• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Duel Citizen

PolskiG

imported post

So I have a question.I recently took advantage of my right to obtain a Polish passport and citizen-certificate because my dads from Poland which is part of the EU now. I was born here so I have US citizenship as well. I'm currently in the process of filing paper work to make it offical.

Does being aduel-citizen complicate gun ownership or getting a renewal for CWPin my resident state or with the FEDs?

This question is totally random but maybe there some duelleys here?

EOD

imported post

I wouldn't think it would complicate things at all.

Not sure if you know this, but the US ONLY recognizes US citizenship. According to the US there is no such thing as dual citizenship. Once you obtain your US citizenship you renounce your ties to the other country.

Hope this helps.

PolskiG

imported post

thanks for the reply. I've always been a citizen of Poland through birth according to its laws.

US State Department says:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

"U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship."

-Im not applying for Polish citizenshipjust creating a record.

-I didn't volunteer for this

-I don't have the intention of giving up my US citizenship

This is getting off-topic I'll stop mention of this. Thanks again.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Correct. Dual citizenship is not illegal. The US only recognizes US citizenship, and in fact, when you apply for US citizenship and get approved you have to send a letter to your previous country of citizenship to renounce. Canada, for example, pretty much throws this letter away when they get one from a Canadian who became an american citizen.

amlevin

imported post

Both my Father and my Sister held dual citizenships by birth (they were born in foreign countries of US Citizens). The only thing that truly cancels your US Citizenship is voting in the other country. Until you take that step, dual citizenship is only good for conversation and subjects of online forum posting.

When you fill out a form 4473 (just did one about an hour ago) you have to state your citizenship. At that point I would forget the "dual citizenship" as the US is both your country of residence and also citizenship.

heresolong

imported post

amlevin wrote:
The only thing that truly cancels your US Citizenship is voting in the other country. Until you take that step, dual citizenship is only good for conversation and subjects of online forum posting.
Not necessarily true. I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada by virtue of having been born in the US and raised in Canada. I have voted in Canadian elections when I was a resident there. (There is no non-resident voting there, even for citizens). The US generally doesn't care. I have been told, as has my father, that so long as I have an American birth certificate I am an American, so long as I don't show up at an embassy to renounce my citizenship.

The benefits are, however, that I can get a Canadian firearms owners certificate and it is easier to get back and forth across the border.

amlevin

imported post

heresolong wrote:
amlevin wrote:
The only thing that truly cancels your US Citizenship is voting in the other country. Until you take that step, dual citizenship is only good for conversation and subjects of online forum posting.
Not necessarily true. I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada by virtue of having been born in the US and raised in Canada. I have voted in Canadian elections when I was a resident there. (There is no non-resident voting there, even for citizens). The US generally doesn't care. I have been told, as has my father, that so long as I have an American birth certificate I am an American, so long as I don't show up at an embassy to renounce my citizenship.

The benefits are, however, that I can get a Canadian firearms owners certificate and it is easier to get back and forth across the border.

Here is a site that covers some FAQ's on Dual Citizenship http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html

It seems that around 1990 the State Department stopped getting their shorts knotted over people voting in foreign countries with "dual citizenship". Likewise with their trying to use their "Other Passport" to enter the US. Under the old rules these actions were grounds for revocation of US Citizenship (their claim was that both actions showed intent of the party to surrender or renounce their citizenship.

Note: It seems that in some parts of this country "foreigners" are allowed to vote in our elections. Why shouldn't we all be allowed to vote in theirs?