• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Midlothian gun store owner agrees to changes

kenny

imported post

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-09-23-0173.html

A Virginia gun store has agreed to change some sales practices to resolve a lawsuit filed by the City of New York.
The Bob Moates Sport Shop of Midlothian, Va., was one of 27 out-of-state gun stores sued by the city in 2006.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg claimed the shops were making it too easy for people to buy guns on behalf of criminals.
Moates was one of the last holdouts in the case. Most had already settled.
Each side is claiming victory.
Under the settlement, the shop has agreed to install a better security camera system and a computer to keep track of gun tracing information. But the city is paying for both improvements.
The store also is buying equipment that will help it spot fake IDs. -- The Associated Press

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A lot of time and money went into this issue, compounded by health concerns. Bob Moates lost nothing and gained some new security equipment. Not a bad deal if you ask me. The press will always put their spin on it though.

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
A lot of time and money went into this issue, compounded by health concerns. Bob Moates lost nothing and gained some new security equipment. Not a bad deal if you ask me. The press will always put their spin on it though.

Yata hey
The negative press in itself seems like a hit to the movement and to his business. I guess sometimes publicity is publicity but in the gun shop world I can't see it as all that beneficial.

Maybe he got some fancy new security equipment or whatever but If I had to choose I'd just assume it not have happened.

TexasNative

imported post

I think all of us would prefer it hadn't happened, but once rung, we can't un-ring the bell. This is probably the best result we could have hoped for, given all the circumstances.

nova

imported post

The store also is buying equipment that will help it spot fake IDs.

Is this some device that scans your ID? If it does I bet it is linked to a NYC-operated gun owner database. :uhoh:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bet I could walk into Bob Moates and they would tell me that everything is fine and they did the right thing. They made a deal with the Devil.

The last time I made a purchase one of the ol' timers was reluctant to help me out. Got smart with me when I asked if I could dry fire a 1911. I bought that 1911 that day, but now I wish I would have just walked out.

I'll never shop there again. They will never scan my id for Bloomberg's list.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
The store also is buying equipment that will help it spot fake IDs.

Is this some device that scans your ID? If it does I bet it is linked to a NYC-operated gun owner database. :uhoh:

Actually these scanners are getting quite common. :banghead:

They can scan your ID and see if there are any wants or warrants out on you. Basically it is tied into the usual criminal data bases, but it also has access to data that is more current and from more sources.

It can also check and verify the validity of the ID via a number of means. It is a legit system, and you will be seeing more of them in use at security check points and entrances to sensitive facilities in the next few months. It would not surprise me to see these at gun show entrances in the near future.:what:

Regards

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Actually these scanners are getting quite common. :banghead:

They can scan your ID and see if there are any wants or warrants out on you. Basically it is tied into the usual criminal data bases, but it also has access to data that is more current and from more sources.

It can also check and verify the validity of the ID via a number of means. It is a legit system, and you will be seeing more of them in use at security check points and entrances to sensitive facilities in the next few months. It would not surprise me to see these at gun show entrances in the near future.:what:

Regards
While I am definitely not a proponent of big brother watching us, I would not be completely opposed to such scanners at gun shows.

Now before anyone jumps on this, let me assure you that I know that a want or warrant does not mean you are a felon - not convicted yet etc. Still it could go a long way to showing that the people at such shows are good citizens.

Just don't want them keeping the info or tracking us and I don't know how to prevent that.

Yata hey

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I bet I could walk into Bob Moates and they would tell me that everything is fine and they did the right thing. They made a deal with the Devil.

The last time I made a purchase one of the ol' timers was reluctant to help me out. Got smart with me when I asked if I could dry fire a 1911. I bought that 1911 that day, but now I wish I would have just walked out.

I'll never shop there again. They will never scan my id for Bloomberg's list.
Don't overreact. I have an alert coming out tonight or tomorrow that explains the real deal. Bottom line: nothing is going to New York - no video, no data. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a gun there.