Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Officer shot during a traffic stop in VA

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    581

    Post imported post

    http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/H...p;pageId=1.1.1

    According to latest news on TVofficer only had a minor injury and his bullet proof vest saved his life - thank God! Still very little information on the shooter and his motives. Either way, all of us who carry on a daily basis (especially OC in a vehicle) should be extremely careful in the near future as i bet a lot of local cops will be very uncomfortable seeing a gun in the pulled over vehicle and probably also have an itchy trigger finger. Anyway, the most important thing isthat officer is alive and noone else was hurt during the shooting andthe chase (shooter doesn't count - he deserved it).



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

    This is why cops get a little nervous.....

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bottom of Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    418

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

    This is why cops get a little nervous.....

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.
    Whatcha wanna bet he wasn't legally armed?

  4. #4
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    This is why I EXPECT cops to confront me and ask questions. Any GOOD cop WOULD.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

    This is why cops get a little nervous.....

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.
    Whatcha wanna bet he wasn't legally armed?
    He was in Virginia... So as long as the gun was not hidden in the vehicle, he was not under 18, he was not a felon, and he was not prohibited by court order from possessing a weapon......

    It would be open carry and legal.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bottom of Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    418

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

    This is why cops get a little nervous.....

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.
    Whatcha wanna bet he wasn't legally armed?
    He was in Virginia... So as long as the gun was not hidden in the vehicle, he was not under 18, he was not a felon, and he was not prohibited by court order from possessing a weapon......

    It would be open carry and legal.
    It's the "he was not a felon" part that I'm betting I'll win on. My limited jaunts in criminal justice classes taught me that you don't usually jump straight to shooting cops just like you don't go from having never touched a cigarette to smoking crack the next day. That and the not hidden from sight part.

    There are exceptions, of course, but I'm a betting man, and I'll put my money on prior conviction of a felony and he didn't pull a gun off of the dashboard...reckon the news will show one of us is right?



  7. #7
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    BG offed himself

    splash one bogey
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    He was in Virginia... So as long as the gun was not hidden in the vehicle, he was not under 18, he was not a felon, and he was not prohibited by court order from possessing a weapon......

    It would be open carry and legal.
    I'll bet you a coke he was a felon.

    Glad to see the officer was ok!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    hsmith wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    He was in Virginia... So as long as the gun was not hidden in the vehicle, he was not under 18, he was not a felon, and he was not prohibited by court order from possessing a weapon......

    It would be open carry and legal.
    I'll bet you a coke he was a felon.

    Glad to see the officer was ok!
    Could be right..... Have to see what is released.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Don't forget mentally ill, or was a fugitive, or in illegal possesion of drugs, or addicted to drugs,or renounced his citizenship, or dishonorable discharged, or convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence or was an illegal alien. I really doubt he was open carrying

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    Don't forget mentally ill, or was a fugitive, or in illegal possesion of drugs, or addicted to drugs,or renounced his citizenship, or dishonorable discharged, or convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence or was an illegal alien. I really doubt he was open carrying
    You just never know... Right?

    So many ways someone can be illegally openly carrying a gun.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    Yet it almost never happens. Go figure.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    Yet it almost never happens. Go figure.
    How do youknow?

    You cannot get guys here to show ID... Do you think they are going to confess to a crime? :shock:




  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    OK so in your career in law enforcement how many illegal open carriers have you arrested? BTW we are on the verge of hijacking a thread so I'll let you have the last word.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

    This is why cops get a little nervous.....

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.
    How do you know he was legally armed or illegally armed? The news story doesn't seem to have all the facts(big suprise), so we can't tell either way. You're kind of making a huge assumption aren't you?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    485

    Post imported post

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.
    Yes, thankfully. Reports are still detail sketchy but he was apparently shot out of the passenger side window. The driver was found some time later, shot from what appears to be a self inflicted wound... According to WaPo.

    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!
    Fixed it for you...

    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallydriving but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!



  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    eyesopened wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

    This is why cops get a little nervous.....

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.
    How do you know he was legally armed or illegally armed? The news story doesn't seem to have all the facts(big suprise), so we can't tell either way. You're kind of making a huge assumption aren't you?
    Pardon? Where did identify the guy in the story? You drew your own conclusion.

    But legally armed was in reference to the legality of open carry itself since I could not POSSIBLY know this man's background to the extent to draw such a conclusion.

    This all goes back to the "being disarmed during a traffic stop" as this guy here attempted to kill a cop while he was armed in the car.

    Do you think more cops are going to be a little on edge seeing you with a gun in your car for the next couple of weeks?

    But I know... that is their problem and they will have to just get over it because you are exercising your rights.

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    I'm not sure how this turned into an argument.
    229, FYI, he wasn't legally armed when stopped. He had already killed his wife.

    ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - An Arlington man who shot an Alexandria police officer during a traffic stop before committing suicide may also have killed his wife.

    Why does it matter if it was a police officer or not?
    My feeling is ...Thank goodness the GOOD GUY was wearing a vest!

    There are times to argue and times to be thankful. This seems like a good time to just be thankful!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    VA Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    eyesopened wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

    This is why cops get a little nervous.....

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.
    How do you know he was legally armed or illegally armed? The news story doesn't seem to have all the facts(big suprise), so we can't tell either way. You're kind of making a huge assumption aren't you?
    Pardon? Where did identify the guy in the story? You drew your own conclusion.

