Thread: School zone and ccw

Post imported post

Not being a ccw holder I have a question. Has there been any case law pertaining to a ccw holder transporting an unlocked rifle or shotgun through a school zone? Iinterpret that a ccw allowsthe holderto be an exception and carry in/out of vehicle loaded/unloaded in a school zone. But, a rifle or shotgun has to be carried unloadedand lockedat all times within 1000 ft. Am I correct? I hate to assume anything, I figure a case law link, if existing would clarify this for me.

Post imported post

I'm not aware of any case law applying to "CCWs,",school zones and long guns. In California a license to carry concealed firearm only applies to the firearms listed on the license, so my belief would be that it wouldn't make any difference WRT long guns.

Post imported post

If you carefully read the CA and federal statute you can see that unloaded carry of long guns is not restricted in CA school zone law for legal purposes - so no case is needed.

The federal law does require a case unless you have a license to possess - the best exception is guns made in California or antiques. A security guard gun card is probably the best license. This federal law might be invalid under DC v. Heller now.

Post imported post

The federal law does require a case

lockable gun racks, like those in police car, are also an exemption

Activist Member

Post imported post

Doug Beevers wrote:
    The federal law does require a case unless you have a license to possess - the best exception is guns made in California or antiques. A security guard gun card is probably the best license. This federal law might be invalid under DC v. Heller now.

I think its been invalid since U.S. vs. Lopez, but congress somehow thought by changing the wording to claim that they have authority to regulate it that it was suddenly legitimate.

I wouldn't want to be the test case, but I somewhat doubt if the feds can get a conviction with it.

Here's an article I found about its constitutionality. http://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.p...+L.+J.+637+pdf

Also look at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Lopez

If the law was enforceable, technically, because in the wording of the law congress DECLARES that all guns have been through interstate commerce, thefaulty logicwould lead to you being guilty even if your gun was made in your own state. The current version of the law makes "declarations" where congress says "it is so because we say it is." According to congress, its an impossibility that a gun could originate entirely from one state. It also says that if your gun has ever gone through interstate commerce then by possessing it in a school zone you are affecting commerce. It's a bunch of bull-oney. Try looking up the actual text text itself. The wording is quite rediculous. It's Title 18 Section 922 (Q)