• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Horrible Information Screw up !

Dustin

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
I wouldn't describe it as all that horrible.

They do clarify that the permit is in reference to concealed firearms in the detail below.
Right but people don't look at all that.

They look at the overall rundown, and move along.

I've seen it on several other sites too. It's spreading ....

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
While I can write as long a list of the NRA's shortcomings as anyone, I still have a life membership. Change can most effectively be wrought from the inside.
You mean changes like the NRA helped to draft, and then get passed into law, in 1934 and 1968?
"Shortcomings" just ain't the word for it LC......IMHO, some of their actions border on treason.

Dustin

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:
While I can write as long a list of the NRA's shortcomings as anyone, I still have a life membership. Change can most effectively be wrought from the inside.
You mean changes like the NRA helped to draft, and then get passed into law, in 1934 and 1968?
"Shortcomings" just ain't the word for it LC......IMHO, some of their actions border on treason.

They are defintely Anti-OC.

Just read their Armed Citizen Articles in "American Rifleman". They ALWAYS are sure to tell the stories of those citizens with CC permits, but never mention anything about OC. Same with all their training suggestions and offers. All CC Training.

Of course this could be b/c OC attacks RARELY ever happen ?

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:

They are defintely Anti-OC.

Just read their Armed Citizen Articles in "American Rifleman". They ALWAYS are sure to tell the stories of those citizens with CC permits, but never mention anything about OC. Same with all their training suggestions and offers. All CC Training.

Of course this could be b/c OC attacks RARELY ever happen ?
Also because OC is rare.

And, generally a permit is not needed to OC, therefore their ads are for the needed training classes to get your CC permit.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Also because OC is rare.

Can you point out a better reason that their "voice" should be the loudest on the OC issue?

And, generally a permit is not needed to OC, therefore their ads are for the needed training classes to get your CC permit.

And I suppose you believe that the ads have nothing to do with making money for the NRA corporate machine....you know, to cover all those nice salaries that their "higher ups" get paid?
Why do you suppose that the NRA "pushed" for REQUIRED training in the states where they "helped" to pass CC laws?....simple answer, to help themselves.

We've had CC in Alabama for over 60 years with no training requirement and I can't see where it has been an issue....go figure....

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Ok, it may just be the internet and the relative difficulty of reading people's tone, but you seem a bit haughty here, Comp. You may want to step back and consider the possibility that you are talking to someone who has already considered the things you are saying, and maybe even has a thing or two that you could learn. Just by way of getting us on the same page, my name is Micha Petty. I live in NWLA, and I am a hard line Second Amendment activist. I have been doing this awhile, and spend a great deal of time at it. All with my own time and money I:

• Designed and maintain one of the best State-level firearms resource websites in the nation, to my knowledge- http://louisianacarry.org
  • I am a member of the Ark-La-Tex Gun Collectors Association, which puts on gun shows and donates all the proceeds to things like buying youth shooting organizations their firearms- firearms that have won national championships. We are also a part of the NRA.
  • I am a NRA certified volunteer rangesafety officer at one of the largest range complexes in the country, and certainly the largest in my State
  • I founded a State wide gun rights group and maintain an alert network to mobilize people when things happen that affect gun owners
  • I am pursuing a law degree for the sole purpose of being a PITA lawyer that holds municipalities in my State accountable when they step on the 2A
  • I train and shoot regularly, and teach new shooters the rudiments of firearm safety and handling for free on my own time, and even supply the weapons and ammo
  • I spend a sizable amount of my time and money running gun show booths to plug gun owners in to the 2A activism going on in their area, and work to get gun owners registered to vote
  • I am a part of the NRA ILA Grassroots, and am privy to what goes on in the background when gun bills are introduced in the LA Legislature
  • I open carry every day, and do so in a State not necessarily known to be OC friendly, with zero problems, and the respect of law enforcement and local officials
  • I am quite possibly more familiar with the gun laws in my State than anyone alive. Much of it I can quote chapter and verse, and I have corrected everyone from lawyers to Appeals Court judges on the fine points of it's interactions and ambiguities
This is all in addition to the time it takes me to run my business, be a good husband and take in foster kids. I could go on, but the point is that it has gotten to the point where people who I have never met see me on the street and ask me if I am "LouisianaCarry" and offer to buy me lunch so that they can pick my brain. I say all that not to imply that I am better than anyone else here, but to lay the groundwork for an understanding that I know who is doing what in my area, and who is not. I have reached out to all the major gun rights organizations in the country to offer assistance and to network for the benefit of LA gun owners. You want to guess which is the only organization that returned a single call or email? Yep- the NRA. When guns are seized unlawfully from citizens in LA, you want to guess who calls me to get information so that they can give these events national exposure? The SAF? The GOA? No, the NRA, again. Want to guess which CEO personally gave me his contact information so that I could alert him to outrages in LA next time they come up? Wayne LaPierre. You want to know who the Democrats hate for having the clout to muddle up their unconstitutional gun bills? Yep, the NRA again. You get my point. I have dealt with it first hand.

Now, on the flip side- to be fair, from a hard line 2A "shall not be infringed" mindset like I personally have, and I get the impression you have- the NRA just about sucks. They have dropped the ball many times, and could be doing a vast amount more than they are currently, or have in the past. They don't even attempt a fraction of the things that they should be pushing for, considering their history and available resources. But, while I am an idealist who pushes for the ultimate goal of an unhindered armed free populace, you and I must understand that we are dealing with people. Also, we are dealing with a large organization that is made up of many people who have not "seen the light" so to speak, as we have. The NRA Board of Directors is an elected body- elected by guys like you and me, but also by guys like Barney up the road who "doesn't see why anyone needs those black guns or more than five rounds in a magazine." Even if you or I were elected to the BoD tomorrow, we would be constrained by those around us.

Those people who make the decisions are not infallible. I know they tried to derail Heller at every turn, and only got on board when they saw there was no other way. I know they were a part of writing horrible bills that immorally abridge our rights to this day. However, I would caution you to forego passing judgment until you are sure you have all the info. How do you KNOW that the bills we live with would not have been WORSE without NRA members pulling strings to get the current working, instead of what may have been much worse (like a '94 AWB with NO sunset, instead of a 10 year expiration)? There are many times when an all or nothing stance will get you nothing, more often than not, I would venture to guess.

I do not have rose colored lenses that thinks whatever the NRA does is right, far from it. I have said before that their shortcomings are numerous. However, I put forth that it may be a result of you wearing dark lenses if everywhere you turn you see people who are just "in it for the money, and are willing to pass any bill they can to trample the 2A, as long as it keeps donations coming in." I know just enough about politics to say that it is very hard to know what goes on behind closed doors, and what seems to be a conspiracy may simply be people- fallible people without all the information or a complete understanding of the facts and/or morals of what they are a party to- doing the bet they know how to do.

Just like I am human in my endeavors to foster the 2A in my State, the NRA is made up of humans as well. Not all good, not all bad- and attaching yourself to the idea that they are one or the other will leave you with very little understanding of the realities of what is going on around you.

I am thankful for those who are awake enough to see how much more the NRA should be doing. There are many many people in this country with a little plastic membership card in their pocket that don't have the first clue that the Second Amendment has nearly nothing to do with hunting. But my challenge to those people is to get active and do everything they can to improve the situation- while being patient with those around them who may not have as deep an understanding of the RKBA as them- instead of jumping right to bitch mode. It may just be that your energy is what is needed at a critical time. If you feel like you are not able to do enough- don't give up! Keep trying, and put additional effort into getting involved in State and local organizations who probably also desperately need your help and insight.

I do know this- it is easy to Monday Morning Quarterback what others are doing. It is a drudging, time consuming, thankless task doing anything about it. I will continue giving people the benefit of the doubt and keep my criticisms private, unless absolutely forced to do otherwise.

Just something to think about.

Oh, here is an interesting article about all this, if you are still interested:

A Five-Minute Handbook for Gun rights Activists

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

My apologies to you LC, if you took my stance as a personal attack....it was not meant to be so.

I applaud you for your efforts/accomplishments but still think that the NRA is not "the way to go", but rather, to focus on the issues through the very type of organizations that you have built in louisianacarry.org.
I am of the opinion that the NRA, like our government, has become too large and convoluted to be of any real value to the community as whole....it was started, after all, as a gun control organization from it's very beginning.

Fatherof9

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Ok, it may just be the internet and the relative difficulty of reading people's tone, but you seem a bit haughty here, Comp. You may want to step back and consider the possibility that you are talking to someone who has already considered the things you are saying, and maybe even has a thing or two that you could learn. Just by way of getting us on the same page, my name is Micha Petty. I live in NWLA, and I am a hard line Second Amendment activist. I have been doing this awhile, and spend a great deal of time at it. All with my own time and money I:
  • Designed and maintain one of the best State-level firearms resource websites in the nation, to my knowledge- http://louisianacarry.org
  • I am a member of the Ark-La-Tex Gun Collectors Association, which puts on gun shows and donates all the proceeds to things like buying youth shooting organizations their firearms- firearms that have won national championships. We are also a part of the NRA.
  • I am a NRA certified volunteer rangesafety officer at one of the largest range complexes in the country, and certainly the largest in my State
  • I founded a State wide gun rights group and maintain an alert network to mobilize people when things happen that affect gun owners
  • I am pursuing a law degree for the sole purpose of being a PITA lawyer that holds municipalities in my State accountable when they step on the 2A
  • I train and shoot regularly, and teach new shooters the rudiments of firearm safety and handling for free on my own time, and even supply the weapons and ammo
  • I spend a sizable amount of my time and money running gun show booths to plug gun owners in to the 2A activism going on in their area, and work to get gun owners registered to vote
  • I am a part of the NRA ILA Grassroots, and am privy to what goes on in the background when gun bills are introduced in the LA Legislature
  • I open carry every day, and do so in a State not necessarily known to be OC friendly, with zero problems, and the respect of law enforcement and local officials
  • I am quite possibly more familiar with the gun laws in my State than anyone alive. Much of it I can quote chapter and verse, and I have corrected everyone from lawyers to Appeals Court judges on the fine points of it's interactions and ambiguities
This is all in addition to the time it takes me to run my business, be a good husband and take in foster kids. I could go on, but the point is that it has gotten to the point where people who I have never met see me on the street and ask me if I am "LouisianaCarry" and offer to buy me lunch so that they can pick my brain. I say all that not to imply that I am better than anyone else here, but to lay the groundwork for an understanding that I know who is doing what in my area, and who is not. I have reached out to all the major gun rights organizations in the country to offer assistance and to network for the benefit of LA gun owners. You want to guess which is the only organization that returned a single call or email? Yep- the NRA. When guns are seized unlawfully from citizens in LA, you want to guess who calls me to get information so that they can give these events national exposure? The SAF? The GOA? No, the NRA, again. Want to guess which CEO personally gave me his contact information so that I could alert him to outrages in LA next time they come up? Wayne LaPierre. You want to know who the Democrats hate for having the clout to muddle up their unconstitutional gun bills? Yep, the NRA again. You get my point. I have dealt with it first hand.

