• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and children

sirpuma

imported post

I have a Stack On. It doesn't do well with rifles with pistol grips like the AK and AR. I ended up getting a large safe for the guns and I built shelving for the Stack On and that's where I store my powder and chemicals. Works great for that.

cynicist

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Chase? All children should react immediately to a firm "NO!" Please tell me you're not one of those counters.

"I'm counting! One....two..."
It was his first time getting it, and I used to count (and then smack him on three) but he's just learning to count, so he'll stop whatever he's doing and count with me. Kinda defeats the purpose.
He's not even two yet.

cynicist

imported post

No, because he's not stopping because I say so, he's stopping because he hears counting and wants to count too. If it's a safety thing, then it's good that he stops no matter why, but for teaching discipline, he thinks he stopping so we can play counting.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Best thing to do is let them play with it UNLOADED while you are around with them. Let them know it and teach them what it does.. the ones that have no idea are usually the ones that have problems. Teaching safety is much better than hiding everything. SOMETIMES you have to. Some kids just refuse to listen, no matter what. I grew up with SKS's AUG's SSweepers around unloaded/loaded on the table and all that. I never touched them. Being as young as I was..knowing what they did made me not wanna touch them unless I was told it was ok by the boss (dad). All kids are curious..once you give them that to a point, things go smoothly. I have never been one to wanna put my guns in a safe, unless I am not home. Anyone that comes over knows and children that come over usually know not to touch. If not, then they get put away. To me guns are like car keys to children. May sound wierd, but think about it. You wouldnt lock your keys in a safe.