Thread: NY Times - Heller v.s. D.C. original newspaper

Post imported post

The day after the Heller decision, I went out after work (big mistake) and bought up all the copies of the NY Times Heller v.s. D.C. decision newspapers I could find. I only obtained 4 or so. I should have gone while they were hot off the press.

I'm contemplating selling the copies on eBay so I can purchase a Kimber CDP. I'm looking into preservation techniques and framing to add value to the package. Any idea how much a collectible like this would go for, or where I could find interested buyers of gun memorabilia? I have more copies of USA Today, which is also distributed throughout the U.S., but I doubt many would want those.

Banned

Post imported post

I'm confused. What makes you think a paper that circulates a gazillion units a day is going to be a collectible item? 99% of the people that wanted one could have easily gotten one.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Modern newspapers do not hold much value, people buy them in droves. Some exceptions exist of course, December 7, 1941 Honolulu Star, or the Dallas Morning News announcing the Kennedy Assisination. I can't find ANY newspapers of the last 10 years being worth much, let alone being able to finance anything more valuable than a broken Lorcin.

If you are buying newspapers for collectibles, the paper from the city the event occured in is more valuable than one outside of it. For instance the December 7 Honolulu Star is MANY times more valuable than the New York Times of the same date.

A New York Times with the Heller decision in it is probably worth about the cost of taking it to your local recycler, and in 10-50 years most likely will not be worth the trouble you went through to store in pristine condition. Unless you are a collector of newspapers it isn't worth the effort.

Post imported post

statesman, the local library might be able to help you with regard to preserving techniques, but here's a link i found. http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/preserve.html

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Modern newspapers do not hold much value, people buy them in droves. Some exceptions exist of course, December 7, 1941 Honolulu Star, or the Dallas Morning News announcing the Kennedy Assisination. I can't find ANY newspapers of the last 10 years being worth much, let alone being able to finance anything more valuable than a broken Lorcin.

If you are buying newspapers for collectibles, the paper from the city the event occured in is more valuable than one outside of it. For instance the December 7 Honolulu Star is MANY times more valuable than the New York Times of the same date.

A New York Times with the Heller decision in it is probably worth about the cost of taking it to your local recycler, and in 10-50 years most likely will not be worth the trouble you went through to store in pristine condition. Unless you are a collector of newspapers it isn't worth the effort.
    What about signed copies? Would it be worth more if Mr. Heller signed it?

Post imported post

i use the NYTimes are lining for my cat's litter box.

Post imported post

My cats won't get in the same box with the NY Times. They have too much dignity.

Post imported post

I have a September 12, 2001 New York Times. More as a personal history artifact than a collectible. I don't suppose it is actually worth anything beyond the sentimental value I have for it...

Post imported post

funny..i have a september 10th edition.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    My cats won't get in the same box with the NY Times. They have too much dignity.
    ROFL!!

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    I'm confused. What makes you think a paper that circulates a gazillion units a day is going to be a collectible item? 99% of the people that wanted one could have easily gotten one.
    Actually, those that ran out to get one for collecting & preserving are quite rare. Newspapers deteriorate rapidly, and steps must be taken to preserve them. Those that did run out to get one without taking precautions to preserve it, will not have it for long.

Post imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
    i use the NYTimes are lining for my cat's litter box.
    Rock on!

Post imported post

ScottyT wrote:
    I have a September 12, 2001 New York Times. More as a personal history artifact than a collectible. I don't suppose it is actually worth anything beyond the sentimental value I have for it...
    Nonsense!! Take it to a preservation expert, and you can probably sell it.

Post imported post

TheCiscoKid wrote:
    statesman, the local library might be able to help you with regard to preserving techniques, but here's a link i found. http://www.historybuff.com/newspapers/preserve.html
    Thanks! I'll check that out. I have them all bagged and kept in a cool dark place since the day after the decision was made, and has not been opened since.

I may have to take a drive to D.C. for the first time in my life, and see if I can get all four signed by Heller himself. Then I'll get it preserved using the best materials, and demand $1000 a piece for them on a permanent page ( no auction ).

I know someone who deals in very old letters from famous people. I'll check with him too on pricing.