• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA/SC Reciprocity agreement.

lprgcFrank

imported post

If I spend a lot of time in a state and I am in proximity to schools - I take the time to get the non-resident license.

Having a license from the state where the school is usually exempts you from the school zone laws.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
If I spend a lot of time in a state and I am in proximity to schools - I take the time to get the non-resident license.

Having a license from the state where the school is usually exempts you from the school zone laws.
Good point, forgot about that one.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

DoubleR wrote:
kenny wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:
So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?
Another example is FL now has reciprocity with NV. NV & VA do not have reciprocity. I thought the instant data base was the issue, it is not. The reason for not having reciprocity is that VA does not fingerprint.
Correct me, if i'm wrong, but I think the VA / GA issue is the training requiremet. Training is notrequired for a GFL in GA. I'm with longwatch on this one - VA+FL= easy travel.
No - it is the 24/7/365 permit validation issue that WVCDL brought up.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
DoubleR wrote:
kenny wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:
So what's preventing reciprocity with GA? VA has reciprocity with FL & NC, which have agreements with GA. How difficult can it be to set up VA & GA?
Another example is FL now has reciprocity with NV. NV & VA do not have reciprocity. I thought the instant data base was the issue, it is not. The reason for not having reciprocity is that VA does not fingerprint.
Correct me, if i'm wrong, but I think the VA / GA issue is the training requiremet. Training is notrequired for a GFL in GA. I'm with longwatch on this one - VA+FL= easy travel.
That is correct. West Virginia and Virginia both have reciprocity with Pennsylvania, which does not have a training requirement. Virginia honors Washington permits even though Washington has no training requirement. Likewise, West Virginia has reciprocity with Mississippi and South Dakota, even though those states have no training requirement.

Virginian683

imported post

South Carolina was the lone anomaly. Now all I need is the $20 NH permit, and I can carry concealed pistols throughout the entire Confederacy!

The South rocks. :cool:

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
DoubleR wrote:
kenny wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:
That is correct. West Virginia and Virginia both have reciprocity with Pennsylvania, which does not have a training requirement. Virginia honors Washington permits even though Washington has no training requirement. Likewise, West Virginia has reciprocity with Mississippi and South Dakota, even though those states have no training requirement.
Thanks, Phil. Ya learn somethin' new every day!

darthmord

imported post

kenny wrote:
da7f2q8 wrote:

Odd... I was most certainly fingerprinted when I applied for my VA CHP. All of my friends who live in the Hampton Roads area and CC have told me they were required to get fingerprinted as well.

Is the fingerprinting an optional requirementset forth by the state that the localities are opting to include as a requirement?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

darthmord wrote:
Odd... I was most certainly fingerprinted when I applied for my VA CHP. All of my friends who live in the Hampton Roads area and CC have told me they were required to get fingerprinted as well.

Is the fingerprinting an optional requirementset forth by the state that the localities are opting to include as a requirement?
Virginia does not require fingerprints as a rule, it is left to the individual jurisdiction to decide to print. Henrico for exemplerequires them, Virginia Beach (I believe) doesnt.

fuldagapflieger

imported post

A big thanks VCDL! I'm sitting in Charleston, SC this evening, after driving down earlier today. Unlike this summer, no stopping at the last NC exit to secure my firearm....able to drive the entire distance with nary a problem. Felt far safer downtown than previously, now that we're legal with our VA CHL! Thanks VCDL

TFred

imported post

tripledipper wrote:
Pro is correct, VA.Beach does not require fingerprints, Chesapeake does, every jurisdiction acts independently. Why no state-wide rule?
Well, the state-wide rule is that local jurisdictions may decide to fingerprint. I suppose it is unlikely to get a modification passed prohibiting fingerprinting for CHPs, (and there are other more important fish to fry in the mean time) so in this case, it's probaby the best it can be for now.

Here's the pertinent section of 18.2-308:

As a condition for issuance of a concealed handgun permit, the applicant shall submit to fingerprinting if required by local ordinance in the county or city where the applicant resides and provide personal descriptive information to be forwarded with the fingerprints through the Central Criminal Records Exchange to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the purpose of obtaining criminal history record information regarding the applicant, and obtaining fingerprint identification information from federal records pursuant to criminal investigations by state and local law-enforcement agencies. However, no local ordinance shall require an applicant to submit to fingerprinting if the applicant has an existing concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this section and is applying for a new five-year permit pursuant to subsection I.

TFred

darthmord

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:

Virginia does not require fingerprints as a rule, it is left to the individual jurisdiction to decide to print. Henrico for exemplerequires them, Virginia Beach (I believe) doesnt.

I've got friend in both Chesapeake and Virginia Beach. I live in Norfolk. I was fingerprinted when I applied for my concealed permit.

I'm certain they were both fingerprinted as well. I want to say my friend from VB had to re-do his fingerprint cards when he last renewed but I don't remember for certain. I'll have to ask him.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

darthmord wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:

I've got friend in both Chesapeake and Virginia Beach. I live in Norfolk. I was fingerprinted when I applied for my concealed permit.

I'm certain they were both fingerprinted as well. I want to say my friend from VB had to re-do his fingerprint cards when he last renewed but I don't remember for certain. I'll have to ask him.
Its possible. I cant remember off the top of my head which jurisdictions require it. I was guessing at VB since that is what I last recall about them.

JimmyN

imported post

No, Virginia Beach doesn't require fingerprints.

Go to Building #11 (Police) at the Municipal Center.
Take a CHP form from the rack, sit down on the bench and fill it out.
Hand it to the clerk along with DL, Birth Certificate, Training Certificate, and $50.

Hold up your right hand and attest that all info is correct, the clerk serves as a notary.

In about 2 weeks your permit will arrive in the mail.

The whole process only requires one trip, and about 15 minutes. It will take longer to find a place to park, and walk over to Building #11, than it will to submit the application.

Jim Thorpe

imported post

So we can almost drive from Virginia to Florida with CCW... But we have to unload and lock in the trunk when passing through Georgia still, right?

2a4all

imported post

Jim Thorpe wrote:
So we can almost drive from Virginia to Florida with CCW... But we have to unload and lock in the trunk when passing through Georgia still, right?
Not exactly. Georgia law allows loaded carry in a vehicle.

http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,5635600_6640623_34375811,00.html

A non-resident of Georgia to whom has been issued a firearm license by a state listed above may carry a firearm while in Georgia in accordance with Georgia law. A person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a firearm license under O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-129 is not forbidden from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.

fuldagapflieger

imported post

New Hampshire non resident costs you $20 along with the downloaded form and a copy of your VA CHL. Takes maybe two weeks. With VA and NH, you're good from Deleware (minus Maryland of course) all the way to Key West, then west to New Mexico! Best bet going!