• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Order your SC. Open Carry Petition Car Poster Today!

Chickenwang

imported post

SCDecal.JPG

South Carolina your window decals are NOW AVAILABLE

Prices include standard taxes and packaging, shipping to be determined per order.

1-5 posters: $92.65 plus shipping via fedex
6-10 posters: $81.75 plus shipping via fedex
11 or more posters: $70.85 plus shipping via fedex

Please email quantity and contact information to:
ajohnson@thomasrepro.com
512-302-4664

Thanks,
Andy

--

Example:

attachment.php

hp-hobo

imported post

Here is the petition, started by me;

http://www.petitiononline.com/scocp/petition.html

More importantly, who requested/commisioned this "car poster" to be produced and why is the money apparently going to Arkansas? I can tell you for a fact that I have not been contacted and offered any of the procedes to put toward advertising or legal assistance. I don't know for sure, but this sure looks like someone jumping on the opportuntity to use a just cause to line their own pockets.

rodbender

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
How big are these things? Seems a bit "pricey" for some "stickers".
They are 14x48 and they look like this. They were made for cab ads in Austin, Tx and have been adapted to the other states with petitions. None of the money goes anywhere but to the printer. That's why Mike put the email address to the printer for contact info.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum51/15568.html

hp-hobo

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
...More importantly, who requested/commisioned this "car poster" to be produced and why is the money apparently going to Arkansas? I can tell you for a fact that I have not been contacted and offered any of the procedes to put toward advertising or legal assistance. I don't know for sure, but this sure looks like someone jumping on the opportuntity to use a just cause to line their own pockets.
I'd still like see this postbe responded to. I wonder why it hasn't, unless...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
hp-hobo wrote:
...More importantly, who requested/commisioned this "car poster" to be produced and why is the money apparently going to Arkansas? I can tell you for a fact that I have not been contacted and offered any of the procedes to put toward advertising or legal assistance. I don't know for sure, but this sure looks like someone jumping on the opportuntity to use a just cause to line their own pockets.
I'd still like see this postbe responded to. I wonder why it hasn't, unless...
I requested that these "car posters" be made for each of the 4 states where there is an open carry rights restoration campaign underway. The "money" is the cost of each poster going to the professional firm in Texas that makes them - they made the Texas car posters for the cabs in Austion andI asked them to make posters for all states.

hp-hobo

imported post

Mike wrote:
I requested that these "car posters" be made for each of the 4 states where there is an open carry rights restoration campaign underway. The "money" is the cost of each poster going to the professional firm in Texas that makes them - they made the Texas car posters for the cabs in Austion andI asked them to make posters for all states.
The quoted prices are not the"cost" of the poster, they are the retail price. "Cost" for something of that nature is well under $50, as quoted by two friends of mine who own printing shops. That means someone is making a good profit in the name of "supporting a cause". Hence the phrase, lining their pockets.

Side note. Are these items supposed to be advertising the open carry petitions of the various states, or are they an advertisment for OCDO? I think the size and color of the letters pretty much answersthat question. Will OCDO be subsidising the purchase price?

Thought not.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Mike wrote:
The quoted prices are not the"cost" of the poster, they are the retail price. "Cost" for something of that nature is well under $50, as quoted by two friends of mine who own printing shops. That means someone is making a good profit in the name of "supporting a cause". Hence the phrase, lining their pockets.

Side note. Are these items supposed to be advertising the open carry petitions of the various states, or are they an advertisment for OCDO? I think the size and color of the letters pretty much answersthat question. Will OCDO be subsidising the purchase price?

Thought not.
South Carolina is still firmly in the grip of the NRA, as is this poster. The NRA anywhere and in SC cannot allow unregulated open carry to become law. Without the infringement of 'regulation' of the 2A then the NRA's sale of dispensations from these infringing regulations is obviated. Sale of dispensations from 2A infringements is the NRA's stock in trade.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Mike wrote:

Thought not.
Umm, OCDO consists of John & Mike who own a web site and a trade mark and have paid for both out of our pockets. And these posters have been available for some time now without any objection from any state.

