• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Saint Joseph

Reverend BCal

imported post

I'm curious if anyone (including the other two known reps from Pony Express-land) can tell me what areas of Saint Joe I should avoid while OCing...

...I'm almost 21, and the first thing I'm going to do on my birthday is send outmy OOS CCW applicationto Florida (I've had my fair share of drinks as a minor...too bad the "Hooray for my first drinks!" mentality haslost it's zeal). To my understanding, Missouri will honor this (even at 21) as a legal/valid CCW permit. Utah and North Dakota are on my list, too.

In the meantime, I'd like to exercise as many rights as possible when the opportunities arise, which is why I'm interested in OC laws for my town specifically. Any help would be appreciated, even regarding nearby municipalities. As well, I volunteered my age not to raise skeptcism and queries about my maturity or ability to rationalize the use of a weapon if necessary (I've been a security officer in Delaware for a little while now and fully understand the ENTIRE song and dance), but to give some perspective on age vs. law regarding OC/CCW. Thanks for leaving the didactic preach-speeches about age in your heads and off your keyboards.

Thanks again, and I really appreciate your response!

captainamerica

imported post

I believe OC is perfectly lawful in St. Joseph. But I think there have been reports of overly zealous local LEO's that have hassled OCers; even at gunpoint and maybe handcuffing them for further scrutiny. But that can and is happening in every state that allows OC b/c nosey, scared, pantswetting "concerned" citizens are calling in person-with-a-gun reports and the LEO's refuse to ignore the calls that offer no valid reports of suspicious or illegal behavior.

Also, a CCW from Florida at age 21 is perfectly acceptable in MO.

Edited to add that you should try a search of key words such as St. Joe or St. Joseph here and at missouricarry.com to see what is out there.

Reverend BCal

imported post

As long as it's legal, I have no problem defending my rights if/when confronted. And with a valid Florida CCW, I could simply conceal it if it's causing to much of a ruckus.

BTW, I've found nothing else on this site related to Saint Joe and OC/CCW, but I'm gonna keep everyone posted on my results once I hit the big 'ol 2-1.

I appreciate your help cap'n, and would still appreciate more input/stories/issues from "tested" individuals.

keithw1975

imported post

I think you will be ok 90% of the time. I have open carried many times in St. Joseph. Many people want to stop and talk about your sidearm it seems. I carry concealed most of the time but do still open carry every so often. When I carry my Springfield XD-40 hardly anyone seems to notice but when I carry my stainless .454 Casull with an 8" Barrel people tend to gawk a lot. The one time I had a problem was when I observed an officer who was engaged in a traffic stop behind my businesses. He spotted my weapon he called for backup. Then after all 3 of them were there they drew down on me and handcuffed me. I really liked how he didn't draw his weapon until there were 3 of them. Then all of a sudden I am dangerous enough to require 3 guns being pointed at me. I was cooperative and did as they said and after about 20 minutes of rude and antagonistic comments was let go. I have family members in the Buchanan County Sherrifs department and can assure you they would not act this way. They are much more professional and CCW friendly than the St. Joseph PD.

Keith