• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do we have laws about carrying durning states of emergency?

squarepeg

imported post

So with the flooding in and around Munster and other towns along the Little Calumet River, I have been thinking about legalities of carrying. I think I remember talk about laws to guarantee that your rights are not infringed, but I forget if they were for Indiana or not. I have no clue if these areas have been declared a Natural Disaster Zone or ina State of Emergency or whatever catch phrase the government would use. Lets assume they labeled the area. Assuming I could carry normally (proper license), would I have any legal problems carrying?

emclean

imported post

I have no clue if these areas have been declared a Natural Disaster Zone or ina State of Emergency or whatever catch phrase the government would use.
it had been

Assuming I could carry normally (proper license), would I have any legal problems carrying?
you should have no problems.

txgho1911

imported post

As I understand the law and IANAL the state code allows for local regulation of the sale and transfer of firearms during states of emergency or other civil unrest.

squarepeg

imported post

Well I would definately not be selling anything, unless you really want me to use the cheap line "selling you one bullet at a time". I got to thinking about this as I didn't carry since I knew I was going to get wet, who knows how deep you might have to wade through. Saturday I was cleaning up there in Munster when 2 uniformed Munster Police got out of their unmarked squad and geared up with their vests and AR-15s. They said they were just looking for the "yahoos". Later that night a couple of looters were arrested a few houses down from my aunt.

Does anyone remember any laws after the Katrina gun confiscations, or was that just something I might have heard about happening in the Luisiana law?

jameshasguns

imported post

Good morning! Being that I am from the south and am not familiar with Indiana laws, I would say it might be a good idea to check into them yourself to be on the safe side.

With that said, and being a next door neighbor to Louisiana, I can say that what happened there (New Orleans) after Katrina was a slap in the face to the 2nd amendment. With virtually no police to "protect" the many thousands of victims that were flooded in their homes, Mayor Ray Nagin took it upon himself to order a complete confiscation of all firearms in every household in his jurisdiction. While gangs and other thugs ruled the streets, law abiding citizens were being disarmed.

Before the flooding began to recede,it was the NRA that was already standing up for the rights of those that had been betrayed by their own mayor and most of them have hadtheir guns returned, although reluctantly on Nagan's part.

After Katrina, our governor, Haley Barbour, signed legislation that prohibits gun confiscation during any state of emergency "WHEN WE NEED THEM MOST".

ImChad

imported post

jameshasguns wrote:
After Katrina, our governor, Haley Barbour, signed legislation that prohibits gun confiscation during any state of emergency "WHEN WE NEED THEM MOST".
I was not aware of that. THAT, is freeking wonderful. I'd been worried for a while about our state and how we would react in a state of emergency. I think anyone trying to disarm me is engaging in an act of agression. I would not give my firearms over to the state, especially when people are looting.