• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer shot during a traffic stop in VA

Chaingun81

imported post

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=7498447&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

According to latest news on TVofficer only had a minor injury and his bullet proof vest saved his life - thank God! Still very little information on the shooter and his motives. Either way, all of us who carry on a daily basis (especially OC in a vehicle) should be extremely careful in the near future as i bet a lot of local cops will be very uncomfortable seeing a gun in the pulled over vehicle and probably also have an itchy trigger finger. Anyway, the most important thing isthat officer is alive and noone else was hurt during the shooting andthe chase (shooter doesn't count - he deserved it).

LEO 229

imported post

Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

This is why cops get a little nervous..... :uhoh:

Thankfully... he had on his vest.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallyarmed but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

Whatcha wanna bet he wasn't legally armed?

LEO 229

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

He was in Virginia... So as long as the gun was not hidden in the vehicle, he was not under 18, he was not a felon, and he was not prohibited by court order from possessing a weapon......

It would be open carry and legal. ;)

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

He was in Virginia... So as long as the gun was not hidden in the vehicle, he was not under 18, he was not a felon, and he was not prohibited by court order from possessing a weapon......

It's the "he was not a felon" part that I'm betting I'll win on. My limited jaunts in criminal justice classes taught me that you don't usually jump straight to shooting cops just like you don't go from having never touched a cigarette to smoking crack the next day. That and the not hidden from sight part.

There are exceptions, of course, but I'm a betting man, and I'll put my money on prior conviction of a felony and he didn't pull a gun off of the dashboard...reckon the news will show one of us is right?

hsmith

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I'll bet you a coke he was a felon.

Glad to see the officer was ok!

LEO 229

imported post

hsmith wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I'll bet you a coke he was a felon.

Glad to see the officer was ok!
Could be right..... Have to see what is released.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Don't forget mentally ill, or was a fugitive, or in illegal possesion of drugs, or addicted to drugs,or renounced his citizenship, or dishonorable discharged, or convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence or was an illegal alien. I really doubt he was open carrying

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Don't forget mentally ill, or was a fugitive, or in illegal possesion of drugs, or addicted to drugs,or renounced his citizenship, or dishonorable discharged, or convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence or was an illegal alien. I really doubt he was open carrying
You just never know... Right?

So many ways someone can be illegally openly carrying a gun.

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Yet it almost never happens. Go figure.
How do youknow? ;)

You cannot get guys here to show ID... Do you think they are going to confess to a crime? :shock:

:lol:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

OK so in your career in law enforcement how many illegal open carriers have you arrested? BTW we are on the verge of hijacking a thread so I'll let you have the last word.

eyesopened

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

How do you know he was legally armed or illegally armed? The news story doesn't seem to have all the facts(big suprise), so we can't tell either way. You're kind of making a huge assumption aren't you?

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

Yes, thankfully. Reports are still detail sketchy but he was apparently shot out of the passenger side window. The driver was found some time later, shot from what appears to be a self inflicted wound... According to WaPo.

Fixed it for you...

Just goes to show that SOME PEOPLEmay be legallydriving but are up to no good and actually want to cause you harm.....!!!

LEO 229

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

How do you know he was legally armed or illegally armed? The news story doesn't seem to have all the facts(big suprise), so we can't tell either way. You're kind of making a huge assumption aren't you?
Pardon? Where did identify the guy in the story? You drew your own conclusion. :lol:

But legally armed was in reference to the legality of open carry itself since I could not POSSIBLY know this man's background to the extent to draw such a conclusion.

This all goes back to the "being disarmed during a traffic stop" as this guy here attempted to kill a cop while he was armed in the car.

Do you think more cops are going to be a little on edge seeing you with a gun in your car for the next couple of weeks?

But I know... that is their problem and they will have to just get over it because you are exercising your rights. :banghead:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm not sure how this turned into an argument.
229, FYI, he wasn't legally armed when stopped. He had already killed his wife.

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - An Arlington man who shot an Alexandria police officer during a traffic stop before committing suicide may also have killed his wife.

Why does it matter if it was a police officer or not?
My feeling is ...Thank goodness the GOOD GUY was wearing a vest!

There are times to argue and times to be thankful. This seems like a good time to just be thankful!

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Pardon? Where did identify the guy in the story? You drew your own conclusion. :lol:

But legally armed was in reference to the legality of open carry itself since I could not POSSIBLY know this man's background to the extent to draw such a conclusion.

This all goes back to the "being disarmed during a traffic stop" as this guy here attempted to kill a cop while he was armed in the car.

Do you think more cops are going to be a little on edge seeing you with a gun in your car for the next couple of weeks?

But I know... that is their problem and they will have to just get over it because you are exercising your rights. :banghead:
Those darned citizens daringly excercising there rights without checking with an leo first. :what:

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I'm not sure how this turned into an argument.
229, FYI, he wasn't legally armed when stopped. He had already killed his wife.

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) - An Arlington man who shot an Alexandria police officer during a traffic stop before committing suicide may also have killed his wife.

Why does it matter if it was a police officer or not?
My feeling is ...Thank goodness the GOOD GUY was wearing a vest!

There are times to argue and times to be thankful. This seems like a good time to just be thankful!

Who is arguing? We are all simply communicating. One of the problems here is that so many see someone as "arguing" whenthey do not agree withorlike whatwhat is being said. :cool:

And finally... as we kick around the term "legally" armed to no end..... How is it not legal to be in possession of a firearm if you just stabbed your wife?

If breaking the law puts this into play.... anyone that commits any crime is not.... under your post... permitted to legally carry a firearm. :shock:

But I a going to chalk it up to you not posting your thoughts accurately. OK? :lol: