• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

kel-tec 9mm

sean3686

imported post

had a P-11 back home and I currently have a PF9 and there both great!

what do you want the gun for though, fun, CC?

they are small very light weight and function great.. shoot one just once and you will see why they are not target guns...

curtm1911

imported post

I own a P-11, a few 12 rd mags for it and it is a fine, small, potent pocketful. No tackdriver, not meant to be, it is what it is...........I like mine, it is even kinda fun to shoot too, recoil doesn't bother me, it does have a bit, being small and all...........but effective in it's niche........

apcci2

imported post

Both the Kel-Tec P11 and PF9 are good firearms. They are small, light, durable guns. They have a little recoil, but that is expected from a polymer framed cc gun. Kel-Tec also has decent customer service, not to the level or springfield or S&W, but not bad. Also, for around $250, its hard to be the product. I have owned and handled both and have never had any problems.

gbentzen8

imported post

nitrovic....Bought a P-11 in 1997, or about then. Had feed ramp trouble, which polishing fixed. Tried different 15 round mags and it was hitor miss even with a Clinton Gun Ban priced 15 round S&W factory mag. Had some real frustrations with mine over the years with various jamming issues. Finally, last year I sent it back to KelTec after my factory 10 round mags became spotty, along with a sad letter detailing my almost 10 year quest with my P-11.

Good news is that KelTec virtually gave me a new P-11. The only original parts left are the barrel and slide. When it was returned to me it included paper documentation regarding the fact that the firearm had to havemy original serial number applied to the new assembly.

Bottom line is that it has several hundred rounds thru it and it is eating what it's fed from factory mags (10rd and 12rd) and from S&W 15rd and an after market 15rd. Flawless function. I agree with another post.....it ain't no tack driver, but for its intended use it is one heck of a package. I stuck with this weapon, because I liked the size, weight, service caliber, and capacity.I think they've got them de-bugged now. GB

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'm a fan, I have a P11 and 2 P3ATs. With good factory mags and the White trigger stop the P11 is a reliable and accurate gun. Sure there are better but not for the same money. The P3AT is a great everyday carry gun, fits nicely in a pocket and is very concealable, a great BUG. Recoil is flippy and sharp, you won't want to put a box of ammo through it, but it is shootable.

gbentzen8

imported post

I'm happy with mine now that it is out of the safe and in service as a CC gun. I just kept trying different ammo and mags over time, and if I was frustratedI would park it back in the safe. Mine was an early KelTec. I violated my own philosophy when I bought it......too cutting edge , at the time(1997). Now I think they've got it Ollie.

Re. .380 I know there are many happy 3AT owners. I've been tempted by the P9 (PF9 ?), but held off, because of former issues with my P-11. Problem with guns is there are always more to buy. Like Phil Gramm once said "I own more guns then I need, but not as many as I want".......or something close to that. Cheers. GB

AllAmerican

imported post

I gave up n the Hi Point being an EDC so I bought 2 of the P11's and they are great!

I let my wife have her pick of the two. Hers had an issue the first time we took em out. It was jamming on every round while mine was flawless. Took em both down and did the fluff and buff and a good lube ob on em and now hers works just fine with narry a hiccup from either.

Mine will be for EDC and I plan on buying a few more Kel Tecs as BUG's

88 days and counting on the permits for she and I.

Pamiam

imported post

I carry a Kel-tec also, but it's the .38 rather than the 9mm. It's my backup weapon. (My primary is a S&W 640 hammerless .357 revolver, and if I could open carry I'd strap on the Taurus 9mm in a heartbeat).

The Kel-tec has a great slim profile, is light weight, and fits pretty much anywhere - even in a normal purse if need be.

That said, it did take some extra practice and a bit of gunsmithing to get it "right" for me.

I'm a tall woman, and have long fingers. I cannot hold the Kel-tec the same as my larger handguns. I have to shoot it with the fingertip instead of the finger pad. My fingers are just too darned long to get a good trigger squeeze on it with my regular grip.

The recoil was also a problem. I was not firm enough with it (I believe "limp wristed" is an appropriate description here), and it would jam on me. I took up too much of the recoil which the gun needed to properly feed the next cartridge.

Once a gunsmith cut down the spring for me, it worked jamlessly (as long as I keep it clean ;) - I've done 3 boxes of ammo straight without a jam, but it starts to gum up after that.)

This was all known/done at the time of purchase.

It's a nice little firearm. It just took a bit of tweaking.

Frankly, I like anything with which I can hit the target and fire a box of ammo without a jam.

I would never buy a gun I couldn't put a box of ammo through first without a rock solid money-back guarantee. Firearms are very personal things.

curtm1911

imported post

PamIAm,

Try extending your strong hand little finger outside of your grip and lock it into your weakhand hold. I shoot my P-11 that way when shooting two handed and it works.

BTW, Welcome to the forum and Enjoy.............

The grip thing works, I'm a Big Guy and have large paws.........lol

SHOOTER13

imported post

+1 on the Kel Tec 9mms...I own a PF-9 and I attached a LaserLyte aiming device on the picatinny rail...it makes for a sweet combo.

KELTECPF9-1.jpg