• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DSHS

esstac

imported post

So my wife had an appointment today at the Mt Vernon DSHS. While she was in the lobby she noticed a weapons and firearms sign that said, "If weapons or firearms are suspected or viewed police will immediately be called" and RCW 9.41.300 was cited below the quote.

I am assuming it is referring to this,
(c) The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress and ingress open to the general public;

This particular part of the building with its own entrance is for interviewing people for services and such. From reading this it looks like 9.41.290 preempts this. Am I correct in thinking this?

esstac

imported post

The signs were in the lobby witch is open to the public. There is a reception desk and someone comes and brings you to the back viz a door, no clue if its locked or buzzed to gain entry.

heresolong

imported post

However the law clearly states "excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment". Unless the Mount Vernon DSHS is providing inpatient treatment (ie can you be admitted and spend 24/7 there) then this policy of theirs is preempted by the state.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
"An activists job is never done"
You do not become a "dissident" just because you decide one day to take up this most unusual career. You are thrown into it by your personal sense of responsibility, combined with a complex set of external circumstances. You are cast out of the existing structures and placed in a position of conflict with them. It begins as an attempt to do your work well, and ends with being branded an enemy of society.-- Vaclav Havel, former dissident, now President of the Czech Republic

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Ugh, DSHS.

I'll be contacting their HQ on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

"An activists job is never done"

Lonnie:

Would you also want to contact the Washington Department of Personnel? Their building in downtown Oly (Franklin and 6th?) is posted "no weapons" and has the gun with line across it and cites RCW 9.41. Clearly pre-empted, but I can't contact them due employment conflicts.