that you can draw the gun, but not reholster.

RIAShooter

imported post

DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:

lol seriously?

Does it matter? It obviously stopped working under normal circumstances, which is simply unacceptable. Would you carry a handgun that you knew could stop working if a single pebble came in contact with it? I wouldn't.
Every round of ammo in your gun has the potential to blow up, so yes I do trust something that is not 100% proof everyday

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:

lol seriously?

Every round of ammo in your gun has the potential to blow up, so yes I do trust something that is not 100% proof everyday
lol wow, I can't even justify that argument with a response. :D

RIAShooter

imported post

DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:

lol seriously?

I wish you would do that on a lot of my post you seem to reply too

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:

lol seriously?

Uh oh, another conspiracy theorist lol. I don't dislike you more than I dislike anyone else. Your point just made absolutely no sense! Firearm rounds are designed to NOT detonate unless the primer is struck with force by a pointed object. There is no way that the round, in the magazine of your handgun, should detonate under normal circumstances. If yourammo has a tendency to blow up randomly, I would suggest getting different ammo!

Which brings me to the original point. The serpa, yet again, has been proven to FAIL under normal circumstances. It doesn't matter if it was a total breakage or just a temporary glitch. The weapon was not able to be drawn from the holster at some point or another, and that makes it unsafe.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:

lol seriously?

Uh oh, another conspiracy theorist lol. I don't dislike you more than I dislike anyone else. Your point just made absolutely no sense! Firearm rounds are designed to NOT detonate unless the primer is struck with force by a pointed object. There is no way that the round, in the magazine of your handgun, should detonate under normal circumstances. If yourammo has a tendency to blow up randomly, I would suggest getting different ammo!

Which brings me to the original point. The serpa, yet again, has been proven to FAIL under normal circumstances. It doesn't matter if it was a total breakage or just a temporary glitch. The weapon was not able to be drawn from the holster at some point or another, and that makes it unsafe.
Yes I did see a recall on one of the Serpa holsters, but I do not know much details on it. I have never had a problem with the 2one I have.

cREbralFIX

imported post

The question is: how have you tested it?

Just going to the range is not adequate.

Since I don't get into gun fights frequently, I test by going to gun courses. The holsters that constantly survive are traditional models from the big names (and my own make): Milt Sparks, DeSantis, Blade Tech, Bianchi, Safariland, and so on. My Comp-Tac OWB survived also, though they're an up-and-coming name. Note the lack of Galco, Fobus, Uncle Mike, and Blackhawk.

RIAShooter

imported post

DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
RIAShooter wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:

lol seriously?

Your right I was just in a pissy mood yesterday I apologize

soloban

imported post

I recommend the Serpa as well. Easy to draw the weapon and a nice secure *click* when you holster it. Mine came with a paddle and a belt loop attachment, I use the paddle and it works great. Check midwayusa.com, they usually have good prices.

RIAShooter

imported post

soloban wrote:
I recommend the Serpa as well. Easy to draw the weapon and a nice secure *click* when you holster it. Mine came with a paddle and a belt loop attachment, I use the paddle and it works great. Check midwayusa.com, they usually have good prices.
Lol i'm not sure you read the post the majority people on this post are saying serpa's aren't very good quality though I love mine