Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57

Thread: VA/SC Reciprocity agreement.

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Looks like CHP holders can carry in SC as soon as they update their website.

    From VA-ALERT

    We were expecting this and it finally happened - Tom Lambert, with the
    Virginia State Police, has just given me the good news - Virginia now
    has full reciprocity with South Carolina as of September 19th!

    SC is now listed on the VSP web site:

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

    NOTE: South Carolina has acknowledge receipt of the signed agreement
    from Virginia, but has NOT yet updated their web site. You might wait
    until the SC site is updated before carrying there:

    http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

    VCDL would like to thank Tom Lambert with the VSP, as well as Bill
    Rentiers with Grassroots RunRights of South Carolina, for their help
    in getting this arrangement finalized.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    Great news! I was miffed last weekend I drove down to SC and had to go unarmed.

    Now all we need is GA and the south is opened up!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Near Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    I went through MS, AL, GA and SC a couple of weekends ago and MS was the only state I knew where there wasn't any restrictions on vehicle carry. Through the rest of the states, I played it safe and unloaded and locked it in the trunk since I didn't know at the time what the firearms laws were for those states.



  4. #4
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, VA
    Posts
    676

    Post imported post

    Looks like a few people should consider getting New Hampshire permits.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

    Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Near Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    I was actually just wondering myself today what the comparison is between NH, FL and UT permits that would help me choose which non-resident permit I would pursue if I were to do so?

    I know that they vary in the number of states recognized. Is there a particular one that combines ease of acquiring with ease on the wallet?

  6. #6
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    72Malibu wrote:
    I was actually just wondering myself today what the comparison is between NH, FL and UT permits that would help me choose which non-resident permit I would pursue if I were to do so?

    I know that they vary in the number of states recognized. Is there a particular one that combines ease of acquiring with ease on the wallet?
    Utah is truly the way to go. With Utah, you get the most states, the permit is much, much cheaper than Florida, andthe renewals are only $10. You just need to take a class taught by a certified Utah instructor.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  7. #7
    Regular Member Smurfologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    536

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote: Does anyone have the actual reciprocity agreement link or .pdf?

    2nd Amendment...........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X
    The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

  8. #8
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    72Malibu wrote:
    I was actually just wondering myself today what the comparison is between NH, FL and UT permits that would help me choose which non-resident permit I would pursue if I were to do so?

    I know that they vary in the number of states recognized. Is there a particular one that combines ease of acquiring with ease on the wallet?
    Utah is truly the way to go. With Utah, you get the most states, the permit is much, much cheaper than Florida, andthe renewals are only $10. You just need to take a class taught by a certified Utah instructor.
    Actually, it depends on what states you want/need to have reciprocity with. In the eastern US, Utah and NH both give you three states that you don't get with Virginia alone: Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Utah also gets you Delaware.

    You do get a few more northern/western states through Utah than from NH, but for me, I have no plans to visit any of those states, anyway.

    And NH is a lot cheaper than Utah for the initial permit: $20. And no additional training required.

  9. #9
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    WVCDL wrote:
    Looks like a few people should consider getting New Hampshire permits.
    I received mine last month!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  10. #10
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    hlh wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:
    WVCDL wrote:
    Looks like a few people should consider getting New Hampshire permits.
    I received mine last month!
    How long did it take? I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago.


    Mine took about 3-4 weeks....looks like a rejected library card, but it works!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  11. #11
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596

    Post imported post

    Smurfologist wrote:
    PT111 wrote: Does anyone have the actual reciprocity agreement link or .pdf?

    2nd Amendment...........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X
    I have a PDF of it and have emailed it to John Pierce to post on the VCDL web site, but haven't heard back from him yet.


  12. #12
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596

    Post imported post

    It's now officially on SC web site:

    http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP



  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greer, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    100

    Post imported post

    South Carolina Reciprocity
    RECIPROCITY

    As of September 12, 2008, states with which South Carolina has reciprocity are:

    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming.

    Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Sweet with my Florida permit, it is now the solid South for CCW.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sccrref's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, , USA
    Posts
    741

    Post imported post

    I was thinking the same thing. With my Utah non res and VA CHP, I can now drive all the way to FL without having to remove my pistola from my side.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?

  17. #17
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, VA
    Posts
    676

    Post imported post

    da7f2q8 wrote:
    So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?
    Va. Code § 18.2-308(P) provides, in part:
    A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section.
    Many states, including Georgia, do not have centralized state permit databases that meet that requirement. We have the same impediment in West Virginia (W.Va. Code § 61-7-6a(d)(2)).

    There is a more thorough discussion of this issue here. As I indicated in a post at the bottom of the first page of that thread, only four states have such a requirement, which is really unnecessary as a practical matter.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

    Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636

    Post imported post

    da7f2q8 wrote:
    So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?
    Another example is FL now has reciprocity with NV. NV & VA do not have reciprocity. I thought the instant data base was the issue, it is not. The reason for not having reciprocity is that VA does not fingerprint.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA, ,
    Posts
    689

    Post imported post

    kenny wrote:
    da7f2q8 wrote:
    So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?
    Another example is FL now has reciprocity with NV. NV & VA do not have reciprocity. I thought the instant data base was the issue, it is not. The reason for not having reciprocity is that VA does not fingerprint.
    Correct me, if i'm wrong, but I think the VA / GA issue is the training requiremet. Training is notrequired for a GFL in GA. I'm with longwatch on this one - VA+FL= easy travel.

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    549

    Post imported post

    Great news. So with my FL resident permit, I'm good in 33 states. The only reason for me to get a VA resident permit is to be able to pack on capital grounds. Hmm, decisions decisions.

  21. #21
    Regular Member lprgcFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    245

    Post imported post

    If I spend a lot of time in a state and I am in proximity to schools - I take the time to get the non-resident license.

    Having a license from the state where the school is usually exempts you from the school zone laws.

  22. #22
    Regular Member ODA 226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Etzenricht, Germany
    Posts
    1,598

    Post imported post

    hlh wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:
    WVCDL wrote:
    Looks like a few people should consider getting New Hampshire permits.
    I received mine last month!
    How long did it take? I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago.


    Mine took 6 weeks, but worth the wait!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    549

    Post imported post

    lprgcFrank wrote:
    If I spend a lot of time in a state and I am in proximity to schools - I take the time to get the non-resident license.

    Having a license from the state where the school is usually exempts you from the school zone laws.
    Good point, forgot about that one.

  24. #24
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596

    Post imported post

    DoubleR wrote:
    kenny wrote:
    da7f2q8 wrote:
    So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?
    Another example is FL now has reciprocity with NV. NV & VA do not have reciprocity. I thought the instant data base was the issue, it is not. The reason for not having reciprocity is that VA does not fingerprint.
    Correct me, if i'm wrong, but I think the VA / GA issue is the training requiremet. Training is notrequired for a GFL in GA. I'm with longwatch on this one - VA+FL= easy travel.
    No - it is the 24/7/365 permit validation issue that WVCDL brought up.


  25. #25
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, VA
    Posts
    676

    Post imported post

    VCDL President wrote:
    DoubleR wrote:
    kenny wrote:
    da7f2q8 wrote:
    So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?
    Another example is FL now has reciprocity with NV. NV & VA do not have reciprocity. I thought the instant data base was the issue, it is not. The reason for not having reciprocity is that VA does not fingerprint.
    Correct me, if i'm wrong, but I think the VA / GA issue is the training requiremet. Training is notrequired for a GFL in GA. I'm with longwatch on this one - VA+FL= easy travel.
    No - it is the 24/7/365 permit validation issue that WVCDL brought up.
    That is correct. West Virginia and Virginia both have reciprocity with Pennsylvania, which does not have a training requirement. Virginia honors Washington permits even though Washington has no training requirement. Likewise, West Virginia has reciprocity with Mississippi and South Dakota, even though those states have no training requirement.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

    Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •