• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA/SC Reciprocity agreement.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Looks like CHP holders can carry in SC as soon as they update their website.

From VA-ALERT

We were expecting this and it finally happened - Tom Lambert, with the
Virginia State Police, has just given me the good news - Virginia now
has full reciprocity with South Carolina as of September 19th!

SC is now listed on the VSP web site:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

NOTE: South Carolina has acknowledge receipt of the signed agreement
from Virginia, but has NOT yet updated their web site. You might wait
until the SC site is updated before carrying there:

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

VCDL would like to thank Tom Lambert with the VSP, as well as Bill
Rentiers with Grassroots RunRights of South Carolina, for their help
in getting this arrangement finalized.

hsmith

imported post

Great news! I was miffed last weekend I drove down to SC and had to go unarmed.

Now all we need is GA and the south is opened up!

72Malibu

imported post

I went through MS, AL, GA and SC a couple of weekends ago and MS was the only state I knew where there wasn't any restrictions on vehicle carry. Through the rest of the states, I played it safe and unloaded and locked it in the trunk since I didn't know at the time what the firearms laws were for those states.

72Malibu

imported post

I was actually just wondering myself today what the comparison is between NH, FL and UT permits that would help me choose which non-resident permit I would pursue if I were to do so?

I know that they vary in the number of states recognized. Is there a particular one that combines ease of acquiring with ease on the wallet?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

72Malibu wrote:
I was actually just wondering myself today what the comparison is between NH, FL and UT permits that would help me choose which non-resident permit I would pursue if I were to do so?

I know that they vary in the number of states recognized. Is there a particular one that combines ease of acquiring with ease on the wallet?
Utah is truly the way to go. With Utah, you get the most states, the permit is much, much cheaper than Florida, andthe renewals are only $10. You just need to take a class taught by a certified Utah instructor.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA

TexasNative

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
72Malibu wrote:

Utah is truly the way to go. With Utah, you get the most states, the permit is much, much cheaper than Florida, andthe renewals are only $10. You just need to take a class taught by a certified Utah instructor.
Actually, it depends on what states you want/need to have reciprocity with. In the eastern US, Utah and NH both give you three states that you don't get with Virginia alone: Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Utah also gets you Delaware.

You do get a few more northern/western states through Utah than from NH, but for me, I have no plans to visit any of those states, anyway.

And NH is a lot cheaper than Utah for the initial permit: $20. And no additional training required.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
PT111 wrote:

Does anyone have the actual reciprocity agreement link or .pdf?

2nd Amendment...........Use it............Or, lose it!!:X
I have a PDF of it and have emailed it to John Pierce to post on the VCDL web site, but haven't heard back from him yet.

sccrref

imported post

I was thinking the same thing. With my Utah non res and VA CHP, I can now drive all the way to FL without having to remove my pistola from my side.

2a4all

imported post

So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?
Va. Code § 18.2-308(P) provides, in part:
A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section.
Many states, including Georgia, do not have centralized state permit databases that meet that requirement. We have the same impediment in West Virginia (W.Va. Code § 61-7-6a(d)(2)).

There is a more thorough discussion of this issue here. As I indicated in a post at the bottom of the first page of that thread, only four states have such a requirement, which is really unnecessary as a practical matter.

kenny

imported post

da7f2q8 wrote:
Another example is FL now has reciprocity with NV. NV & VA do not have reciprocity. I thought the instant data base was the issue, it is not. The reason for not having reciprocity is that VA does not fingerprint.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kenny wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:
Another example is FL now has reciprocity with NV. NV & VA do not have reciprocity. I thought the instant data base was the issue, it is not. The reason for not having reciprocity is that VA does not fingerprint.
Correct me, if i'm wrong, but I think the VA / GA issue is the training requiremet. Training is notrequired for a GFL in GA. I'm with longwatch on this one - VA+FL= easy travel.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Great news. So with my FL resident permit, I'm good in 33 states. The only reason for me to get a VA resident permit is to be able to pack on capital grounds. Hmm, decisions decisions.