• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lol the bull$%@# propoganda the brady bunch pushes

RIAShooter

imported post

Alright this has gotten me into trouble before so anything written above this line was written by me anything under this line is from the brady bunches websites.

I wanna shake the hand of the man who can hit a target accurately at 4 miles with the Barrett .50.

.50 Caliber Rifles

In 1987, Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc., patented its self-described “armor-penetrating” .50 caliber BMG sniper rifle. Capable of destroying armored personnel carriers, aircraft and bulk fuel and ammunition sites, the .50 caliber sniper rifle is now proliferating in the civilian market. Accurate at up to 2,000 yards (20 football fields end-to-end) it can inflict effective damage to targets over four miles away. With more power on impact then any other semi-automatic rifle legally available on the civilian market, the .50 caliber represents a serious threat to our local law enforcement and national security.

Despite their destructive threat .50 caliber sniper rifles are only subject to the same minimal Federal regulations as shotguns, hunting rifles and smaller target rifles. Under Federal law, gun dealers may sell .50 caliber rifles to buyers 18 or older who pass a Brady background check. If a buyer purchases a .50 caliber rifle from a private seller, however, such as at a gun show, there is no age limit under Federal law to purchase the rifle and no background check.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Yea I know a whole bunch of thugs that buy $5,000+ BMG's. :quirky They're a definite security threat too. A five foot long, 30lbs.rifle is easily concealable.

Interesting wikipedia find:
The banning of .50 caliber rifles to non-governmental owners in California and discussion of similar legislation in other states has led Barrett to offer rifles in a proprietary caliber of similar performance, the .416 Barrett that is smaller in diameter, faster, and has an improved ballistic coefficient that could penetrate better.[citation needed][/suP]

In response to California's ban of civilian ownership of .50 caliber rifles, Barrett suspended sales and service to all law enforcement agencies in California.[4][/suP]

Good for them. Nice of a manufacturer to have some balls and stand up for citizens rather than just go after the money.

Statesman

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Yea I know a whole bunch of thugs that buy $5,000+ BMG's. :quirky They're a definite security threat too. A five foot long, 30lbs.rifle is easily concealable.

Interesting wikipedia find:
The banning of .50 caliber rifles to non-governmental owners in California and discussion of similar legislation in other states has led Barrett to offer rifles in a proprietary caliber of similar performance, the .416 Barrett that is smaller in diameter, faster, and has an improved ballistic coefficient that could penetrate better.[citation needed][/suP]

In response to California's ban of civilian ownership of .50 caliber rifles, Barrett suspended sales and service to all law enforcement agencies in California.[4][/suP]

Good for them. Nice of a manufacturer to have some balls and stand up for citizens rather than just go after the money.

4 MILES ?!?! impossible! The wind would certainly affect trajectory.

No kidding. When I walked into a firearms shop not too long ago, and saw "Not for Sale in CA", I immediately asked about what that meant. When I was informed that they were high capacity mags, and California's legislature banned it, I immediately wanted it.

I wish other gun manufactures would stand up toCali also.

Phssthpok

imported post

Statesman wrote:
4 MILES ?!?! impossible! The wind would certainly affect trajectory.

Careful. You might get sucked into thinking they wrote something they didn't.....Which is exactly what they want. While that 'article' is technically accurate, it is deceptively worded to to sound worse than it actually is.

Accurate at up to 2,000 yards (20 football fields end-to-end) it can inflict effective damage to targets over four miles away.
2000 is only 6000 feet, or just over a mile....no where NEAR the 4 miles EFFECTIVE range (which mean the range at which the projectile can still deliver enough terminal energy to the target to do the desired damage.) And while I'm sure it is fully capable of all the destruction their hand wringing diatribe describes, such incidents would seem to be exclusively the domain of a full-auto ammo-dump since a single round is highly unlikely to do enough damage to 'destroy' anything (I doubt even a tracer through the gas tank could 'destroy' a Geo Metro.:banghead:)

They are right about one thing though....it is a 'threat' to our (increasingly militarized) police force; But they fail to realize that IS national security.

squisher

imported post

.300 WinMag can't be too far behind on OOMPH. Overall numbers I'm sure are "less," but at the kinds of ranges they're talking about, for all intents and purposes (short of putting a hole in an engine block) it's the same end result yeah? So are they going after it next?

Stupid.

(or for comparison: .300 Weatherby Magnum, or .300 Remington Ultra Mag)

The .50 just SOUNDS scary. "Feelings" vs. Logic. Why is it that Logic loses so often?

"Armor Piercing" isn't all that tough to accomplish in a rifle, I mean really.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

squisher wrote:
.300 WinMag can't be too far behind on OOMPH. Overall numbers I'm sure are "less," but at the kinds of ranges they're talking about, for all intents and purposes (short of putting a hole in an engine block) it's the same end result yeah? So are they going after it next?

I'm not sure... what do you think?