The idea behind directing folks to a short easy to remember web site like OCDO on the car poster and bill boards where ALL the state petitions are hosted was to enable more folks to get to the petitions and learn more about th cause - nothin' nefarious.

If your friends can produce car posters at lower prices for equal quality than out texas contractor, go ahead and market them to support the petition. But don't use Lori's likeness without her permision nor OpenCarry without our permission on any products you decide to market.

You might want to look at the texas contractor's product first though - they are double laminated somehow to last many months - that is what the folks who advertize with taxi cab companies like to buy in Austin - and frankly, we are talking about potentially very low volumes of production so the contractor, who has been very accomodating, and has to process each order by hand and mail out at individualizes mail prices, cannot sell for a price nearhigh volume production costs.

rodbender

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
hp-hobo wrote:
Mike wrote:

Thought not.
South Carolina is still firmly in the grip of the NRA, as is this poster. The NRA anywhere and in SC cannot allow unregulated open carry to become law. Without the infringement of 'regulation' of the 2A then the NRA's sale of dispensations from these infringing regulations is obviated. Sale of dispensations from 2A infringements is the NRA's stock in trade.
You are absolutely right, someone is lining their pockets; the printer. How evil he is. He should sell them for what it cost him to make them. Then there is the company that he buys the material from, too. More evil profiteers. These companies should sell the materials to the printer for what it cost them to produce. And what about the evil companies that the material producers get their materials from. There's ink, the plastic sheets, glue. Dang all these evil corporations.

I cut the deal for the cab ads in Austin, Tx. I assure you that Mike and John are notusing any of the money anyone would pay for these posters to enhance their bank account. It all goes to the printer. The printer is in business to make money. He is not, nor has heever claimed to support this cause, so no one is"making a good profitin the name of supporting a cause".

These posters are for advertising the petition and OCDO. The more people that sign up at OCDO, the more soldiers we have to fight the cause. It will take a lot of time to get this done. Mike and John (the entire staff at OCDO)can't do it alone. And why should they do it alone, or at all for that matter. They both live in Virginia where open carry is legal. What do they have to gain? Very little IMHO. They spend the time and the money to keep this forum going and I, for one, appreciate it. They also donate generously to the upkeep of the billboards and cab ads.

We have a drive here in Texas that includes members writing letters, making phone calls, going to see legislators, printing fliers (the cost of which is paid by the member that had them printed), etc., etc., etc. All this takes time and money that Mike and John can’t and should not spend.

I guess Texans have a different point of view than some of the fine folks of South Carolina. You see, we realize that some years ago the citizens of Texas took their eye off the ball and allowed our 2A rights to go down the toilet. We also realize now as modern day citizens of Texas, we have to fight to regain those rights. I don’t recall Col. Travis or Gen. Houston ever asking anyone to fight the battle of the Goliad, the Alamo, or San Jacinto while they took a Starbuck’s break. Nor do I recall any of the signers of the Declaration of Independence asking someone else to pledge their lives, fortunes, or sacred honor (see the last line of said document) to have a free and self ruled country.

My point is, if you want open carry to come back to South Carolina, get off your butt and do what you need to do to get it done. Get into your pocket a little bit, do some legwork. If you don’t, then join the NRA so you can help fight it. If you can get your buddy to print them any cheaper, I’m positive that Mike and John will not care (you’ll have to ask them of course).

In conclusion my South Carolina brother in arms:

THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH

hp-hobo

imported post

rodbender wrote:
My point is, if you want open carry to come back to South Carolina, get off your butt and do what you need to do to get it done. Get into your pocket a little bit, do some legwork. If you don’t, then join the NRA so you can help fight it. If you can get your buddy to print them any cheaper, I’m positive that Mike and John will not care (you’ll have to ask them of course).

In conclusion my South Carolina brother in arms:

THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH

I was hoping there would be a point eventually. Let me tell you a little bit about the open carry movement in South Carolina.

I was the one, with encouragement form this forum, who started the online petition for South Carolina open carry.

I am the one who has contacted local and state representitives via e-mail, USPS and phone about the open carry movement.

I am the one who has, out of my own pocket, printed 10,000 fliers (to date) explaining the open carry movement, asking them to sign the petition and identifying this web site.

I am the one who traveled to local gun shops, sometimes taking time away from work (making money), talking to owners/managers getting permission to post said fliers.

I am the one who has been to every gun show (except one) in the state in the last few months, entirely at my own expense, to once again distribute fliers and talk to people (with the help of my supportive wife) about the movement.

I could go on, but if you don't get the point by now, you'll never get it. I doubt you've done as much personally for your state either financially or physically as I have for mine. As stated in another post in this thread, I still haven't been able to do as much as I'd like to. Running a business and having a family does take up some of my time. So next time you want to preach to someone about how there is no free lunch, pick someone else.

In conclusion my Texas brother in arms:

I've paid more than full price for my lunch. How about you?

rodbender

imported post

Obviously, I havenot seen the post by you thatexplained that you were so involved. I offer my apologies for that. However, your post that I have read have been very accusatory about Mike and John skimming from these car posters and you act like you want to be given some special considerations on the price. This could not go unanswered by me. Mike and John are spending time and money that they don't need to and you want to accuse them of "stealing", yes ,stealing, money from the cause to line their own pockets. How petty is that?

Trust me I, too, have made several trips to gun shows and shops and rangesleaving fliers that I paid to be printed. I won't say that I've been to nearall of them in Texasfor obvious reasons. You have no idea how much money I have donated to the billboards and cab ads. And the cost of diesel that I have spent running to all these places and the offices of my State Senator and one of the guys running for Representative.

If I found out that Mike and John were taking a little off the top, honestly, I wouldn't care. They are doing a greatselflessservicefor the people of statesthat they don't even reside in and thatdeserves some type of reward. I hope someday to meet these 2 warriors for the cause and I'll do what I can to show my appreciation.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest about who has done more or spent morebecause that would be fruitless. All I wouldlike is for you to get some facts before you start whining about and accusingsomebody ofcommiting foul play for no reason.

From the mouth of the immortal Ronald Reagan came these words:

"We can accomplish great things if we don't care who gets the credit."

hp-hobo

imported post

Incredible. Can you show me one time where I stated, or even implied, that Mike or John are taking any money for those posters? Nope. Can't do it. Never happened. As a matter of fact I very specifically asked why the money is going to Arkansas. If I'm not mistaken, Mike and John are both in Virginia. Note the different spelling and geographical location.

I have nothing but appreciation and respect for what is being done by the owners of this web site and forum. Without this forum, I would have never thought to start the petition. Without this forum I wouldn't be as knowledgable (by no means an expert) as I am about open carry laws. Without this forum I wouldn't even know that a nationwide (mostly) open carry movement exists. For those things and more I'm greatful.

But you know what? None of this banter answers the original question. Why is a print shop that is apparently in Arkansas making a substantial markup under the guise of helping a cause? I can tell you for a fact that it's standard practice for a business doing something of this nature to certainly charge enough to cover costs and maybe even some profit. But they also kick back some to the organization they claim to be helping. I do it all the time.

If10, 15or 20percent of the price went to OCDO, that'd be fine. It wouldn't help me directly but it would help the overall cause which helps South Carolina in the long run. That's called big picture thinking. But putting every penny of a huge markup in their pocket? Well, you already know how I feel about that.

So I'll be checking this thread tomorrow toread for you answer. I mean about where Istated thatOCDO, or Mike, orJohnis getting any money out of this. And when you can't produce, I'll be looking for an apology instead.

Have a nice day.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Why is a print shop that is apparently in Arkansas making a substantial markup under the guise of helping a cause? I can tell you for a fact that it's standard practice for a business doing something of this nature to certainly charge enough to cover costs and maybe even some profit. But they also kick back some to the organization they claim to be helping. I do it all the time.
The print shop is in Texas - they are the one that made the Texas car posters for the cabs in Austin - at my request, they have agreed to make posters for other states and sell them on a low value mail order basis.

But they (Andy's print shop) never said they were "helping" anyone.

Brian Martin from Arkansas was kind enough to help coordinate production of posters for all the states tryhing to repeal open carry bans.

That's the end of this discussion.