• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer shot during a traffic stop in VA

LEO 229

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Those darned citizens daringly excercising there rights without checking with an leo first. :what:
Ya!! So you understand when a cop is not comfortable with your being armed during a traffic stop then, right?

Wait!!! You were being facetious!!! :lol:

Wait I was getting earlier was many prior posts where people basically said....

The cop had not right to disarm them during the stop and if he felt uncomfortable.. that was his problem. They had the right to be armed and it would be an illegal seizure of their property if the cop took it.

So in light of the shooting.. of a cop... during a traffic stop.... by the occupant!!!!!

It was a good time to point this out as this really happened and was not some "what if" scenario.

You "should" be able to sympathise with the cop that does a traffic stop as this is what he can faces every time he approaches a vehicle containing a stranger.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
I'm not sure how this turned into an argument.
229, FYI, he wasn't legally armed when stopped. He had already killed his wife.

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - An Arlington man who shot an Alexandria police officer during a traffic stop before committing suicide may also have killed his wife.

Why does it matter if it was a police officer or not?
My feeling is ...Thank goodness the GOOD GUY was wearing a vest!

There are times to argue and times to be thankful. This seems like a good time to just be thankful!

Who is arguing? We are all simply communicating. One of the problems here is that so many see someone as "arguing" whenthey do not agree withorlike whatwhat is being said. :cool:

And finally... as we kick around the term "legally" armed to no end..... How is it not legal to be in possession of a firearm if you just stabbed your wife?

If breaking the law puts this into play.... anyone that commits any crime is not.... under your post... permitted to legally carry a firearm. :shock:

But I a going to chalk it up to you not posting your thoughts accurately. OK? :lol:

Geese:banghead:

OK. I'm glad everybody is having a meaningful discussion. I agree, someone that just committed a murder is entitled to carry a firearm until convicted....
and it's a good thing the cop had his vest on.

It's too pretty an evening to think of such things. I'm just enjoying the sunset Al Gore made for us!:shock:

echo6tango

imported post

Another couple of minutes on 395 North and the guy would have been in D.C. The legality of his carrying of a firearm would have been moot. Seeing how the guy allegedly just killed his wife, I wouldn't think he was exactly on a law-abiding streak.

I'm glad the cop was wearing a vest. From what I've read, the bullet penetrated his "bulletproof" vest. There is no such thing as bulletproof, but merely bullet resistant. Luckily, it slowed that bullet down enough.

MeBaby

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

This is why cops get a little nervous..... :uhoh:

Thankfully... he had on his vest.
Whatcha wanna bet he wasn't legally armed?
He was in Virginia... So as long as the gun was not hidden in the vehicle, he was not under 18, he was not a felon, and he was not prohibited by court order from possessing a weapon......

It would be open carry and legal. ;)
Lot of "if's" there 229....... your crystal ball working real good right now? :what:Let's wait for the facts before we call him "legally" or "illegally" carrying. All we "know" if that he shot an officer and now he's dead. I'll wait for the facts. ;)

rob99vmi04

imported post

Open Carry or not, Concealed carry or not. He wasn't using his gun in a lawful practices. Therefore he wasn't legally armed.

I respect police but I have to ask about your argument LEO.

Officers detaining a father eating funnel cake at the fair or convincing an the owner of a pizza joint to throw out customers is a little different then pulling some body over and effectively conducting a traffic stop.

I do practice OC'in sometimes and if I where to be pulled over I would make darn sure that my hands where well within the officers view (crossed on the steering wheel, and the gun was visible if OC'in. If CHP'in then I would make sure I would tell the officer I was armed and where the gun was located. I know you don't have to in Virginia, but I would rather an officer know all the information when I'm pulled over and hes conducting a traffic stop.

Now stopping me on the street is another story and I probably won't tell them anything nor would I show Id if stopped. I just don't feel I need to show my idea to anybody because they are "demanding it". Just like I wouldn't tell you what type of sandwhich I was eating either.

MeBaby

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Open Carry or not, Concealed carry or not. He wasn't using his gun in a lawful practices. Therefore he wasn't legally armed.

I respect police but I have to ask about your argument LEO.

Officers detaining a father eating funnel cake at the fair or convincing an the owner of a pizza joint to throw out customers is a little different then pulling some body over and effectively conducting a traffic stop.

I do practice OC'in sometimes and if I where to be pulled over I would make darn sure that my hands where well within the officers view (crossed on the steering wheel, and the gun was visible if OC'in. If CHP'in then I would make sure I would tell the officer I was armed and where the gun was located. I know you don't have to in Virginia, but I would rather an officer know all the information when I'm pulled over and hes conducting a traffic stop.

Now stopping me on the street is another story and I probably won't tell them anything nor would I show Id if stopped. I just don't feel I need to show my idea to anybody because they are "demanding it". Just like I wouldn't tell you what type of sandwhich I was eating either.

Agree except with bolded text above. I wouldn't tell. If the officer then asks I would acknowledge that I was. If asked why I didn't notify I would say very politely, "well friend,my carryingisn't an issue because neither of us are a threat to the other". And possibly "also not required by law"(politely).

Just my opinion, YMMV. :D