• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Last night at ODU someone was shot

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I want to try shooting with my middle finger and having my pointer finger on the slide. It has been brought up to me, but I would need to also practice drawing that way too. I have the serpa holster so I do press the button down as I draw. When I do have the pistol holstered, I use the belt system since the paddle is such a PITA to get off:p I'll have to work with drawing techniques at my house and point shooting techniques at the range.:lol:
IMHO - the index finger is the finger of choice for this exercise. It is the more dominate (82.5% of people), flexible and better schooled of all your digits.
http://jhs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/24/4/429

You could be in the 10% middle finger dominate category but I frankly do not know how to test for it.

I do know that there are problems with this technique regarding revolvers, laser grips and perhaps more important with the quality of your hand grip - as one finger less is employed gripping the frame/grips - and is therefore a less stable platform.

Personally, I don't recommend it for the latter reason.

Yata hey

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

My girlfriend goes to medical school in Norfolk...all these posts about muggings, attempted sexual assault, etc. don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy...she's old enough to get her permit, just doesn't have the same fervor for it that you do CRF250.

ODA 226

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I want to try shooting with my middle finger and having my pointer finger on the slide. It has been brought up to me, but I would need to also practice drawing that way too. I have the serpa holster so I do press the button down as I draw. When I do have the pistol holstered, I use the belt system since the paddle is such a PITA to get off:p I'll have to work with drawing techniques at my house and point shooting techniques at the range.:lol:
IMHO - the index finger is the finger of choice for this exercise. It is the more dominate (82.5% of people), flexible and better schooled of all your digits.

You could be in the 10% middle finger dominate category but I frankly do not know how to test for it.

I do know that there are problems with this technique regarding revolvers, laser grips and perhaps more important with the quality of your hand grip - as one finger less is employed gripping the frame/grips - and is therefore a less stable platform.

Yata hey

CRF,

I believe this is the technique that I showed Danbus and Jim the last time we went to the range together. This technique DOES work and was taught to us at Mott Lake.

When using this technique, make sure that your shooting hand is canted at a 45 degree angle.

However, before trying anything advanced, use should learn the basics and master them first.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Very true I would like to practice a lot with snap caps to get the motion developed. Is that 45 degrees tilted to the right of to the left? I am assuming you are talking about tilting it to the left, since that feels more natural and would provide somewhat of a picture along my pointer finger.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Yata hey

CRF,

I believe this is the technique that I showed Danbus and Jim the last time we went to the range together. This technique DOES work and was taught to us at Mott Lake.

When using this technique, make sure that your shooting hand is canted at a 45 degree angle.

However, before trying anything advanced, use should learn the basics and master them first.
IMO - Not sure that this method is "advanced" only different. Totally agree with learning, practicing and reinforcing the basics. Also subscribe to the KISS theory - don't want conflicting muscle memory when TSHTF.

In the final analysis, each of us must choose what works best us - there is no written test.

Yata hey

P.S. "use" should be spelled "yous." :D

ODA 226

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Yata hey

CRF,

IMO - Not sure that this method is "advanced" only different. Totally agree with learning, practicing and reinforcing the basics. Also subscribe to the KISS theory - don't want conflicting muscle memory when TSHTF.

In the final analysis, each of us must choose what works best us - there is no written test.

Yata hey

P.S. "use" should be spelled "yous." :D

Grapeshot,

This is an advanced technique taught to SF Operators to shoot on the move while protecting and shielding a principle. I discussed this in depth to Jim and Danbus at Lafeyette about 2 months ago.

CRF,

The weapon is canted inboard. Be sure to ball your weak hand into a fist and place it in the middle of your chest. Turn your body at an angle towards your weak side.

Again, I highly recommend mastering the basics before attempting anything else.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Sounds good. For now I want to work more on getting a quick and proper sight picture as well as use snap caps. The snap caps helped a lot last time when I shot. :lol: As you said I am just taking it slow now and trying to master the basics of shooting before I move on. A building is only as strong as it's foundation.

Armed

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Grapeshot,

This is an advanced technique taught to SF Operators to shoot on the move while protecting and shielding a principle. I discussed this in depth to Jim and Danbus at Lafeyette about 2 months ago.

CRF,

The weapon is canted inboard. Be sure to ball your weak hand into a fist and place it in the middle of your chest. Turn your body at an angle towards your weak side.

Okay - now I just have to ask... what is the advantage of this? Is your previous discussion of this technique with Jim and Danbus somewhere on this board?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

You have been pointing at things with your pointer finger all your life. Using this technique makes use of your pointing habbit and can get you on target a lot faster and there is less of a need for lining up the sights properly in the heat of a situation. This is my basic understanding of this technique.

ODA 226

imported post

Armed wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Grapeshot,

CRF,

Okay - now I just have to ask... what is the advantage of this? Is your previous discussion of this technique with Jim and Danbus somewhere on this board?
The advantage of this technique is that it allows you to shoot on the move with reasonable accuracy while shielding your principle with your body while guiding him to safety with your weak hand.

Once the threat is acquired, the operator shields the protectee with his body, draws, grabs the protectee with his weak hand and guides the protectee in a safe direction while returning fire at the threat.

Doing all of this without using the above mentioned technique is extremely difficult. The proven technique is used by SF Operators and was taught at Mott Lake. It uses a natural pointing technique that most people quickly master.

This is not surgical shooting but you will put rounds on target.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
My girlfriend goes to medical school in Norfolk...all these posts about muggings, attempted sexual assault, etc. don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy...she's old enough to get her permit, just doesn't have the same fervor for it that you do CRF250.
The fervor often develops rather quickly after someone has a "close call" or a friend/family member is vicitmized. Unfortunately, if she decides to carry, she will be faced with the usual conflict between what is reasonable and what is permitted. I used to be on the faculty there, and I can tell you all the buildings on campus are "gun free zones" and the administrators are quite anti-self defense. (the usual schlock about a safe and proper learning environment, blah, blah blah, and no interest in considering any change.) :X She might at least consider a can of pepper spray. Pressurized condiment spray is better than nothing. My younger daughter carries those at VCU. Its "against the rules" but all they do is confiscate it if they find you with it.:banghead: I told her I'll buy her as many cans as she needs, and told her to tell the admins I've ordered her to carry it. They can kiss my royal Dutch ass...

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Armed wrote:
ODA 226 wrote: Is your previous discussion of this technique with Jim and Danbus somewhere on this board?
This wasn't posted. Craig was kind enough to show us some interesting pointers when we shot on the indoor range one weekend.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
The fervor often develops rather quickly after someone has a "close call" or a friend/family member is vicitmized. Unfortunately, if she decides to carry, she will be faced with the usual conflict between what is reasonable and what is permitted. I used to be on the faculty there, and I can tell you all the buildings on campus are "gun free zones" and the administrators are quite anti-self defense. (the usual schlock about a safe and proper learning environment, blah, blah blah, and no interest in considering any change.) :X She might at least consider a can of pepper spray. Pressurized condiment spray is better than nothing. My younger daughter carries those at VCU. Its "against the rules" but all they do is confiscate it if they find you with it.:banghead: I told her I'll buy her as many cans as she needs, and told her to tell the admins I've ordered her to carry it. They can kiss my royal Dutch ass...

She carries pepper spray and for what it's worth calls me every time she walks to her car alone (like I'm going to shoot someone through the phone)...

She's really stressing out right now...got any ex-faculty advice? She barely passed her first test in medical school :uhoh: She graduated from undergrad with two majors (both with honors degrees), two minors and a 3.97 GPA...failing is not something she's familiar with.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
She's really stressing out right now...got any ex-faculty advice? She barely passed her first test in medical school :uhoh: She graduated from undergrad with two majors (both with honors degrees), two minors and a 3.97 GPA...failing is not something she's familiar with.
My ex-faculty advice to her is to break up with up with you. Clearly, she has too many distractions in her life right now, so she needs to concentrate on the things of highest priority. Failing is not an option, right? JMHO. :p

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
My ex-faculty advice to her is to break up with up with you. Clearly, she has too many distractions in her life right now, so she needs to concentrate on the things of highest priority. Failing is not an option, right? JMHO. :p
We've been dating for just shy of ten years...she'll find something else to drop...I hope :uhoh:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

3.97!!!!!:what: C students run the world:) A students don't know how to fail so they never second guess themselves. C students know they can fail and second guess things.:lol: Wow 10 years! Good luck I hope you pop the question sometime in the near future:celebrate I could never get a 3.97 I would have no social life. My hat is off to her for doing that. That is extremely hard to do.

Jim- I'm not sure how the rain will effect Saturday. Hampton is closed and every road down here has some amount of flooding:banghead: I really wish I had my truck instead of my mustang for this flooding:cry:

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
3.97!!!!!:what: C students run the world:) A students don't know how to fail so they never second guess themselves. C students know they can fail and second guess things.:lol: Wow 10 years! Good luck I hope you pop the question sometime in the near future:celebrate I could never get a 3.97 I would have no social life. My hat is off to her for doing that. That is extremely hard to do.

Jim- I'm not sure how the rain will effect Saturday. Hampton is closed and every road down here has some amount of flooding:banghead: I really wish I had my truck instead of my mustang for this flooding:cry:

Yeah, 2 A minus's in her 4 years. The rest were straight up A's.

She's always been that way...little cuss beat me in high school by .002 GPA points (I was smart back then...we graduated 1 - 2 from our high school, which everyone said was so cute :banghead:).

As to the ring...as was alluded to, she doesn't exactly have time falling out of any orifices, so planning or participating in a wedding is probably not going to happen soon...maybe next summer...maybe. I'm just waiting on her to decide when it's best for her.

As to the flooding, my Camaro (our Camaro) is sitting at my girlfriend's house in Olde Town Portsmouth where the streets routinely flood in just normal rain storms...I'm 'excited' to see how wet the interior is when I get home tomorrow night.

She was talking to me on the phone this afternoon driving in circles trying to find a clear route from EVMS to the tunnel to get back home...said some spots were clearly 3ft deep (she may exaggerate, but either way, I told her to turn around.)

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Norfolk and Portsmouth just need to hire a boatload of Dutch engineers! :lol: Three lousy feet of flooding ??? Big deal! A nice series of dams, canals and (eco-friendly) windmills would do the trick. I'd start with the Hague, naturally.

When you guys see a nice little pond in a meadow, you think "how pretty". :)

A Dutchman see it and thinks "bad drainage!" :X