• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What kind of OC belt holster do you use?

What kind of OC belt holster do you use?

• Don Hume

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bianchi

• Blackhawk!

• Uncle Mike's

• Fobus

• BladeTech

• Galco

• DeSantis

• Other Synthetic (Kydex or Nylon)

• Other Leather

• Total voters

like_the_roman

imported post

Prompted by a discussion on retention holsters on a different thread, I'd like to know what brand of holster is most popular for OWB open carry here. The poll is multiple-choice, so if you have more than one brand of holster for your main OC handgun(s), choose all that apply. If your holster brand is not represented (the poll is limited to 10 options) choose what material it is made from.

WCrawford

imported post

I'm currently using an Uncle Mike's holster with level I retention. I'm looking for something with level II retention, but find it difficult to find holsters for a Glock 30.

I'm thinking of getting a level III retention holster further in the future for work use (I'm a security guard).

Armed

imported post

I have a drawer full of holsters! :)

This was mostly trial and error along the path of finding which holsters work best for varied circumstances, eg., time of year, whether I'm wearing a suite or something more casual - not to mention I now I have 3 different pistols. :):):)

I have a Fobus ankle holster for my Glock 26, plus all the nylon and velcro gizmos that come with my 5.11 parka and jacket.

I have a Bianchi molded nylon OWB belt holster for the Bersa 380, which is the current "trainer" pistol for my lady friend. Also a custom leather belt slide holster that came with the pistol - no idea who made it, but it's a piece of crap anyway.

I have 2 different Safariland leathers - a pancake / belt slot style for a Glock 19 which my nephew now has, and a nice leather paddle for my Beretta 96. That's what I normally use when in suite and tie mode, unless I'm carrying the small Glock on my ankle. I also have an Aker leather flatsider, another belt-slot style with level - I retention for my Beretta.

I also have a Galco Jackass Shoulder rig for the Beretta. Normally a fall / winter wear piece.

Let's see - what else is in the drawer.... an Uncle Mike's IWB which I hate. A custom leather IWB from Backwoods Leather, which was very nice when new. I've gotten away from IWB so I never use it anymore. A no name stiffened nylon belt slide which is a piece of crap, an elastic belly band that I got for the lady friend - she can't stand it. A Kramer T-shirt rig with elasitc holster bands under the arm pits - novel idea but sucks in practice. And a thunder-wear crotch holster. Again - novel idea but I quickly realized this was a stupid idea and horribly uncomfortable if you had to sit for long periods of time.

Here's the biggest thing I've learned about holsters. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. A cheap holster is a cheap holster - period. Good holsters certainly cost more money, but they're worth it!

squisher

imported post

Desantis Yaqui Slide

I'd like to try one of the leather pancake-style molded holsters for a little more secure retention. With the Yaqui slide my gun tends to flop a little bit (especially if I try to move at any faster than a walk).

Walker

imported post

Blackhawk Serpa......

serpa.jpg

serpa1.jpg

serpa2.jpg

Walker

OldManMontgomery

imported post

I make my own holsters and have for some years now. They are leather, usually strong-side, high ride, butt to the rear. They fit close and tight and I can cover the gun with my elbow. I usually have a over the hammer thumb break, but a couple are simply fitted tightly and I have an adjustment to retain.

Most all of my open carry type - and most of my hideout - holsters are carved in some decorative pattern. To me, it's like having decent grips and a good finish on the gun, clean clothes and shined shoes. It just seems proper.

For commercial holsters, I used to favor Don Hume. But it was owned by Don Hume in those days. I haven't seen much commercial stuff lately. Most of what I've seen is either plastic, mass produced or both. I'm an old grump and the new stuff really doesn't impress me much.

Armed

imported post

OldManMontgomery wrote:
I make my own holsters and have for some years now. They are leather, usually strong-side, high ride, butt to the rear. They fit close and tight and I can cover the gun with my elbow. I usually have a over the hammer thumb break, but a couple are simply fitted tightly and I have an adjustment to retain.

Most all of my open carry type - and most of my hideout - holsters are carved in some decorative pattern. To me, it's like having decent grips and a good finish on the gun, clean clothes and shined shoes. It just seems proper.

For commercial holsters, I used to favor Don Hume. But it was owned by Don Hume in those days. I haven't seen much commercial stuff lately. Most of what I've seen is either plastic, mass produced or both. I'm an old grump and the new stuff really doesn't impress me much.
Wow. Is this a hobby for you, or a business? Can you post a pic or two? I'd like to see your handy-work...

nova

imported post

I justbought a Bianchi Ranger Shadow (nylon) to try out. EDIT: ok the rangershadow I'm happy with. Pulls the gun tight like the accumold belt slides I have, but it covers the muzzle of the gun which I like.

I have a belt loop accumold I got, didn't like how it attached to the belt (didn't ride close enough for my liking).

Got an accumold paddle, liked it, but I'd have to pull my belt tighter, or else the gun wouldn't ride close enough for my liking...not to mention the two screws that attach the paddle to the holster would pull though the plastic slots (plastic too flexible) if tugged on hard enough. While trying to reinforce that one with a piece of aluminum sheeting, it got busted with a hammer. Gave me an excuse to go all out with reinforcement. Replaced the original screws and stuff with bolts twice the diameter using nuts instead of screws. That sucker ain't going nowhere now!

I do have two accumold belt slide holsters which I like, rides close and doesn't need my belt tightened any more than normal.

I have a Blackhawk serpa for my XD45 and it's great.

opspecial

imported post

anybody have a preference on iwb carry? i like the serpa padel for owb, seems to fit nicely.

CaptainDan

imported post

You wouldnt know where I could find a quality leather holster for an XDM would you?

I have found tons for the XD but none for the XDM yet. Any help would be appreciated, thanks