• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Utah

Harvey041

imported post

I'm in the USAF and I was stationed in Germany before here and I was wondering on the regulations of shooting in the desert. I've never been in a desert in the states before and I was wondering on the laws regarding shooting in the desert here. Can I just drive an hour away and find a nice backstop and let a few hundred rounds go or what do I have to do to be legal? Thanks for your help.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

[size=-1]UTAH STATE LEGISLATURE[/size]
[size=-1]Home | Site Map | Calendar | Code/Constitution | House | Senate | Search[/size]
76-10-508. Discharge of firearm from a vehicle, near a highway, or in direction of any person, building, or vehicle -- Penalties.
(1) (a) A person may not discharge any kind of dangerous weapon or firearm:
(i) from an automobile or other vehicle;
(ii) from, upon, or across any highway;
(iii) at any road signs placed upon any highways of the state;
(iv) at any communications equipment or property of public utilities including facilities, lines, poles, or devices of transmission or distribution;
(v) at railroad equipment or facilities including any sign or signal;
(vi) within Utah State Park buildings, designated camp or picnic sites, overlooks, golf courses, boat ramps, and developed beaches; or
(vii) without written permission to discharge the dangerous weapon from the owner or person in charge of the property within 600 feet of:
(A) a house, dwelling, or any other building; or
(B) any structure in which a domestic animal is kept or fed, including a barn, poultry yard, corral, feeding pen, or stockyard.
(b) It is a defense to any charge for violating this section that the person being accused had actual permission of the owner or person in charge of the property at the time in question.
(2) A violation of any provision of Subsection (1) is a class B misdemeanor.
(3) In addition to any other penalties, the court shall:
(a) notify the Driver License Division of the conviction for purposes of any revocation, denial, suspension, or disqualification of a driver license under Subsection 53-3-220(1)(a)(xi); and
(b) specify in court at the time of sentencing the length of the revocation under Subsection 53-3-225(1)(c).
(4) This section does not apply to a person who:
(a) discharges any kind of firearm when that person is in lawful defense of self or others;
(b) is performing official duties as provided in Sections 23-20-1.5 and 76-10-523 and as otherwise provided by law; or
(c) discharges a dangerous weapon or firearm from an automobile or other vehicle, if:
(i) the discharge occurs at a firing range or training ground;
(ii) at no time after the discharge does the projectile that is discharged cross over or stop at a location other than within the boundaries of the firing range or training ground described in Subsection (4)(c)(i);
(iii) the discharge is made as practice or training for a lawful purpose;
(iv) the discharge and the location, time, and manner of the discharge are approved by the owner or operator of the firing range or training ground prior to the discharge; and
(v) the discharge is not made in violation of Subsection (1).

Amended by Chapter 296, 2008 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WordPerfect 76_10_050800.ZIP 3,914 Bytes

[line]
Sections in this Chapter|Chapters in this Title|All Titles|Legislative Home Page

Last revised: Wednesday, July 23, 2008

That should help you get started. :) BTW... welcome to OCDO!

Kevin

tarzan1888

imported post

Harvey041 wrote:
I'm in the USAF and I was stationed in Germany before here and I was wondering on the regulations of shooting in the desert. I've never been in a desert in the states before and I was wondering on the laws regarding shooting in the desert here. Can I just drive an hour away and find a nice backstop and let a few hundred rounds go or what do I have to do to be legal? Thanks for your help.

The short answer is, that if yo are not in violation of the above statutes and you are not on posted ground the answer is YES.

Tarzan

IANAL