• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia online course to qualify for Virginia CHL

spike89

imported post

Saw a post over on Glocktalk about this. You can take a one-hour online video course with some multiple choice/true or false questions at the end, and get a cert that qualifies you to get the Virginia CHL. Course cost is like 40 bucks.

http://www.concealed-carry.net/index.php

Now, in looking at the cert requirements for virginia, they are similar if not almost exactly like the requirements for Oregon (Oregon puts an emphasis on handgun safety specifically, while VA's doesn't though).

Virginia req's: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms...resident Concealed Handgun Permit Application

Oregon req's: (scroll down to section 166.291)
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

This *MAY* be a quick way to get the required certification to apply for a non-resident (or resident) permit in Oregon.

MadHatter66

imported post

Wouldn't Oregon have to be part of the reciprocal agreement? I dont see Oregon on their list of reciprocal states, for resident or non-resident permit holders. Taking the class would get you a non-resident permit, and even then there are two states listed that do not honor non resident permits, West Virginia and Florida. The also say that you would need to check with each state to make sure that you can use your non resident permit for carrying, because it sounds like they cannot state for sure that every state listed will honor the non resident permit.

Or maybe I am way off base...

heresolong

imported post

Looks to me like the focus is the safety class. Since Virginia is offering the safety class as a requirement for their permit it might also satisfy the requirement for Oregon. Here is the Oregon law regarding the safety class:

(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;
The only problem I could see with this is that most of the Oregon course requirements reference "conducted by an instructor".

As far as getting a Virginia permit, not really needed since we have reciprocity with Virginia so our's is good there anyway.

However, I notice that option (E) says that military service qualifies as experience with a handgun. Does anyone know if you just have to show proof of military service or do you have to show evidence of experience such as a marksmanship badge?

Also, does anyone know if there is a "best" county to get the sheriff to waive the residency requirement?

Perhaps this should be a new thread discussing getting an Oregon non-resident permit?

spike89

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Looks to me like the focus is the safety class.  Since Virginia is offering the safety class as a requirement for their permit it might also satisfy the requirement for Oregon. 

Yep, that was I was getting at... that perhaps the VA online class would satisfy the Oregon reqs.

heresolong wrote:
Also, does anyone know if there is a "best" county to get the sheriff to waive the residency requirement?

Somebody here said Columbia County was a good one, and that it is pretty close to Longview.

RedKnightt

imported post

heresolong wrote:
However, I notice that option (E) says that military service qualifies as experience with a handgun. Does anyone know if you just have to show proof of military service or do you have to show evidence of experience such as a marksmanship badge?
In Virginia, a DD-214 is enough to satisfy the military service requirement.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Bear 45/70

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
heresolong wrote:

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”
In Oregon, your DD-214 must show you qualified with a handgun or it doesn't count.

heresolong

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
heresolong wrote:

--RedKnightt--

In Oregon, your DD-214 must show you qualified with a handgun or it doesn't count.
Thanks Bear. That is the answer I was looking for. Not the one I was hoping for however.

Bear 45/70

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
heresolong wrote:

--RedKnightt--

Thanks Bear. That is the answer I was looking for. Not the one I was hoping for however.
Yeah me neither. On my DD-214 they listed everything except the 38 SPL. we trained with.

Right on the CPL application for Washington County at the bottom It says:

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service. To present proper documentation through the military service, please bring your DD214.
[font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]Your DD214 MUST indicate training/qualification with a handgun, sidearm or pistol[/font][/font]. Should your DD214 indicate only "small arms qualification" it does not qualify as handgun training. In this case, you will need to take a handgun safety course to meet this requirement. Sorry, there are not exceptions allowed by law.

http://www.co.washington.or.us/sheriff/service/app/cwapp08.pdf

samaloney2006

imported post

I think the sombody who said Columbia County was a good one also mentioned that the local Sheriff will accept "personal protection, my words" and self defenseas a good eason for a non resident permit. I am going to try. I will have to go there in order to fill out an application as I cannot find there's on there website. I am also told that each county has a different application. Hand gun instruction from anywhere is ok if it isfrom an NRA certified instructor.Right now I am in Hawaii but going back in October. W:celebrateill keep you folks posted as to how it goes.

heresolong

imported post

I wonder what "participation in organized shooting competition" means. If I go down to the local gun club on Saturday and sign up for some matches do I get a pass?

just_a_car

imported post

heresolong wrote:
I wonder what "participation in organized shooting competition" means. If I go down to the local gun club on Saturday and sign up for some matches do I get a pass?
If it's a sanctioned event (IDPA, USPSA, etc...) I would assume the answer would be "yes." But I would call and ask just to be sure.

kparker

imported post

I will have to go there in order to fill out an application as I cannot find there's [Columbia County's] on there website.
You have to go there anyway regardless, as you have to apply in person (they take photo and do fingerprints on the spot.)

I am also told that each county has a different application.
That could have been me telling you that. As it says right there at the top of the Washington County Application:

APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN
WASHINGTON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
However, Oregon state law dictates what information they need to ask for on the application, it just doesn't specify what format they need to use, nor provide a state-wide valid form to use. I did find the Washington County pdf very useful in making sure I had all the needed information with me when I went to Columbia County.

State law also doesn't specify much about the procedures the counties must follow, so you get differences like Washington County having you mail in your app, and then they call you to schedule an appt for photo/printing, versus Columbia County where you just show up during a specified time (I think it was MWF 7:30am-3:00pm or something like that, but call first to verify as it wasn't on their website last time I looked and my handwritten notes are now AWOL.)

spike89

imported post

Just goes to show how much we need some sort of national reciprocity. Could you imagine having to jump through all these hoops if driver's licenses were treated the same way that CPL's are?