• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finnish gunman kills 10 at school

Orygunner

imported post

But you can bet it's going to be used as an excuse to create MORE gun control.

They already have mandatory licensing & registration... what more do they want?

...Oh yeah... banning them :( ...
...Orygunner...

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

pkbites wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/23/finland.schools

So much for the strict European style gun control the antis are so proud of. It didn't do squat!
Actually, Finland isn't part of the EU band wagon. They believe in the right to defend home, life and property. This is actually a very bad situation for all the obvious reasons, as well as the implications. Please note how they draw the comparison to the USA on gun ownership at the end of the article. They are trying to make the point that this happens because of high levels of gun ownership. How aboutthe idea that maybe it happened because he went into a gun free zone (assuming the schoolsin Finland are this).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Aww man... more Bottle control! :cry:

"He who would defend against all, defends nothing": Sun Tzu

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Did you all notice that they said the gunman was using a .22 automatic weapon?

This sort of stuff isn't suppose to happen! :what:Not in Europe! :what:They have gun control!!!!!:what::what: Somebody just made this story up! It didn't really happen!:X

;)

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Finland is pretty liberal in allowing gun possession by civilians, but they don't allow concealed carry of handguns. I wonder if they allowed guns in school -- I doubt it. They might consider specifically allowing citizens to carry guns in school in case another nutcase like this one shows up.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Dom wrote:
Finland still has pretty strict gun control laws. There is no right to carry, and all guns have to be stored in a safe or disassembled. All guns are registered. If you transport a firearm, it has to be for a legitimate reason such as hunting or going to a range.

http://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokset/1998/en19980001.pdf
You...you mean he broke the law?:what:Oh, My!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let's keep in perspective here that 10 people are dead because an apparent sociopath decided to kill them like fish in a barrel. My prayers and sympathies go out to their friends and families for their loss.

What this shows I think more than anything that this is not about American culture, or war torn countries culture or like matters. This yet another school shooting shows once again that there are bad people in the world who will harm and kill innocents just because they can and that we are all vulnerable to meeting such evil to varying degrees. The police won't save you. The government won't save you. You will be at that moment on your own and you will be armed and prepared to save yourself and your loved ones or perhaps even innocents around you such as others' children, or you will not. If you are not, you will be a statistic. If you are you may or may not be pilloried or declared a hero. Those of us who are of a sheepdog mentality will know that you were just a person who had previously made a decision to survive and protect those around you if possible.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Let's keep in perspective here that 10 people are dead because an apparent sociopath decided to kill them like fish in a barrel. My prayers and sympathies go out to their friends and families for their loss.

What this shows I think more than anything that this is not about American culture, or war torn countries culture or like matters. This yet another school shooting shows once again that there are bad people in the world who will harm and kill innocents just because they can and that we are all vulnerable to meeting such evil to varying degrees. The police won't save you. The government won't save you. You will be at that moment on your own and you will be armed and prepared to save yourself and your loved ones or perhaps even innocents around you such as others' children, or you will not. If you are not, you will be a statistic. If you are you may or may not be pilloried or declared a hero. Those of us who are of a sheepdog mentality will know that you were just a person who had previously made a decision to survive and protect those around you if possible.
Hear hear

ETA: So, what is 'sociopath'? I was struck by a line in Wikipedia's entry..."The essential feature for the diagnosis is a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

'Twould seem to apply to another entity too!