View Poll Results: What kind of OC belt holster do you use?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don Hume

2 1.34%
  • Bianchi

9 6.04%
  • Blackhawk!

54 36.24%
  • Uncle Mike's

11 7.38%
  • Fobus

15 10.07%
  • BladeTech

3 2.01%
  • Galco

9 6.04%
  • DeSantis

6 4.03%
  • Other Synthetic (Kydex or Nylon)

17 11.41%
  • Other Leather

23 15.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of OC belt holster do you use?

Post imported post

Prompted by a discussion on retention holsters on a different thread, I'd like to know what brand of holster is most popular for OWB open carry here. The poll is multiple-choice, so if you have more than one brand of holster for your main OC handgun(s), choose all that apply. If your holster brand is not represented (the poll is limited to 10 options) choose what material it is made from.

Post imported post

I'm currently using an Uncle Mike's holster with level I retention. I'm looking for something with level II retention, but find it difficult to find holsters for a Glock 30.

I'm thinking of getting a level III retention holster further in the future for work use (I'm a security guard).

Post imported post

I have a drawer full of holsters!

This was mostly trial and error along the path of finding which holsters work best for varied circumstances, eg., time of year, whether I'm wearing a suite or something more casual - not to mention I now I have 3 different pistols.

I have a Fobus ankle holster for my Glock 26, plus all the nylon and velcro gizmos that come with my 5.11 parka and jacket.

I have a Bianchi molded nylon OWB belt holster for the Bersa 380, which is the current "trainer" pistol for my lady friend. Also a custom leather belt slide holster that came with the pistol - no idea who made it, but it's a piece of crap anyway.

I have 2 different Safariland leathers - a pancake / belt slot style for a Glock 19 which my nephew now has, and a nice leather paddle for my Beretta 96. That's what I normally use when in suite and tie mode, unless I'm carrying the small Glock on my ankle. I also have an Aker leather flatsider, another belt-slot style with level - I retention for my Beretta.

I also have a Galco ******* Shoulder rig for the Beretta. Normally a fall / winter wear piece.

Let's see - what else is in the drawer.... an Uncle Mike's IWB which I hate. A custom leather IWB from Backwoods Leather, which was very nice when new. I've gotten away from IWB so I never use it anymore. A no name stiffened nylon belt slide which is a piece of crap, an elastic belly band that I got for the lady friend - she can't stand it. A Kramer T-shirt rig with elasitc holster bands under the arm pits - novel idea but sucks in practice. And a thunder-wear crotch holster. Again - novel idea but I quickly realized this was a stupid idea and horribly uncomfortable if you had to sit for long periods of time.

Here's the biggest thing I've learned about holsters. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. A cheap holster is a cheap holster - period. Good holsters certainly cost more money, but they're worth it!

Post imported post

Serpa.

Post imported post

I have a couple of Serpas (and a thigh rig for them), and about half a dozen different Galco leather holsters, on of which is a Miami Classic.

Post imported post

Desantis Yaqui Slide

I'd like to try one of the leather pancake-style molded holsters for a little more secure retention. With the Yaqui slide my gun tends to flop a little bit (especially if I try to move at any faster than a walk).

Post imported post

Blackhawk Serpa......

Walker

Post imported post

I make my own holsters and have for some years now. They are leather, usually strong-side, high ride, butt to the rear. They fit close and tight and I can cover the gun with my elbow. I usually have a over the hammer thumb break, but a couple are simply fitted tightly and I have an adjustment to retain.

Most all of my open carry type - and most of my hideout - holsters are carved in some decorative pattern. To me, it's like having decent grips and a good finish on the gun, clean clothes and shined shoes. It just seems proper.

For commercial holsters, I used to favor Don Hume. But it was owned by Don Hume in those days. I haven't seen much commercial stuff lately. Most of what I've seen is either plastic, mass produced or both. I'm an old grump and the new stuff really doesn't impress me much.
    I'm too old to take a beating, don't fight so well and my knees don't allow me to run. Do I carry a gun? Don't ask questions for which you don't want an answer.

Post imported post

I've got a Bianchi or two, a Desantis, and three from El Paso Saddlery.

My favorite, but rarely worn:

http://arizonagunowners.com - The best AZ gun board around!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

JesseL

That is a really nice picture you posted of you and your kid. Man you look so happy there! Awesome!!

Post imported post

Thanks Alwayspacking!

