• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry of a fixed blade knife.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I had occasion to OC a fixed blade dive knife and a pistol around my area. Funny I got more comments than when I carried just a pistol. Has anybody else tried it?

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I had occasion to OC a fixed blade dive knife and a pistol around my area. Funny I got more comments than when I carried just a pistol. Has anybody else tried it?
In hunting season I do...and on the beach before/after diving...but usually on the beach I'm carrying a speargun as opposed to a .45 (but I do have these really cool powerhead deals, one in .223 and one in .30-06, that I normally have with me in those situations).

longwatch

imported post

Thats cool, but I should clarify that I was trying to get at doing it in a non hunting/fishing/outdoorsman situation.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Nawsir...haven't done that. I occasionally carry a fixed blade, but nothing as big as what I think you're after.

Were you doing it out of boredom or because something needed cutting? (Just curious, doesn't matter to me...I could care less if people carried swords around if it made them happy and they didn't hit me with them...)

longwatch

imported post

I thought it would be useful for self defense, same answer as for why I open carry a handgun.

possumboy

imported post

There was another topic about carrying a knife.

I do quite often, I don't have it in front of me, but I believe that I have to "OC" because of the way the laws are written.

I take it with me on hiking and camping trips.

I do get more comments based on the knife than I do my gun.

Marco

imported post

I OC a SOG Contour on occasion.
The kydex sheath needed to be modified, it wouldn't secure the knife and the belt attachment needed some work as well.

With a little heat the knife is now secure and the belt attachment allows me to carry the knife in a position in whichI can access it with both hands.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I've done it once or twice and I think it's a great idea. Kabar, full size in my case.

Blade never jam or need reloading. They're also great because you only focus on your target and don't care what's beyond it ;)

Perfect for crowded situations. I usually carry a good folder due to size though...

I wish http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM were more clear on what a "dirk" is so carrying a small, fixed concealed wouldn't be such a big deal ....

Marco

imported post

VA code you listed doesn't list Daggers which usually refers to double edge so IMHO Dirk refers to a double edged blade.

In the United States, dirk is a term used in the knife laws of several states. While it generally means any double-edged knife, the legal meaning may vary from state to state.

EDIT:
spelling

ufcfanvt

imported post

I'm with you. I agree with both of the definitions you put forth, but there are police and prosecutors out there who may not and that ends up being what matters. The definitions are little too nebulous and the issue is too esoteric for us to build case law around.

Marco

imported post

Not really wanting to be the test case but I like carrying my fixed blade and will continue to do so.

I believe it is protected the same as my firearm (JMHO).