• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapon Retention

Pecos Bill

imported post

The city in which I live is has an ordinance against open carry so Ihave verylittle experience in this area. I have carried openly in other states that allow this, but I seem to be a bit uncomfortable about being set up by evil doers and having my sidearm taken away.

Is this a real possibility? Are there classes available that deal with weapon retention? Are thumbreak holsters recommended? I wear a Tac-Four with an open topKirkpatrick holster.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mokarov_9mm

imported post

So sad to hear bout ordinance you have,but High Noon Holsters has a nice selection for semi-autos at a fair price....The one that holds my Makarov9mm uses 2 smalltention screws so it can only be pulled straight up (no thumb break needed)

You can also try Uncle Mike's......gd luck.

O.C.A

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Lonewati wrote:
The city in which I live is has an ordinance against open carry so Ihave verylittle experience in this area. I have carried openly in other states that allow this, but I seem to be a bit uncomfortable about being set up by evil doers and having my sidearm taken away.

Is this a real possibility? Are there classes available that deal with weapon retention? Are thumbreak holsters recommended? I wear a Tac-Four with an open topKirkpatrick holster.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What state are you in? Are you sure the ordinance is legal. In Michigan we have preemption, but most local towns have an ordinance against firearms. They all are illegal, but they keep them on the books to discourage any kind of carry. So check and see if your state has a similar preemption law.

Pecos Bill

imported post

The state is Kansas, the city is Topeka. Unfortunately, even with state pre-emption, cities can and do regulate open carry. Topeka, being the state capitial, wants to be politically correct, hence this ordinance.

I'll check out the Serpa holster by Blackhawk.

I OC'd in Utah while on vacation there this past summer. It was a relief not to wear a long tailed shirt over a t-shirt in the heat. No one commented or even seemed to notice.

BTW, where are we on carrying openly or concealed in National Parks? I read that the deadline for input was extended, but have heard nothing since.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Lonewati wrote:
The state is Kansas, the city is Topeka. Unfortunately, even with state pre-emption, cities can and do regulate open carry. Topeka, being the state capitial, wants to be politically correct, hence this ordinance.

I OC'd in Utah while on vacation there this past summer. It was a relief not to wear a long tailed shirt over a t-shirt in the heat. No one commented or even seemed to notice.

BTW, where are we on carrying openly or concealed in National Parks? I read that the deadline for input was extended, but have heard nothing since.
Wait a minute. Kansas has full preemption, that is that local governments can't restrict firearms? If so, I don't see how any city can go against state law. What kind of preemption law does Kansas have if it doesn't preempt anything???? You might want to check into the Kansas preemption law and find this out.

Tucker6900

imported post

Venator wrote:
Lonewati wrote:

Wait a minute. Kansas has full preemption, that is that local governments can't restrict firearms? If so, I don't see how any city can go against state law. What kind of preemption law does Kansas have if it doesn't preempt anything???? You might want to check into the Kansas preemption law and find this out.
Ive looked around and havent been able to find anything in relation to a Preemption law concerning OC in KS. Still looking.

Dustin

imported post

Venator wrote:
Lonewati wrote:

Any and everything I've ever read about Liberty & Rights to individuals always says the same.

NO COUNTY/PARISH, City or District can put forth laws that restrict or conflict with it's own state laws.

So Timbuctoo, can't ban Firearms, if the The states constitution says they are legal.

No matter how long the Sheiriff has been around.

BUT, Carrying into Private Business's on Private Property will always be left up to the OWNER of that Property.

Pecos Bill

imported post

Google up the website of the Attorney General of Kansas. I t is very specific about open carry. Wichitia is another city thatgoes contrary to open carry.

I don't understand it, but it's a fact we have tolive with. Carry openly and if you have a CCW, kiss it good bye.

tarzan1888

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
Most of us here swear by the SERPA line of holsters from Blackhawk!..... .

Ah Contrair........

I don't know anyone who wears a "Serpa"

Most of my holsters are made by Bianchi.

All of the holsters I wear have some sort of retention, whether a thumb break or a latch in the case of my CarryLok.

82_l.jpg

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/CatList.php?numSubCat=1

Tarzan

Tucker6900

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
like_the_roman wrote:

Ah Contrair........

Most of my holsters are made by Bianchi.

All of the holsters I wear have some sort of retention, whether a thumb break or a latch in the case of my CarryLok.

82_l.jpg

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/CatList.php?numSubCat=1

Tarzan
I looked into those when I was looking for a holster. The Serpa Blackhawk Level 2 Retention holster works great.

Legba

imported post

According to the "State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms" (2005 - 26th edition) guide I got from ATF, the only listed Topeka city ordinances relating to firearms pertain to minors. This guide is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject, but I don't see any reference at all to the carrying of weapons otherwise. Also, if Kansas has preemption, then I don't see how the city has any say in it. Preemption usually limits cities to being able to zone gun shops and prohibit the firing of weapons within city limits (without a compelling reason anyway).

That said, I'm not a lawyer and I have been run in on weapons charges before, so I'd advise you to consult unabridged copies of the state laws and city ordinances, and possibly an attorney as well, but it looks to me like you shouldn't have any problems carrying. "Shouldn't" - some cities have indicated their unwillingness to submit to preemption (e.g. Cleveland).

-ljp

like_the_roman

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
like_the_roman wrote:

Ah Contrair........

Tarzan

That's why I said "most," not all.

Looking through posts in the various forums would show the SERPA is very popular.

When I picked up my SEPRA at Diamondback Police Supply here in Tucson, there were three other people ahead of me in line were buying some too. Half the people I see who are OC'ing at the range use SERPAs (the other half use cheap Fobus/Uncle Mike's stuff.)

On the other hand, I don't know and have never seen anyone use a Bianchi Carrylok, probably because the retention is not as intuitive as the SERPA's (middle finger vs. index finger.)

The OP should find both and try them out.

tarzan1888

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
.....That's why I said "most," not all........

I am sure the Serpa is a good holster, but I don't like them.

It may be an age thing. I am also a leather guy who is adept at using my middle finger.

I truly don't know anyone who wears a serpa, but I'm smart enough to not say that most people don't.

What ever you chose, make sure it is quality and works well for you AND it has real retention.

Tarzan

M@D H@TTER

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
like_the_roman wrote:
.....That's why I said "most," not all........

I am sure the Serpa is a good holster, but I don't like them.

It may be an age thing. I am also a leather guy who is adept at using my middle finger.

I truly don't know anyone who wears a serpa, but I'm smart enough to not say that most people don't.

What ever you chose, make sure it is quality and works well for you AND it has real retention.

Tarzan
My Serpa holster from Blackhawk fits that bill for me :cool: Your gun stays put until you want it, IMHO.

Tucker6900

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Edited -

Open carry IN VEHICLES

That dont make no sense! :)D)

Not sure if there is such a thing. Obviously Kansas Law differs from Michigan law. In MI, if you get in your vehicle, you weapon is automatically considered concealed and it order to be within the law to carry, you must have a cpl.

tarzan1888

imported post

M@D H@TTER wrote:
TarzanMy Serpa holster from Blackhawk fits that bill for me :cool: Your gun stays put until you want it, IMHO.

As I stated above, I don't know anyone who wears one, and I don't care for them.

There are a lot of things I don't care for, that otherpeople likeand that is OK too, BUT there are a lot of guys on this forum and others that LOVE them, and I think that is great. If it works for you and allows you to carry safely and effectively, I am all for it FOR YOU. I do what works for me and that's OK too.

I suggest that anyone considering a holster, go to a store where they can try it on their belt, with their gun (or one just like it ) in the holster and see if they like it and if it will work for them.

Tarzan

cREbralFIX

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
Most of us here swear by the SERPA line of holsters from Blackhawk! which provide very good retention at a fairly reasonable price.

http://www.blackhawk.com/default.asp

Choose "holsters" on the menu on the left and then "SERPA" on the sub-menu.

SERPAS are crap. I just finished up talking about their easy to mess up retention system. We had done some shooting drills on the ground. In my case, a pebble wound up in the mechanism, locking up the button. Fortunately, I was able to pick it out with a small screw driver and get my gun out of it. I trashed the holster and went back to my Blade-Tech IWB.