• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Open Carry is Illegal!" says Lackawanna deputies

jahwarrior

imported post

earlier today, took my lady and our son to a doctor's appt in Dunmore, on Meade St. my boy gets allergy shots every two weeks or so there. when we got there, i got out of the van, and walked around to the other side. my son had brought one of rats along for the ride, so i decided to take him and stay in the van with him. the nurses don't care about the gun, but rats are another story. on the scene were 2 Lackawanna sheriff's deputies; they were responding to another call. i saw them stop anna, and ask her some questions. they were pointing to me, and anna was nodding her head, smiling. i walked on over. "what's up, babe?"

"what are you doing?" said one.

"with him? he's a rat."

"no, with that gun?"

"oh. uh, nothing." anna shook her head and continued on her way, leaving me to deal with it.

"you can't do that. that illegal!" said the other deputy.

"no, it isn't."

"uh, yeah, it is."

"uh, no it isn't."

"you have a license to carry a gun?"

"yes."

"through our office?"

"yuppers."

"and what does it say on it?" said the first.

"it says: license to carry a firearm. L-T-C-F."

"to carry it concealed! you better cover that up, kid."

"i'm not a kid, i'm a 36 year old with lots of gray. and as far as covering up, is that your opinion, or is that the law?"

"it's the law!"

"no, it isn't. actually, i only need it if i want to carry it concealed. i don't need it to carry openly, except in Philly. and this ain't Philly, thank G*D."

"no, if you have a license, you have to conceal it!"

"not if i choose not to, officer."

"so you're not going to cover that up?"

"sir, if it was illegal, you would have arrested me by now."

the first one gave up. he threw up his hands in frustration, and said, "well, good luck with that! when you get pinched for that, don't say i didn't warn you!" he opened the door for me to enter the building.

"oh, no thanks. i can't go in there. the girls freak out about the rat."

"but they're okay with the gun?!?"

"yeah."

"jeez..."

i walked back to the van, and watched them. one of them called it in. i was close enough to hear: "when can you get someone down here?....how long?......he's walking around with a gun!.......yeah, i'll wait......alright, fine...."

i sat in my van, for another 15 minutes, playing with mercutio (the rat), waiting to see if someone showed. no one did. when anna returned, she asked, "so, are you arrested?"

"no. what did he ask you?"

"if you carried like that all the time, and if you had a license through their office, and if you knew it was illegal to open carry. what he ask you?"

"pretty much the same thing. whatever. they were full of shit. if it what illegal, they would have arrested me."

"do you have any of those flyers?"

"nah, shit. i gotta print some up when we get home."

ScottyT

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
"what are you doing?" said one.

"with him? he's a rat."

"no, with that gun?"

"oh. uh, nothing."

Bwahahaha! Nice one. :celebrate

I think they were hoping you were ignorant of the law so they could intimidate you into concealing. Nicely handled.

RJB1075

imported post

Im actually from Lackawanna County myself and I was curious if you got the names of these 2 officers ?

Rob

jahwarrior

imported post

RJB1075 wrote:
Im actually from Lackawanna County myself and I was curious if you got the names of these 2 officers ?

Rob
no, never got their names. i was laughing too hard on the inside to notice; i found the whole situation was funny rather than being offended by them. having a rat licking the inside of my ear while it was going on just made the whole thing a bit surreal. all i knowis , the younger one was tall and overweight, and the older , mustachieod one was shorter and overweight.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
RJB1075 wrote:

Rob
no, never got their names. i was laughing too hard on the inside to notice; i found the whole situation was funny rather than being offended by them. having a rat licking the inside of my ear while it was going on just made the whole thing a bit surreal. all i knowis , the younger one was tall and overweight, and the older , mustachieod one was shorter and overweight.
'Could ya smell the donuts on their breath? :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Would have been nice to have had a digital recorder.

Recommend filing a complaint - it is worth the effort and can be very educational. :)

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
I lose respect for people that pull this nonsense.
What, carrying rats? If carrying a rat makes a person happy, then who am I, or you, to object to such?

To the best of my knowledge, open carry of a rat in Pennsylvania without a license is legal.
Comment to which objection was made has been edited.

Open carry of rats is not specifical addressed in Pa. statutes and is therefore legal.

Yata hey

jahwarrior

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
What, carrying rats? If carrying a rat makes a person happy, then who am I, or you, to object to such?

To the best of my knowledge, open carry of a rat in Pennsylvania without a license is legal.

well, if i did choose to conceal a rodent, it wouldn't be a rat. i'd be better off with a gerbil or something.....:what:

lucky thing i was approved for my LCTR.

imperialism2024

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
Statkowski wrote:

well, if i did choose to conceal a rodent, it wouldn't be a rat. i'd be better off with a gerbil or something.....:what:

lucky thing i was approved for my LCTR.
What kind of rentention do you use for that rodent? :lol:

Sorry, back to the OP...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you want to carry a dirty rat for self-defense I'll remind everyone the news is the rank and file Chicago PD is upset at the new chief ... I'm sure you can find a dirty rat to hire out of that group. :p

:cool: