• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opencarry.org panders to anti open carry biz

Vegassteve

imported post

Just noticed the Bass Pro ad at the top of the page. Seems like money will always talk. Basspro is very anti open carry and at some store they are anti CCW. I know here in Vegas they are both.

If someone from OC.org who runs OC.orgcan show me something from Basspro corp that says they are friendly with us then I will eat my words.

Vegassteve

imported post

TheCiscoKid wrote:
they're anti-OC in general? or just in their stores?

Does it matter? If the store is anti then we should not place ads for them or shop there. If the store is anti that means online and catalog sales are as well.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well the ads are broken for me for some reason. However there have been straight up anti gun ads in the banners at times. I usually click on those so OCDO can get paid from the funds of those who would oppose us.

As for Bass Pro Shops, you failed to cite any evidence, so for what reason do you make the assertion that they are anti OC?

2a4all

imported post

There's a Bass Pro shop here (Hampton, VA) and I've open-carried there several times. Today, in fact, to buy some ammo.

My son purchased a Glock 23 there about 2 months ago, and he asked the clerk if it was OK to carry. The clerk told him that a surprising number of folks would come in visibly wearing their guns.

Today though, as I was checking out their handgun display, I did notice an armed security guard doing the same thing a few feet away. He had approached the display case from behind me. There were only two clerks on duty at the gun counter, who were busy talking to customers, so I had to wait to get a price check on the ammo I wanted. One of the clerks, who is a retired cop, was comparing CC holsters with another customer (both were CCing).

FogRider

imported post

I am running adblock, so I have no idea what ads are running, but something you might want to keep in mind is that most ads are simply controlled by a few keywords and the site owner does not have much control over which ones are displayed. I think the owner can say "please stop displaying X ad", but otherwise what happens is the ads see the keyword "guns" and display anything related to that, even "anti-gun". I could be completely wrong (someone who knows about how this site is run can correct me), but I'm pretty sure the Bass Pro ad is running because the ad company saw this site as related to "guns, shooting, outdoors, hunting, etc.".

MetalChris

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
How can Bass Pro Shops be "anti-gun" if they sell guns and ammo? That makes no sense at all.
RIF...no one ever said that BPS is anti-gun, but they are anti-OC.

Vegassteve

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
How can Bass Pro Shops be "anti-gun" if they sell guns and ammo? That makes no sense at all.

Just do a search on here under Bass Pro. Put the space in because it returns more. You will see.

Vegassteve

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Well the ads are broken for me for some reason. However there have been straight up anti gun ads in the banners at times. I usually click on those so OCDO can get paid from the funds of those who would oppose us.

As for Bass Pro Shops, you failed to cite any evidence, so for what reason do you make the assertion that they are anti OC?

Just do a search on here for Bass pro the results will show you.

Also I think that us complete stupidity that the owners of this site would allow anti gun ads. Why? Makes no sense other than they care about the money and that is it. Again still waiting for some response from the owners of this site to explain it all.

longwatch

imported post

Such a search shows me nothing except posts by people who like the chain. The etiquette on this forum is if you make a claim, it's on YOU to cite to authority, so what specifically are you talking about?

tittiger

imported post

Thats nothing... OpenCarry.org itself panders to government in that they are asking government for "permission" to open carry. Rather than strongly and unambiguously letting government know that self defense is our "right."

If we believe that is our right we DO NOT beg government to write laws giving us that right as governments can neither give not take away rights. In that case we are children asking permission.

Rather if we acted as if we were true Americans, with a spine, we would demand that all gun laws be immediately repealed. We would also demand that clearly worded prohibitions on government passing any new gun laws be made a part of every state constitution.

Honestly which path makes more sense to you?

1.) Begging on you knees for your God given rights as if they were a permission?

2.) Demanding your God given rights?

In Liberty,
Joe
http://truthtribune.com

MetalChris

imported post

tittiger wrote:
Thats nothing... OpenCarry.org itself panders to government in that they are asking government for "permission" to open carry. Rather than strongly and unambiguously letting government know that self defense is our "right."

If we believe that is our right we DO NOT beg government to write laws giving us that right as governments can neither give not take away rights. In that case we are children asking permission.

Rather if we acted as if we were true Americans, with a spine, we would demand that all gun laws be immediately repealed. We would also demand that clearly worded prohibitions on government passing any new gun laws be made a part of every state constitution.

Honestly which path makes more sense to you?

1.) Begging on you knees for your God given rights as if they were a permission?

2.) Demanding your God given rights?

In Liberty,
Joe
The only people here that think we need to ask for permission to Open Carry are people new to this site, or to the Open Carry concept in general. They are soon set straight on the issue.
Apparently you need to work on your reading comprehension.

tittiger

imported post

quote: "The only people here that think we need to ask for permission to Open Carry are people new to this site, or to the Open Carry concept in general. They are soon set straight on the issue.
Apparently you need to work on your reading comprehension."

Thanks for the heads up. I was misled because I have read post, after post, after post here where the underlying assumption is that you need the governments permission to do anything and everything.

If the position of OpenCarry.org is as you say. Then what are the specific steps that they are taking to insure that our God given rights are protected and recognized as rights as not as permissions? I am admittedly not omnipresent but I have never seen nor heard of any gun group do anything except to beg government like children for permision to do what they want to do.

That strategy will never get us anywhere as they will just pass 10 more laws and then we will be begging again for laws to counteract the 10 they just passed. It will go on this way forever.

To use an analogy, the gun group strategy I have universally seen is "hacking at the branches" and not the solution as Henry David Thoreau put it, as "Striking the Root."

If opencarry.org is approaching this issue differently please enlighten me as I would be very pleased to be wrong on this issue. This is NOT a rhetorical question. Please give me some specifics.

I think you need to go to the dictionary though and learn the meaning of the word comprehension. One must have knowledge of something before you can talk about "comprehension". I am not clairvoyant.

In Liberty,
Joe

longwatch

imported post

Oh please, lead us oh hero of the internet revolution. Sorry we let you down by working with the system to get things changed.

tittiger

imported post

Seems like you don't have an answer other than a thinly veiled ad hominem attack.

I can't think of anything any more "working within the system" than demanding the the Federal and State governments follow the law. i.e the Constitution. Can you?

The path that mainstream America is taking, is going to guarantee a lot of blood shed. What needs to be done to avoid this path is for the American people to understand the reason that being armed is not so that we can hunt deer. To paraphrase Dave Champion "the reason Americans retain arms is to kill tyrannical government officials, and to keep killing them until they stop being tyrannical." A population that thinks that "working within the system" is begging for permission from their government are going to be lambs led to the slaughter. They do not have the mindset that will be needed to do what may need to be done.

They have the mindset that as they are being led to the Rex 84 concentration camps that they should call their senator!

On the other hand by demanding the repeal of all gun laws and our right to self defense written explicitly in the state and federal constitutions, besides putting government on notice, will also serve the secondary yet very important purpose of changing the way the average citizen looks at his government. It will force people to realize that they are not sheep but rather sheep dogs.

Joe

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I'm not sure what you are proposing when you say, "demand that the federal and state governments follow the law". Writing to you congressmen? Openly carrying in places that are "illegal"?

I absolutely agree that the 2nd amendment doesn't put ANY restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms, and that yes, I should be able to own any weapon I can afford to buy, and should be able to carry anywhere I choose, and to use my weapons in any lawful manner that I choose.

But I still don't get what you mean when you say "demand". Do you honestly think they will repeal all the unconstitutional laws because you tell them to? Or because you point out that they are in fact unconstitutional? I'm afraid I'm just not seeing what your problem with this site is.

The people that frequent this site are helping to protect the 2nd amendment right of all Americans by EXERCISING that right in full view of the public.

tittiger