WIN/MAG loads range from 3,200 ft/lbs to 3,600 ft/lbs. Neither of the other, newer magnums reach anywhere near 5,000 ft/lbs.

.50BMG loads range from 11,500 ft/lbs to 14,900 ft/lbs.

I think that's just a little bit of a difference.

Phssthpok said:
They are right about one thing though....it is a 'threat' to our (increasingly militarized) police force; But they fail to realize that IS national security.
[/quote]

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

squisher

imported post

No doubt the .50 is a HUGE round, but short of shooting through an engine block, are the .300 series any less useful as sniper-type rounds as far as "soft" targets go?

Not arguing the might of the BMG (I've GOT to get me one of those!), just trying to make something of a comparison to show the silliness of the Brady Bunch.

(Maybe a better comparison might have been the Nitro Express line? Still not as large I know, but also quite big).

If the "fear" is a large round that can penetrate well, there area numberof rifles that can penetrate quite well at decent ranges. Granted, the .50 is unmatched, but if they're focusing on that one now, what's next?

yeahYeah

imported post

i hear a lot more convenience store are being held up with .50 bmg's. the gangsta's roll in with the gun on a shopping cart.

squisher

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
i hear a lot more convenience store are being held up with .50 bmg's. the gangsta's roll in with the gun on a shopping cart.

QFT

What the anti-"Assault Weapons" people won't tell you is that very seldom is any crime committed with what is considered a "military-style assault weapon." :banghead:

yeahYeah

imported post

squisher wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:

QFT

What the anti-"Assault Weapons" people won't tell you is that very seldom is any crime committed with what is considered a "military-style assault weapon." :banghead:
yep..."assault weapons" are hated because of their looks. i don't know about you guys, but i love my AK's. :celebrate

icode

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
squisher wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:

QFT

yep..."assault weapons" are hated because of their looks. i don't know about you guys, but i love my AK's. :celebrate
Hell, I like 'em BECAUSE they're scarey:lol:I got a friend that is lookin to buy a Barrett .50. Of course I'm pressuring him to do so, that way I can shoot it :celebrate

yeahYeah

imported post

icode wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:
squisher wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:

QFT

Hell, I like 'em BECAUSE they're scarey:lol:I got a friend that is lookin to buy a Barrett .50. Of course I'm pressuring him to do so, that way I can shoot it :celebrate
a $4/shot .50 BMG is perfect for hitting beer bottles out of the sky! :lol:

icode

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
icode wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:
squisher wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:

QFT

a $4/shot .50 BMG is perfect for hitting beer bottles out of the sky! :lol:
hey, just so I don't have to buy the ammo :lol:

Huck

imported post

"Capable of destroying armored personnel carriers, aircraft and bulk fuel and ammunition sites,"

Only when fired from a machine gun. I used a M2 a lot when I was in the National Guard and it takes quite a few rounds to destroy a car with one let alone a APC.One round will do a lot of damage but not catastrophic damage like the brady bunch claims.

Besides, if only one .50 calibre BMG round can do all that much damage then why does the Military use rockets, missles, and artillery to take out APCs, aircraft,and fuel and ammo dumps? If what the Bradys claim was true it'd be very cost effective to use a Barret rifle to do that instead of using all of that other stuff.

The Bradys are just doing their usual PSH (pant @#$%ting hysterics) with no facts to support them. I'm of the opinion that the Bardy's motto is "why tell the truth when we can lie instead?"

RIAShooter

imported post

squisher wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:

QFT

Oh contrair this is actually what they say (just pulled this off the website, so once again don't accuse me of trolling, you know who you are):

[align=left]
Assault Weapons

The Federal Assault Weapons Act, banning the sale of semiautomatic military-style assault weapons, was passed as part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. President Clinton signed it into law on September 13, 1994.
[/align]
[align=left]The Act led to a dramatic decline in the incidence of assault weapons traced to crime. In the five-year period (1990-1994) before enactment of the Assault Weapons Act, assault weapons named in the Act constituted 4.82% of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) crime gun traces nationwide. After the law’s enactment, however, these assault weapons made up only 1.61% of the guns ATF had traced to crime - a drop of 66% from the pre-ban rate.[/align]
[align=left]The Assault Weapons Act contained a “sunset” provision, requiring it to be renewed by 2004. Although President George W. Bush had promised to renew the ban, he allowed the ban to expire in September of 2004. The Assault Weapons Act reduced the use of high-firepower assault weapons available for criminal use. The expiration of the ban was a serious blow to public safety.[/align]

Sonora Rebel

imported post

That reminds me... :uhoh:

AK-47: You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted.

M-16: Your foes laugh when you mount your bayonet.

Moison-Nagant: You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.

yeahYeah

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
That reminds me... :uhoh:

AK-47 M-16 Moison-Nagant

You can intimidate your foe with the bayonet mounted.
You foes laugh when you mount your bayonet.
You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.
Mosin Nagant Humor.... :celebrate