Now, on the flip side- to be fair, from a hard line 2A "shall not be infringed" mindset like I personally have, and I get the impression you have- the NRA just about sucks. They have dropped the ball many times, and could be doing a vast amount more than they are currently, or have in the past. They don't even attempt a fraction of the things that they should be pushing for, considering their history and available resources. But, while I am an idealist who pushes for the ultimate goal of an unhindered armed free populace, you and I must understand that we are dealing with people. Also, we are dealing with a large organization that is made up of many people who have not "seen the light" so to speak, as we have. The NRA Board of Directors is an elected body- elected by guys like you and me, but also by guys like Barney up the road who "doesn't see why anyone needs those black guns or more than five rounds in a magazine." Even if you or I were elected to the BoD tomorrow, we would be constrained by those around us.

Those people who make the decisions are not infallible. I know they tried to derail Heller at every turn, and only got on board when they saw there was no other way. I know they were a part of writing horrible bills that immorally abridge our rights to this day. However, I would caution you to forego passing judgment until you are sure you have all the info. How do you KNOW that the bills we live with would not have been WORSE without NRA members pulling strings to get the current working, instead of what may have been much worse (like a '94 AWB with NO sunset, instead of a 10 year expiration)? There are many times when an all or nothing stance will get you nothing, more often than not, I would venture to guess.

I do not have rose colored lenses that thinks whatever the NRA does is right, far from it. I have said before that their shortcomings are numerous. However, I put forth that it may be a result of you wearing dark lenses if everywhere you turn you see people who are just "in it for the money, and are willing to pass any bill they can to trample the 2A, as long as it keeps donations coming in." I know just enough about politics to say that it is very hard to know what goes on behind closed doors, and what seems to be a conspiracy may simply be people- fallible people without all the information or a complete understanding of the facts and/or morals of what they are a party to- doing the bet they know how to do.

Just like I am human in my endeavors to foster the 2A in my State, the NRA is made up of humans as well. Not all good, not all bad- and attaching yourself to the idea that they are one or the other will leave you with very little understanding of the realities of what is going on around you.

I am thankful for those who are awake enough to see how much more the NRA should be doing. There are many many people in this country with a little plastic membership card in their pocket that don't have the first clue that the Second Amendment has nearly nothing to do with hunting. But my challenge to those people is to get active and do everything they can to improve the situation- while being patient with those around them who may not have as deep an understanding of the RKBA as them- instead of jumping right to bitch mode. It may just be that your energy is what is needed at a critical time. If you feel like you are not able to do enough- don't give up! Keep trying, and put additional effort into getting involved in State and local organizations who probably also desperately need your help and insight.

I do know this- it is easy to Monday Morning Quarterback what others are doing. It is a drudging, time consuming, thankless task doing anything about it. I will continue giving people the benefit of the doubt and keep my criticisms private, unless absolutely forced to do otherwise.

Just something to think about.

Oh, here is an interesting article about all this, if you are still interested:

A Five-Minute Handbook for Gun rights Activists
First thanks for all you do. I agree with you 100%, we have to remember that we are in a battle. And in political battles anyone who is with you 70% of the time is your friend. I agree with your synopsis of the good and bad points of the NRA, they are on the same side as me most of the time. I think every true friend of freedom should be a member of EVERY true gun rights group they can afford. Gripe about them if you must, but be a dues paying member. I am lifetime GOA and NRA and soon TSRA. And I am the hard line guy that refused to vote for McCain because he is not with me even 50% of the time and voted for Chuck Baldwin. So I am willing to stop helping people who say they are with me but aren't . The NRA is the 800 lb gorilla that gets the attention. GOA is better in some ways, but they are the schnauzer nipping at the heels.