Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Midlothian gun store owner agrees to changes

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636

    Post imported post

    http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.a...9-23-0173.html

    A Virginia gun store has agreed to change some sales practices to resolve a lawsuit filed by the City of New York.
    The Bob Moates Sport Shop of Midlothian, Va., was one of 27 out-of-state gun stores sued by the city in 2006.
    Mayor Michael Bloomberg claimed the shops were making it too easy for people to buy guns on behalf of criminals.
    Moates was one of the last holdouts in the case. Most had already settled.
    Each side is claiming victory.
    Under the settlement, the shop has agreed to install a better security camera system and a computer to keep track of gun tracing information. But the city is paying for both improvements.
    The store also is buying equipment that will help it spot fake IDs. -- The Associated Press


  2. #2
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    This makes the hairs on my entire body stand up.....oh, and I feel nauseous......

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    A lot of time and money went into this issue, compounded by health concerns. Bob Moates lost nothing and gained some new security equipment. Not a bad deal if you ask me. The press will always put their spin on it though.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    A lot of time and money went into this issue, compounded by health concerns. Bob Moates lost nothing and gained some new security equipment. Not a bad deal if you ask me. The press will always put their spin on it though.

    Yata hey
    The negative press in itself seems like a hit to the movement and to his business. I guess sometimes publicity is publicity but in the gun shop world I can't see it as all that beneficial.

    Maybe he got some fancy new security equipment or whatever but If I had to choose I'd just assume it not have happened.

  5. #5
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    I think all of us would prefer it hadn't happened, but once rung, we can't un-ring the bell. This is probably the best result we could have hoped for, given all the circumstances.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    The store also is buying equipment that will help it spot fake IDs.

    Is this some device that scans your ID? If it does I bet it is linked to a NYC-operated gun owner database.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    All this just reminds me what an odious little carpetbagger that Bloomberg is.....

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892

    Post imported post

    I bet I could walk into Bob Moates and they would tell me that everything is fine and they did the right thing. They made a deal with the Devil.

    The last time I made a purchase one of the ol' timers was reluctant to help me out. Got smart with me when I asked if I could dry fire a 1911. I bought that 1911 that day, but now I wish I would have just walked out.

    I'll never shop there again. They will never scan my id for Bloomberg's list.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    The store also is buying equipment that will help it spot fake IDs.
    *

    Is this some device that scans your ID? If it does I bet it is linked to a NYC-operated gun owner database.
    Actually these scanners are getting quite common.

    They can scan your ID and see if there are any wants or warrants out on you. Basically it is tied into the usual criminal data bases, but it also has access to data that is more current and from more sources.

    It can also check and verify the validity of the ID via a number of means. It is a legit system, and you will be seeing more of them in use at security check points and entrances to sensitive facilities in the next few months. It would not surprise me to see these at gun show entrances in the near future.:what:

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    Actually these scanners are getting quite common.

    They can scan your ID and see if there are any wants or warrants out on you. Basically it is tied into the usual criminal data bases, but it also has access to data that is more current and from more sources.

    It can also check and verify the validity of the ID via a number of means. It is a legit system, and you will be seeing more of them in use at security check points and entrances to sensitive facilities in the next few months. It would not surprise me to see these at gun show entrances in the near future.:what:

    Regards
    While I am definitely not a proponent of big brother watching us, I would not be completely opposed to such scanners at gun shows.

    Now before anyone jumps on this, let me assure you that I know that a want or warrant does not mean you are a felon - not convicted yet etc. Still it could go a long way to showing that the people at such shows are good citizens.

    Just don't want them keeping the info or tracking us and I don't know how to prevent that.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    596

    Post imported post

    T Dubya wrote:
    I bet I could walk into Bob Moates and they would tell me that everything is fine and they did the right thing. They made a deal with the Devil.

    The last time I made a purchase one of the ol' timers was reluctant to help me out. Got smart with me when I asked if I could dry fire a 1911. I bought that 1911 that day, but now I wish I would have just walked out.

    I'll never shop there again. They will never scan my id for Bloomberg's list.
    Don't overreact. I have an alert coming out tonight or tomorrow that explains the real deal. Bottom line: nothing is going to New York - no video, no data. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a gun there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •