• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you need a gun in WalMart anyway?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That would be a bad situation all the way around. With the LEO in hot pursuit, armed robber shooting off rounds, if you were standing in the middle of all that, any armed reaction could get you killed by either side. An unarmed reaction could leave you dead as well. Scary stuffs.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was in Wal Mart last Sunday and ran into a co worker. When he saw That I was open carrying he asked why do I need a gun in a grocery store. I told him it's my right and also for my protection. He has a carry permit but does not always carry.

I'm printing this out to give him. You never know when you might need it.

Deepdiver that is a good point and something to consider.

denthack

imported post

Arguabley the outcome of any situationWILL changewhen a firearm in introduced by a GG carrying. Whether it is a positive or negative change all depends on the situation and the individual carrying. I don't think any person who chooses to carry a firearm should question when and where another RESPONSIBLE LEVEL HEADED person chooses to carry (baring the absurd). The fact is that it is impossible to determine the outcome of any situation or when such will occur. It we could we would all leave our guns at home and always be somewhere that we know a crime will not happen. The fact is some choose totips the balance of chance in their favor and rely on themselves to make sound judgements on when and where if ever to carry and use their weapon.Like Deep Diver pointed out... Every choice we make WILL have it's consequences. We all hope being informed and thinking about those choices ahead of time pays off when it comes time to make them.

First Law - "A particle will stay at rest or continue at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external unbalanced net force."

Substitute Particle with Event... no not a perfect philosophical point but you can see the parallel.

Third Law - "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction."

Makes you wanna think about any action you make. Think about the old west days... you sure as hell wouldn't act unless you were prepared for the reaction!

Aran

Banned
imported post

denthack wrote:
I don't think any person who chooses to carry a firearm should question when and where another RESPONSIBLE LEVEL HEADED person chooses to carry (baring the absurd)
So how about those of us who carry, literally, everywhere, all the time? Is that "the absurd"?

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Somebody's signature line in another forum I think sums up the question of 'Why do you carry..' quite nicely...
The answer is: 'Because a whole Cop is too heavy!'

open4years

imported post

Many years ago I got tired of concealing mouse guns in the high 90's and 100's and after all it was my right (with permit) to open carry in Georgia. Even so, I knew that it wasn't socially accepted yet, so I talked to both the local Sherrif and Cheif of Police. Neither had a problem so I began to open carry when conceal carry was a pain.

My first problems were in my local Walmart with security running up to me, "just to be sure." I also had major problems in our Lowes as they falsely believed that only LE can open carry.

We have two Walmarts and neither one has the legally required sign posting no firearms allowed. The strange thing is that when I began to open carry, there were concerned people everywhere. Now, no one bothers me and many don't even notice that I'm carrying openly. I believe this is due to my state of mind and becoming used to open carry.

Has anyone else noticed such a change as they themselves become used to open carry? Also, what states are the Walmarts in that don't allow firearms, other than LE, on their property? Any store that posts a sign saying that I'm not allowed toprovide for my own protection, is a store that will never get my business.

open4years

Eagle Eye

South end of the Gunshine State, Florida, USA
imported post

Seems here in South Florida all the Walmarts that I have been too, are freak shows of one sort or another. I very rarely go to Wally World any more as I can get what I need at other places such as Target or Publix or a specialty store (ie: furniture storeor vegetable stand). The mall is even rarer as there has been more than one shooting incident there also. There are a lot of thugs here and theawarenes factoris high for me and the family as we go about our daily business. Hopefully I will not have to draw down on some poormisguided soulwho thinks he can rob me for the little amount of cash I carry.

rmodel65

imported post

open4years wrote:
Many years ago I got tired of concealing mouse guns in the high 90's and 100's and after all it was my right (with permit) to open carry in Georgia. Even so, I knew that it wasn't socially accepted yet, so I talked to both the local Sherrif and Cheif of Police. Neither had a problem so I began to open carry when conceal carry was a pain.

My first problems were in my local Walmart with security running up to me, "just to be sure." I also had major problems in our Lowes as they falsely believed that only LE can open carry.

We have two Walmarts and neither one has the legally required sign posting no firearms allowed. The strange thing is that when I began to open carry, there were concerned people everywhere. Now, no one bothers me and many don't even notice that I'm carrying openly. I believe this is due to my state of mind and becoming used to open carry.

Has anyone else noticed such a change as they themselves become used to open carry? Also, what states are the Walmarts in that don't allow firearms, other than LE, on their property? Any store that posts a sign saying that I'm not allowed toprovide for my own protection, is a store that will never get my business.

open4years

no gun signs dont hold legal weight in ga. where in ga are you. im in brunswick and i carry open every day

open4years

imported post

I'm in Valdosta and I open carry most summer days.

As for those who have questioned why some of us choose to carry a firearm and/or carry it openly, in Walmart or elsewhere, my reply is that it is none of your business.

Law enforcement has no legal responsibility for your safety nor mine, so I choose to provide for my safety by carrying a firearm. I don't question your decision not to carry, or not to carry openly, and you shouldn't question mine or anyone elses.

I read the news, need I say more?

open4years

MSgt G

imported post

The headline below says "Tennessee Wal-Mart", but it was a few miles away in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, between where I live and work.

Employee, Suspect Shot at Tennessee Wal-Mart

FORT OGLETHORPE, Ga. (Dec. 27) - A robbery attempt at a Wal-Mart led to a shootout with police that left a suspect and a store employee injured.

The incident began around 10:45 p.m. Monday when Fort Oglethorpe police officer Richard Williams saw two suspicious men enter the store and then leave, authorities said. In a news release, Fort Oglethorpe police gave this account:

Williams followed one of the men - later identified as George Curtis Hughes, 44, of Cleveland, Tenn. - and asked him to stop.

Hughes then pulled out a 9 mm handgun and began firing at the officer, who took cover, returned fire and called for assistance.

Hughes' gun had a 30-round magazine, police said. Hughes also had other loaded magazines and ammunition.

Officer Chris Clark arrived on the scene and also exchanged fire with Hughes, police said.

Hughes was struck several times and was brought to Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga, Tenn., where he was listed in stable condition.

A Wal-Mart employee was struck by a bullet from Hughes during the shooting and was also brought to Erlanger Medical Center and listed in stable condition, police said.

Bullets hit officer Williams in the boot and shirt sleeve but he was not injured.

Police also arrested Clyde Junior Perchelli, 21, of Decatur, Tenn., who admitted being with Hughes and that Hughes intended to rob the store.

Both Hughes and Perchelli have been charged with criminal attempted robbery and weapons violations. Hughes has also been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and aggravated battery, police said.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Aran wrote:
denthack wrote:
I don't think any person who chooses to carry a firearm should question when and where another RESPONSIBLE LEVEL HEADED person chooses to carry (baring the absurd)
So how about those of us who carry, literally, everywhere, all the time? Is that "the absurd"?
If it is, then color me "absurd". :p