• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Pressure at work

squisher

imported post

Preface: I do not carry at work. I regularly don't even bother even having it in the car (especially if I know that I'm not running any errands after work and going straight home).

On the other hand, while I'm not at work I am 100% open carry in the non-winter months. (Large-Frame 9mm).

My supervisor's son has seen me out and about after hours (which is fine, I'm on friendly terms with him at the least) and noticed my sidearm -- again, so what right? (I didn't see him, or I would have said hi)

Apparently he said something to his dad (probably just part of conversation, who knows), and my boss asked me about it the next day. I told him that that's just how I carry, primarily for the comfort. He mentioned that I ought not "draw that kind attention to yourself." I'm thinking "What kind of attention?" you know? I hadn't noticed really any reaction from people by and large at that point. (This was ~ 2 weeks ago).

Just today he pointed out the news story from this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/16426.html
(He didn't see it here I'm sure) and he decided that that was the example he needed to try and convince me again that OC wasn't a good idea (He owns at least one CC gun, so it's not like he's anti gun).

Arg. He thinks I'm trying to make a political statement :)banghead:), when I just want to be able to carry in peace, according to the law.

Sounds like I need to point him here? He used the "bad guys target you first" argument as well. I just need to talk to him about it (I'll wait and see if he brings it up again, I don't want to be forceful), if I can get him to listen w/o getting political about it. Any tips?

(OK, end rant)

Skippy

imported post

He used the "bad guys target you first" argument as well.

It drives me batty when I hear people (especially gun people) continue to use this straw man argument. When has it EVER happened? Seriously? Show me one instance where a bad guy went after the armed citizen first. (Not counting LEOs of course, since that's a whole different psychological discussion).

squisher

imported post

"Targeted First" is a pretty lame argument for sure. His specific example was "if one was to sneak up on you and whack you over the head, they'd have your gun"

I told him that if they did it that way, they'd have it even if I was Concealed carry. And honestly, how often does that sort of waylaying happen if you're in an open, public, well-lit type location? (I do try to avoid the typical "dark alley" and other "fringe" areas as best I can).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

squisher wrote:
Preface: I do not carry at work. I regularly don't even bother even having it in the car (especially if I know that I'm not running any errands after work and going straight home).

On the other hand, while I'm not at work I am 100% open carry in the non-winter months. (Large-Frame 9mm).

My supervisor's son has seen me out and about after hours (which is fine, I'm on friendly terms with him at the least) and noticed my sidearm -- again, so what right? (I didn't see him, or I would have said hi)

Apparently he said something to his dad (probably just part of conversation, who knows), and my boss asked me about it the next day. I told him that that's just how I carry, primarily for the comfort. He mentioned that I ought not "draw that kind attention to yourself." I'm thinking "What kind of attention?" you know? I hadn't noticed really any reaction from people by and large at that point. (This was ~ 2 weeks ago).

Just today he pointed out the news story from this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/16426.html
(He didn't see it here I'm sure) and he decided that that was the example he needed to try and convince me again that OC wasn't a good idea (He owns at least one CC gun, so it's not like he's anti gun).

Arg. He thinks I'm trying to make a political statement :)banghead:), when I just want to be able to carry in peace, according to the law.

Sounds like I need to point him here? He used the "bad guys target you first" argument as well. I just need to talk to him about it (I'll wait and see if he brings it up again, I don't want to be forceful), if I can get him to listen w/o getting political about it. Any tips?

(OK, end rant)
It's really none of your boss' business how you carry as long as it's legal. I would document this and have it on hand if he should "lay you off" for some reason. You might have a unlawful dismissal case.

squisher

imported post

Venator wrote:
squisher wrote:

(OK, end rant)
It's really none of your boss' business how you carry as long as it's legal. I would document this and have it on hand if he should "lay you off" for some reason. You might have a unlawful dismissal case.
I'll keep that in mind, although I seriously doubt my job is at risk. I believe that he is just "watching out for me," but I also agree that how I carry is none of his concern.

I guess a gentle reminder to MYOB might be the best thing to do (and I stress gentle).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

squisher wrote:
I'll keep that in mind, although I seriously doubt my job is at risk. I believe that he is just "watching out for me," but I also agree that how I carry is none of his concern.

I guess a gentle reminder to MYOB might be the best thing to do (and I stress gentle).
Yes be nice. Say you appreciate his concern, but that the choice is ultimately yours. Also ask him to provide any example to back up the first target myth he is perpetuating.

rattman

imported post

I have thinking that the open carrying of a gun might make you a target but then I like to think in the worst case scenario mind set but since I have not fond any cases of it happening it has just been a what if thing. I feel that it is more of a deterrent than a threat to the OC’er (and if it’s such a bad idea the why do cops do it?) I think the best thing would be 1 person OC and 1 CC that way you got all the bases coverd!

JBURGII

imported post

I once told a friend who insisted I should conceal, "You know, you are right! I should conceal a back up gun just in case this one runs out."

er.. um..

Rev. Jim

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

squisher

You might want to share this fact with your boss.

From Gunfacts 5.1: www.GunFacts.info

[align=left]"60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed."[/align]
Source: Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms, James Wright and Peter Rossi, Aldine, 1986

squisher

imported post

Wow, back from the dead.

Dealt with and moved on ... heck, I have a totally different job now.

Now I'm waiting for Bauer to either get his cranium removed from his rectal cavity or for him to finally be replaced so IN can get the "parking lot" bill passed.

Thanks though.