    But legally armed was in reference to the legality of open carry itself since I could not POSSIBLY know this man's background to the extent to draw such a conclusion.

    This all goes back to the "being disarmed during a traffic stop" as this guy here attempted to kill a cop while he was armed in the car.

    Do you think more cops are going to be a little on edge seeing you with a gun in your car for the next couple of weeks?

    But I know... that is their problem and they will have to just get over it because you are exercising your rights.
    Those darned citizens daringly excercising there rights without checking with an leo first. :what:

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    I'm not sure how this turned into an argument.
    229, FYI, he wasn't legally armed when stopped. He had already killed his wife.

    ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - An Arlington man who shot an Alexandria police officer during a traffic stop before committing suicide may also have killed his wife.

    Why does it matter if it was a police officer or not?
    My feeling is ...Thank goodness the GOOD GUY was wearing a vest!

    There are times to argue and times to be thankful. This seems like a good time to just be thankful!
    Who is arguing? We are all simply communicating. One of the problems here is that so many see someone as "arguing" whenthey do not agree withorlike whatwhat is being said.

    And finally... as we kick around the term "legally" armed to no end..... How is it not legal to be in possession of a firearm if you just stabbed your wife?

    If breaking the law puts this into play.... anyone that commits any crime is not.... under your post... permitted to legally carry a firearm. :shock:

    But I a going to chalk it up to you not posting your thoughts accurately. OK?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    Those darned citizens daringly excercising there rights without checking with an leo first. :what:
    Ya!! So you understand when a cop is not comfortable with your being armed during a traffic stop then, right?

    Wait!!! You were being facetious!!!


    Wait I was getting earlier was many prior posts where people basically said....

    The cop had not right to disarm them during the stop and if he felt uncomfortable.. that was his problem. They had the right to be armed and it would be an illegal seizure of their property if the cop took it.

    So in light of the shooting.. of a cop... during a traffic stop.... by the occupant!!!!!

    It was a good time to point this out as this really happened and was not some "what if" scenario.

    You "should" be able to sympathise with the cop that does a traffic stop as this is what he can faces every time he approaches a vehicle containing a stranger.



  22. #22
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    I'm not sure how this turned into an argument.
    229, FYI, he wasn't legally armed when stopped. He had already killed his wife.

    ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - An Arlington man who shot an Alexandria police officer during a traffic stop before committing suicide may also have killed his wife.

    Why does it matter if it was a police officer or not?
    My feeling is ...Thank goodness the GOOD GUY was wearing a vest!

    There are times to argue and times to be thankful. This seems like a good time to just be thankful!
    Who is arguing? We are all simply communicating. One of the problems here is that so many see someone as "arguing" whenthey do not agree withorlike whatwhat is being said.

    And finally... as we kick around the term "legally" armed to no end..... How is it not legal to be in possession of a firearm if you just stabbed your wife?

    If breaking the law puts this into play.... anyone that commits any crime is not.... under your post... permitted to legally carry a firearm. :shock:

    But I a going to chalk it up to you not posting your thoughts accurately. OK?
    Geese

    OK. I'm glad everybody is having a meaningful discussion. I agree, someone that just committed a murder is entitled to carry a firearm until convicted....
    and it's a good thing the cop had his vest on.

    It's too pretty an evening to think of such things. I'm just enjoying the sunset Al Gore made for us!:shock:

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Maryland, USA
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    Another couple of minutes on 395 North and the guy would have been in D.C. The legality of his carrying of a firearm would have been moot. Seeing how the guy allegedly just killed his wife, I wouldn't think he was exactly on a law-abiding streak.

    I'm glad the cop was wearing a vest. From what I've read, the bullet penetrated his "bulletproof" vest. There is no such thing as bulletproof, but merely bullet resistant. Luckily, it slowed that bullet down enough.

  24. #24
    Regular Member MeBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Right Here, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    257

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

    This is why cops get a little nervous.....

    Thankfully... he had on his vest.
    Whatcha wanna bet he wasn't legally armed?
    He was in Virginia... So as long as the gun was not hidden in the vehicle, he was not under 18, he was not a felon, and he was not prohibited by court order from possessing a weapon......

    It would be open carry and legal.
    Lot of "if's" there 229....... your crystal ball working real good right now? :what:Let's wait for the facts before we call him "legally" or "illegally" carrying. All we "know" if that he shot an officer and now he's dead. I'll wait for the facts.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    Open Carry or not, Concealed carry or not. He wasn't using his gun in a lawful practices. Therefore he wasn't legally armed.

    I respect police but I have to ask about your argument LEO.

    Officers detaining a father eating funnel cake at the fair or convincing an the owner of a pizza joint to throw out customers is a little different then pulling some body over and effectively conducting a traffic stop.

    I do practice OC'in sometimes and if I where to be pulled over I would make darn sure that my hands where well within the officers view (crossed on the steering wheel, and the gun was visible if OC'in. If CHP'in then I would make sure I would tell the officer I was armed and where the gun was located. I know you don't have to in Virginia, but I would rather an officer know all the information when I'm pulled over and hes conducting a traffic stop.

    Now stopping me on the street is another story and I probably won't tell them anything nor would I show Id if stopped. I just don't feel I need to show my idea to anybody because they are "demanding it". Just like I wouldn't tell you what type of sandwhich I was eating either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •