Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Man with a gun every one's scared.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    It was late night shopping at my grocery store. As usual I open Carry my fire arm (full size FN 5.7 in my serpa holster. ) I was standing at the check out waiting to put my items on the check out conveyor belt. Then a man runs up to the manager all up set about some thing.
    The lady Manager get on her phone calling 911. I pay for my Items and ask whats going on?
    This man says my son just seen 2 guys with a gun walking around. They think they are in the parking lot. So I am standing at the exit door with about 10 other people afraid to walk to there cars in the parking lot. I was about 2 feet from the Manager when she was on the line with 911 dispatch. She said to every one looks like the coast is clear we don't know were he is.
    I said to the manager it's crazy out there. So I walk to my car and drive away. As I was leaving the lot I drove buy the police with there head lights off and walking up to meet the manager.
    As I was driving away I was asking my self was. Were they looking for me? I was next to about 10 people with my gun on my hip. No one was even looking at me. Should I go back and explain? I just went home.
    Some times I wonder about open carrying.



  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    I think if they actually were calling about you, you would have known about it! My guess is there may have actually been someone in the parking lot who may or may not have been brandishing a gun or something that looked like one.

    I rarely have any issues OCing, but when I do, I sure as heck know about it!:P

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    Wrong place at the wrong time.

  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    phone guy wrote:
    Wrong place at the wrong time.
    Yup, and if there had been a real MWAG and he entered the store bent on mayhem, it may have been wrong place/wrong time for that person!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    sv_libertarian wrote:
    phone guy wrote:
    Wrong place at the wrong time.
    Yup, and if there had been a real MWAG and he entered the store bent on mayhem, it may have been wrong place/wrong time for that person!
    Very true. Very scary!!

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    All's well that ends well!:celebrate

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Did you get a chance to see how old the kid was, It he was lets say 6-7 I understand how things could get misunderstood, if in-fact he was talking about you.

    But from the way it sound, I do not think it was you he was reported to have seen because you were in the store at the time. There may have been a MWG out there, that's the reason we carry, for nuts in the world like that.

    I think you responded to right way. It would have been a seen if they would have notice your gunand said ." YOU ARE THE GUY AWWW:what:" haha

    PS: Nice meeting you at the meeting in Seattle. I look forward to talking with you again


  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    I wouldn't be surprised if every person there completely missed the fact you were wearing a sidearm. I mean, given the circumstances people get tunnel vision about the threat and don't necessarily see what may be right next to them.

    If someone did see that you were carrying a pistol I would have expected one of two things. Either them saying OMFG this guy has a gun too ! Or, hey, you have a gun...go get that guy !

    Either way, when people are reacting it is very difficult for most to slow down and take in their surroundings, assess the situation properly, and make a conclusion from the choices that presents them. I find in most cases, people that open carry often have a much easier time in processing this hence why it was so easy for you to stay calm and just brush off the situation.

    Glad nothing had to go down but if something did, I think you would have had the calm needed to make the correct decisions.

    ~

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Franklin, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    Actually I don't doubt that it WAS you that caused the alarm. A rumor spreads that there is a man with a gun in the store or parking lot. Immediately, most people will bring up a picture in their mind of what that man SHOULD look like ... Samuel L. Jackson in "Coming to America" wearing a trench coat, tattoos, old tattered clothes, bad teeth, full of hate and anger ... so you are standing there talking to them, and their eyes are scanning the parking lot looking for the guy they EXPECT to see. You didn't fit the profile of MWG, so they didn't see your gun because they didn't LOOK FOR your gun, ON YOU. They saw your face and determined that you didn't look like a man who was there to kill everyone, so they didn't check you out any further. I think that is exactly what happened.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    gravedigger wrote:
    Actually I don't doubt that it WAS you that caused the alarm. A rumor spreads that there is a man with a gun in the store or parking lot. Immediately, most people will bring up a picture in their mind of what that man SHOULD look like ... Samuel L. Jackson in "Coming to America" wearing a trench coat, tattoos, old tattered clothes, bad teeth, full of hate and anger ... so you are standing there talking to them, and their eyes are scanning the parking lot looking for the guy they EXPECT to see. You didn't fit the profile of MWG, so they didn't see your gun because they didn't LOOK FOR your gun, ON YOU. They saw your face and determined that you didn't look like a man who was there to kill everyone, so they didn't check you out any further. I think that is exactly what happened.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there with that one.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    gravedigger wrote:
    Actually I don't doubt that it WAS you that caused the alarm. A rumor spreads that there is a man with a gun in the store or parking lot. Immediately, most people will bring up a picture in their mind of what that man SHOULD look like ... Samuel L. Jackson in "Coming to America" wearing a trench coat, tattoos, old tattered clothes, bad teeth, full of hate and anger ... so you are standing there talking to them, and their eyes are scanning the parking lot looking for the guy they EXPECT to see. You didn't fit the profile of MWG, so they didn't see your gun because they didn't LOOK FOR your gun, ON YOU. They saw your face and determined that you didn't look like a man who was there to kill everyone, so they didn't check you out any further. I think that is exactly what happened.
    I disagree, this just doesn't have that feel that phone guy was the MWAG. Besides that phone guys are all so generic looking.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Franklin, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    Well, we will never know for sure, but if the son was watching store security cameras and saw phone guy on the cams, he probably went running to tell someone without bothering to note a description of the man/men. Perhaps phone guy showed up on TWO cams at once, so the kid, not realizing that the two cams were looking at the same man, reported seeing TWO men with guns ... who knows!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    gravedigger wrote:
    Well, we will never know for sure, but if the son was watching store security cameras and saw phone guy on the cams, he probably went running to tell someone without bothering to note a description of the man/men. Perhaps phone guy showed up on TWO cams at once, so the kid, not realizing that the two cams were looking at the same man, reported seeing TWO men with guns ... who knows!
    But the op was at checkout and had been in the store for awhile. So why so long before the kid got to the manager and also reported the MWAG, actually 2 guyswere in the parking lot when he was standing at the checkout? To many things point to someone else, or 2 someoneswith a gun.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    If it was Phone Guy, then the looks on everyone faces reviewing the security tapes would have been priceless to see.