I do tend to enjoy being out with the little guy.

http://arizonagunowners.com - The best AZ gun board around!

Post imported post

OldManMontgomery wrote:
    I make my own holsters and have for some years now. They are leather, usually strong-side, high ride, butt to the rear. They fit close and tight and I can cover the gun with my elbow. I usually have a over the hammer thumb break, but a couple are simply fitted tightly and I have an adjustment to retain.

Most all of my open carry type - and most of my hideout - holsters are carved in some decorative pattern. To me, it's like having decent grips and a good finish on the gun, clean clothes and shined shoes. It just seems proper.

For commercial holsters, I used to favor Don Hume. But it was owned by Don Hume in those days. I haven't seen much commercial stuff lately. Most of what I've seen is either plastic, mass produced or both. I'm an old grump and the new stuff really doesn't impress me much.
    Wow. Is this a hobby for you, or a business? Can you post a pic or two? I'd like to see your handy-work...

Post imported post

I use a Serpa.

I'm surprised that Safariland isn't on the list...

Post imported post

I justbought a Bianchi Ranger Shadow (nylon) to try out. EDIT: ok the rangershadow I'm happy with. Pulls the gun tight like the accumold belt slides I have, but it covers the muzzle of the gun which I like.

I have a belt loop accumold I got, didn't like how it attached to the belt (didn't ride close enough for my liking).

Got an accumold paddle, liked it, but I'd have to pull my belt tighter, or else the gun wouldn't ride close enough for my liking...not to mention the two screws that attach the paddle to the holster would pull though the plastic slots (plastic too flexible) if tugged on hard enough. While trying to reinforce that one with a piece of aluminum sheeting, it got busted with a hammer. Gave me an excuse to go all out with reinforcement. Replaced the original screws and stuff with bolts twice the diameter using nuts instead of screws. That sucker ain't going nowhere now!

I do have two accumold belt slide holsters which I like, rides close and doesn't need my belt tightened any more than normal.

I have a Blackhawk serpa for my XD45 and it's great.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    I use a Serpa.

I'm surprised that Safariland isn't on the list...
    The forum software limits polls to only 10 choices. If I left your particular brand out, I apologize.

Post imported post

anybody have a preference on iwb carry? i like the serpa padel for owb, seems to fit nicely.

Post imported post

Sourdough Pancake holster from simplyrugged.com

Best revolver holster going, especially for smaller guns like those with 3 inch barrels.

Post imported post

opspecial wrote:
    anybody have a preference on iwb carry? i like the serpa padel for owb, seems to fit nicely.

I'm a huge fan of the Kramer IWB holsters http://www.kramerleather.com/

Post imported post

You wouldnt know where I could find a quality leather holster for an XDM would you?

I have found tons for the XD but none for the XDM yet. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Post imported post

Fobus pancake. Really rides easy both OC and CC. Glock 21.

Post imported post

I use the Fobus Paddle holster for my Hi-Point 9mm. It is okay for walking around etc, but tends to be a bit uncomfortable when sitting down. Plus there are some solder points that can rub your side a bit.

For my GLOCK 22, I use a Galco and it seems to be just right. Plus I like my glock a lot better, and prefer to OC it. Strangely the Glock seems to draw people's eyes more then my Hi-Point. This is good and bad. My wife had someone following her to the car, I was waiting as she ran in to the store to buy something, and when i got out when i saw she was in trouble the Glock turned trouble away. Fast, so that is the good part. The bad part...well I guess that would be for anyone who is uncomfortable about gun and is their own problem.

Post imported post

Galco Silhouette for my S&W model 21.

Jim

Post imported post

uncle mike holster with a nylon rig when my job calls for.

Post imported post

SickTag wrote:

Is this the way you carry?

Are you wearing a paddle holsteron the outside of your pants?

So, you have to switch your firearm to your non dominant hand to reload?
    With a revolver carrying a reload on the same side (2 or 11) as your firearm makes sense butI don't see it being efficient with a semi auto.

Just my .02
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

My first new holster in years just arrived. It's a SERPA for my SA1911-A1.

Nice comfortable draw right from the box.

Milady said of the snapcaps, "Will they shoot?" And, "I just don't think people will understand. I think that you're drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.

So I'll work on the draw while she's not around so's I can put the snapcaps away.

I chose the SERPA for the material's expected longevity and for the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast