• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunsmith in NOVA

RonnieRaygun04

imported post

Hey guys,

I've posted here once or twice (haven't done it in a while because I was off getting married), but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good gunsmith in Northern Virginina. I live in Arlington County, but would be willing to take a bit of a drive if the gunsmith was good enough.

The reason is that I have a broken Taurus in my safe (first gun I ever bought, and the last Taurus that I'll ever buy) that I'd like to get fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

RonnieRaygun04 wrote:
Hey guys,

I've posted here once or twice (haven't done it in a while because I was off getting married), but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good gunsmith in Northern Virginina. I live in Arlington County, but would be willing to take a bit of a drive if the gunsmith was good enough.

The reason is that I have a broken Taurus in my safe (first gun I ever bought, and the last Taurus that I'll ever buy) that I'd like to get fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not covered in their lifetime warranty?

nova

imported post

Not sure but I think Gilbert Small Arms Range in Lorton has a gunsmith there. Might be worth calling to find out.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

RonnieRaygun04 wrote:
Hey guys,

When I got married,people told me that I was "off" too! :)

I've never used them, but Gander Mountain stores have gunsmiths...maybe someone here has used them before and can give you some feedback.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gilberts has a gunsmith there a couple of days a week. Call first to find out which days, or you can leave it for him. www.gilbertrange.com

ALso P&B All American Firearms in Front Royal. Little further away, but still NORTHERN :lol:, and gives a discount to VCDL members, he tells me. pandbfirearms@aol.com

kle

imported post

RonnieRaygun04 wrote:
What's broken with it?

Marco

imported post

I'd send it to Taurus and let them fix it, even if it isn't covered under the warranty.
MayI ask what is wrong with it?

Conaso

imported post

Most if not all of the gun repairers in NoVa are, at best, armorers. On two occasions they botched up installing replacement sites (Gilbert's and Blue Ridge). On three occasions I used Sandy at NoVa gunworks to drill and tap bases, cut down a dovetail. Excellent work, no BS. I plan on bringing my rifle to him for trigger work and have no reservations.

RonnieRaygun04

imported post

I may try those two places and see about it. Thanks!

As for what's wrong with it, when I took it to the range the first time and fired it, after a few shots the cylinder failed to turn all the way. This meant that when I pulled the trigger for the next shot, the hammer instead struck the cylinder (leaving a nasty dent). This happened twice.

The more disturbing problem was that every once in a while when the cylinder did rotate, the firing pin would strike the primer enough to make a dent in it, but not enough for the ammunition to go off.

I did actually send it to Taurus, and when it came back I put some snap caps in it to see if the cylinder was turning properly, and sure enough it wasn't. At this point, I'd just like to see how much it would cost to have it repaired, and if the cost exceeds what I originally paid for it, sell it as parts.

Marco

imported post

Send it back!!!
Politely insist they repair or replace.
Don't spend your own money fixing it.

I had a problem with aPT92 yrs ago.

AbNo

imported post

I had a buddy that was having a problem with the safety on his PT92.

He mailed it off, they fixed it, and they mailed it back.

Said PT92 is now made of awesome. :celebrate

Lysander

imported post

RonnieRaygun04 wrote:
Hey guys,

They haven't shut him down (thankfully!) so don't forget about M&M Gunsmithing in Alexandria (204 S Union St, Alexandria - (703) 739-2150 call ahead, however).

cREbralFIX

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Northern Virginia Gun Works in Newington. Owner is Sandy Garrett (spelling??). This shop is very well known and highly rated in the local gun culture. I have used their services four times.

BARF. PUKE. They're crap and they took money for incomplete work.

They performed a trigger job on my SIG P220. The son complained that the slide was filthy and charged me $40 to clean the INSIDE of it. The gun would not fire reliably (light strikes). I took it back to them and gave them a chance to fix it. Their "fix" was to return it to the original condition...and still charge me nearly $200!

They refused to refund my money. In the end, I paid nearly $200 for a cleaning and a 15 pound trigger.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Yeah, didn't know about Bruce Gray at the time...this occurred at least five years ago.