    Heres the guy...right here with all the other people looking out the door. Whats he doing just standing there talking with everyone? I see the gun on his hip....there the manager right next to him??? LEO to the manager "Didnt you notice the gun?"

    LOL



  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    68

    Post imported post

    This thought has hit me before. Went in grocery shopping, had a person give me a terrified look as I went around a corner. Fast forward to me leaving, pulled out onto the road and two cops car came around the other way into the grocery store parking lot... Made me wonder.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle (Ballard), Washington, USA
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    phone guy wrote:
    It was late night shopping at my grocery store. As usual I open Carry my fire arm (full size FN 5.7 in my serpa holster. ) I was standing at the check out waiting to put my items on the check out conveyor belt. Then a man runs up to the manager all up set about some thing.
    The lady Manager get on her phone calling 911. I pay for my Items and ask whats going on?
    This man says my son just seen 2 guys with a gun walking around. They think they are in the parking lot. So I am standing at the exit door with about 10 other people afraid to walk to there cars in the parking lot. I was about 2 feet from the Manager when she was on the line with 911 dispatch. She said to every one looks like the coast is clear we don't know were he is.
    I said to the manager it's crazy out there. So I walk to my car and drive away. As I was leaving the lot I drove buy the police with there head lights off and walking up to meet the manager.
    As I was driving away I was asking my self was. Were they looking for me? I was next to about 10 people with my gun on my hip. No one was even looking at me. Should I go back and explain? I just went home.
    Some times I wonder about open carrying.

    It's not clear to me if you waited inside the store with everyone else until the manager called the coast clear. If this is the case, I'm curious if there was anything mentioned about illegal activity on the part of the "suspect"? If the "suspect" was just another legal OC'er like yourself then staying inside with everyone else seems to reinforce their idea that being afraid of guns, carried in an otherwiselawful manner, is acceptable.

    I'm sure you'd want to avoid a defensive shoot like any other member on the board and I'm certainly not advocating walking into a situation that is dangerous, but it seemsthat no one communicated anything illegal being done and I can't figure out why you'd buy into theirresponse as appropriate. It seems a better example might have been to say, "Just carrying a gun isn't illegal.", and walked to your car so everyone there could have gotten a little OC lesson.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    I think it all boils down to a "boy" seen this person with a gun. Then the "boy" told his father. The boy was always in the car. So the father told the story 2nd hand to the manager. I think one thing I did learn from this is looking normal and acting normal.
    As Bear said phone guys look normal. I wear normal clothes. I am 57 years young tall with white gray hair. I stand tall and never stare at people. People had to see my gun on my hip but probably dismissed me because I blended in and my actions did not alarm anyone.
    I am happy so many respoded to this thred. I am convinced about how you look,dress and act when you open cary. We just want to set an good example to the sheeple and police.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    I think it all boils down to a "boy" seen this person with a gun. Then the "boy" told his father. The boy was always in the car. So the father told the story 2nd hand to the manager. I think one thing I did learn from this is looking normal and acting normal.
    As Bear said phone guys look normal. I wear normal clothes. I am 57 years young tall with white gray hair. I stand tall and never stare at people. People had to see my gun on my hip but probably dismissed me because I blended in and my actions did not alarm anyone.
    I am happy so many responded to this thread. I am convinced about how you look,dress and act when you open Cary. We just want to set an good example to the sheeple and police.

    ************************************************** ******************

    Something weird happen to my last post. I lost my avatar and my post went to "one"
    What happened?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,026

    Post imported post

    oddly enough, your screen name also lost the space between 'phone' and 'guy'.:?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    phone guy wrote:
    Some times I wonder about open carrying.
    Ah, don't be a wuss.

    Seriously, be brave, man! Be brave. It will take the small actions of many to return OC to its rightful place in society.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post



  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    phoneguy wrote:
    Oh, not this crap again.

    Don't be a wuss!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •