• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another walmart post

David.Car

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
(1), I would never show my CC permit to some weaselly retail store manager. It's none of their damn business. If a cop wants to see it, that's different.

(2), Don't argue with these people. WalMart's Corporate Security Chief, Jason Schmidt, says OC in their stores is OK. He overrules the goofy store managers. His phone number is 253-770-4399. You tell the manager if he has a problem to call Mr. Schmidt, because Mr. Schmidt said it's OK, and if he doesn't stop violating his company's own policies and ring your purchase up like any other customer, you'll be sure to have a conversation with Mr. Schmidt yourself regarding the manager's and his employees' behavior.

I bought ammo at the Pasco, WA Wal-Mart last week while OCing and nobody said a word.
I believe I saw in a thread that Jason has moved on, but the number should still be valid for Corporate Security

tricityguy

imported post

OK. Then don't use Jason's name, just say "Wal-Mart Corporate Security says..." and everything else still applies. :)

heresolong

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
OK. Then don't use Jason's name, just say "Wal-Mart Corporate Security says..." and everything else still applies. :)
Or take tricityguy shopping with you so he can bitch them out for you. :D Then you can just say "Yeah, what he said!!!!"

tricityguy

imported post

If you're not concealing, fine, but if you are then you might actually be obligated to.
Nope. 9.41.050 only requires me to display to, besides LEOs, "any other person when and if required by law to do so." There is no law that spells out the circumstances under which I would be required by law to do so, ergo, I don't have to do it. Effectively, that wording is useless; it means nothing without the backing of whatever law it speaks of.

My assumption here is that 9.41.050 leaves the door open for cities to enact laws requiring CPL holders to display upon demand to whomever they choose (perhaps city officials, etc); but there is no state law, so unless the city you're in has one and if the store manager is well versed in it and if you're concealing and if the manager calls the police and if the police want to take you to the station under that city law and if the local prosecutor wants to bring charges under a law that would undoubtedly be unpopular ("I have to stop what I'm doing and show my permit to any goon who asks for it?").. then you could have a problem. That's a huge load of "ifs"...

tricityguy

imported post

kparker - Deal. :) I won't show my permit to anyone, except LEO, potentially a city official if they tried to make a stink of it, and a gun store when buying a weapon. But Joe-random-member-of-the-public - and let me tell you, retail store managers are definitely in that camp - can ask for my permit with one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first. :dude:

Bear 45/70

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
kparker - Deal. :) I won't show my permit to anyone, except LEO, potentially a city official if they tried to make a stink of it, and a gun store when buying a weapon. But Joe-random-member-of-the-public - and let me tell you, retail store managers are definitely in that camp - can ask for my permit with one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first. :dude:
Your attitude is in severe need of adjustment.

tricityguy

imported post

Oh, Bear, that's just your opinion. It's OK; I take no offense. I've read enough of your posts to know that you & I will get along great in person. One of these days I'll buy you a beer and we can talk about my bad attitude. :)

Bear 45/70

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Oh, Bear, that's just your opinion. It's OK; I take no offense. I've read enough of your posts to know that you & I will get along great in person. One of these days I'll buy you a beer and we can talk about my bad attitude. :)
The idea of OC is to show everyone, that includes cops,that we are not a bunch of extremist gun freaks to be feared. Your attitude does nothing to promote the idea of OC as normal for normal people. I quit drinking well before you were born, but you can buy me a root beer and we can talk. ;)

tricityguy

imported post

See, Bear, you're all wrong on me. I have a great attitude. I'm not, however, going to be pestered by random people demanding to see my papers. I'll have a pleasant conversation with anyone who wants to talk. I'll even be polite to those who want to turn up their noses. However, I have no desire to pull my wallet out and show ID and permits just because some clown who thinks he has the right to investigate me demands such. Nobody in their right mind would put up with that in any other setting and legally going about my business with my sidearm changes nothing in that respect for me. If some guy doesn't think I'm legit, he can call the police and I'll be happy to show my permit to them.

You've no idea how old I am, so please don't assume you're Papa Bear and I'm merely a whippersnapper. I'd still be delighted to buy you a root beer some day, though I can't help but laugh as I just finished reading a true story about root beer. Let's hope your real name isn't Burt. :lol:

heresolong

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
See, Bear, you're all wrong on me. I have a great attitude. I'm not, however, going to be pestered by random people demanding to see my papers. I'll have a pleasant conversation with anyone who wants to talk. I'll even be polite to those who want to turn up their noses. However, I have no desire to pull my wallet out and show ID and permits just because some clown who thinks he has the right to investigate me demands such. Nobody in their right mind would put up with that in any other setting and legally going about my business with my sidearm changes nothing in that respect for me. If some guy doesn't think I'm legit, he can call the police and I'll be happy to show my permit to them.
+1 There is absolutely no requirement in law that I show my papers to any random person who walks up and asks for them. That would be absolutely ridiculous. If I were ever asked for my permit by anyone other than law enforcement I would decline. If they have a valid legal reason for asking (city ordinance) I would comply but research their ordinance when I got home to make sure that it was, in fact, a legal request.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Nope, not Burt or Ernie either.:D You do as you please, but I think that a better way to show everyone that we are doing nothing wrong and have nothing to hide is to cooperate. Then again, just how many people out there even know what a CPL is and would ever ask to see it?
rolleyes.gif

tricityguy

imported post

Then again, just how many people out there even know what a CPL is and would ever ask to see it?
Oh, you're exactly right and we're essentially debating a non-issue as I doubt this happens often. Clearly the Wal-Mart manager mentioned in this thread did ask, but I'd wager such a request is quite abnormal.

heresolong

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Then again, just how many people out there even know what a CPL is and would ever ask to see it?
Oh, you're exactly right and we're essentially debating a non-issue as I doubt this happens often. Clearly the Wal-Mart manager mentioned in this thread did ask, but I'd wager such a request is quite abnormal.
Although since it did happen, we aren't debating a non-issue. A non-issue would be one that had never happened. It was brought up that something happened, we chimed in with what our responses would be.

One could also argue that since open carry is rare it is a non-issue to discuss how one should deal with it. Obviously that would make this forum somewhat pointless. It does happen, and we discuss it here.

As far as Bear's statement that we should comply with any old Joe's request to see our paperwork, I wonder what your response would be to someone who walked up to you at a stoplight and asked to see your driver's license. Same situation, isn't it?

tricityguy

imported post

A non-issue would be one that had never happened. It was brought up that something happened, we chimed in with what our responses would be.
Good point. I stand corrected.

Bear 45/70

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
A non-issue would be one that had never happened. It was brought up that something happened, we chimed in with what our responses would be.
Good point. I stand corrected.
If one incident makes something an issue, then you guys need to get a life. You need way more things to do in your life.
rolleyes.gif