• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I made the post tribune for OCing

Crown Point OCer

imported post

this past labor day I wen't to the parade in Lowell,IN. I was OCing as always, my wife was in the parade and I was there with my mother and brother in-law and his wife.there were people all around us and kids running into the street to get candy,I even went into the street to get some myself.I was talking to some of the people around us and no one noticed or cared that i was carrying as no one mentioned it.about a week later my brother in-law showed me the post tribune paper and in there quickly colume there was an artical about "the grown man with a gun at the parade" it wen't on to say that I was intiminating the children at the parade and that I should just leave my gun at home.from where I was sitting I didn't notice anyone that looked antiminated and no one said anything to me.I think that the only person intiminated was the person that wrote the artical.I replyed back to the quickly colume that if people were better informed about guns they would know that guns alone don't hurt people,and that it is leagle and my right to carry a gun, surprize surprize my artical has not been posted as of yet and most likely never will.:banghead:

also last weekend my wife and I wen't to a car/craft show on the streets of Wheetfeild,IN I noticed the county LEO,s walking around and thought nothing of it,about an hour later I was approched by a LEO he stated that he had some reports of AMWAG he asked to see my LTCH and I showed it to him he was very polite and professional about it and just said to hav a nice day , so I offered to untuck my shirt and conceal it he said that I didn't need to but thathe would appreciate that so he would stop getting the MWAG calls, I did and we walked around for a while longer and left.nice to know that the jasper co.police know the laws.:lol:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Crown Point OCer wrote:
I was approched by a LEO he stated that he had some reports of AMWAG he asked to see my LTCH and I showed it to him he was very polite and professional about it and just said to hav a nice day , so I offered to untuck my shirt and conceal it he said that I didn't need to but thathe would appreciate that so he would stop getting the MWAG calls, I did and we walked around for a while longer and left.nice to know that the jasper co.police know the laws.:lol:

Yet he got you to obey his order and you complied to make people feel what??? safer?, not afraid? more comfortable? I don't get it. Either you can lawfully OC or not. One of the points of the OC movement is to get people used toseeing lawful people with firearms, by hiding yours you are defeating this purpose.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Venator wrote:
Crown Point OCer wrote:
he never ordered me to do any thing but show him my LTCH,and then he didn't order me to he asked very politely.
An order with a smile...hummm. Whatever makes you happy.

I don't want to be so harsh, but must agree. You should have done every thing that you did except for hiding you side arm, the more the sheeple see our guns and get use to them then the MWAGC will stop.

We are all trying to be law abiding people and to help educate the public that our 2nd AMENDMENT does exist and get rid of the hide your gun mentality that this country has adopted as standard practice, like the saying goes "use it or lose it".

Our job is not to make a leo's job easer, they can ask more questions on the phone like -- leo dispatcher --is the man with a gun waving it around and threatening any one . caller-- no he is just walking around with it in a holster on his hip. leo-- Ok sir/mam that is legal and there is nothing we will do or can do about it, thanks for calling.

The fact that they run after every stupid call like that is not our fault and shouldn't become our responsibility to accommodate anyoneelse, we are well with in our rights and shouldn't suppress our rights just to make the sheeple or the leo's feel better.

:cool::dude::p

Venator

imported post

cce1302 wrote:
Venator wrote:
Crown Point OCer wrote:
he never ordered me to do any thing but show him my LTCH,and then he didn't order me to he asked very politely.
An order with a smile...hummm. Whatever makes you happy.

Maybe you don't know Indiana Law, Venator.

Good call, Crown Point OCer.
Indiana you need a permit to posses a handgun, I know. But the cover it part...hum.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I used to live in Indiana, you need a permit to CARRY a pistol, period. OC or CC, you have to have a permit, therefore, if a LEO asks for it, you must show it. Even if OCing.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Have you ever offered to help LEO look for AMWAG?
My first thought is, nope haven't seen one, so he must be that way somewhere.:cool:

We need more audio of how they get the complaint, so that we can make same
when spotting ACWAG. And they brandish said arms as well, this makes me very
intimidated/nervous/concerned/worried.

I don't haver trouble complying with a respectful request, but if they are trying
to bully, then it isn't going to work. It is all in the mutual respect,
I don't get it, I won't give it.

FogRider

imported post

Mack 12ga. wrote:
Our job is not to make a leo's job easer ...snip...
The other side of that coin is there is no reason to deliberately make it any harder. It's your call, but being deliberately uncooperative is not going to do you any favors. Venator called it "An order with a smile". What happens if you refuse? Now it really is an order, but you also have an annoyed cop. If I know my choices are "Comply with a reasonable request, keep the officer happy" and "Ignore the request and get an order from an unhappy cop", I'm taking door #1 every time.

Venator

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Mack 12ga. wrote:
The other side of that coin is there is no reason to deliberately make it any harder. It's your call, but being deliberately uncooperative is not going to do you any favors. Venator called it "An order with a smile". What happens if you refuse? Now it really is an order, but you also have an annoyed cop. If I know my choices are "Comply with a reasonable request, keep the officer happy" and "Ignore the request and get an order from an unhappy cop", I'm taking door #1 every time.
I realize that you have to present a license in Indiana if you have a handgun on you. I was more concerned with the covering up part. I'll be polite, but I won't give them more than the law allows, a denial with a smile, hey it rhymes.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I would not aquiece for somebody's hoplophobia... First off... a Permit to exercise a pre-existing Right ain't makin' it. CC... I can understand... but not OC. I know... I know... it's better than nothing... but still alludes to a Right being granted by the state. Rights are NOT granted... only recognized and defended.

Iwatch these snowbirds down here all the time :what:checkin' out those of us who're heeled... 'Near breakin' a sweat at the very sight of a holstered whatever. (Little whispers... pointing... :shock:... Eeeek!)

Mack 12ga.

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Mack 12ga. wrote:

I did not in any way suggest that we make it harder, just to stand for our rights. If they get pissed because I don't except there request to cover it up then there is nothing they can do about it, and if they try to use there badge as a tool to intimidate me then I'll counter with a Lawyer.

So long as we are fallowing the law then I don't have to retreat from an leo just because he doesn't want any more calls of AMWAG, I just don't care that they get the calls, these sheeple have the right to call any one they want and I have a right to carry a side arm and refuse to hide it just to make them FEEL BETTER .

This website is for Open Carry, not lets hide it from the leo, sheeple to make them happy, you can go start another site for that,and I promise I wont sign on to it so you wont feel intimidated.

P.S --Idon't look for favors from any leo.

Sleepless

imported post

Mack 12ga. wrote:
I did not in any way suggest that we make it harder, just to stand for our rights. If they get pissed because I don't except there request to cover it up then there is nothing they can do about it, and if they try to use there badge as a tool to intimidate me then I'll counter with a Lawyer.

So long as we are fallowing the law then I don't have to retreat from an leo just because he doesn't want any more calls of AMWAG, I just don't care that they get the calls, these sheeple have the right to call any one they want and I have a right to carry a side arm and refuse to hide it just to make them FEEL BETTER .

This website is for Open Carry, not lets hide it from the leo, sheeple to make them happy, you can go start another site for that,and I promise I wont sign on to it so you wont feel intimidated.

P.S --Idon't look for favors from any leo.

Mack I know this post is very late but better late then never, I just noticed something that you might have missed in the OP post.

"About an hour later I was approched by a LEO he stated that he had some reports of AMWAG he asked to see my LTCH and I showed it to him he was very polite and professional about it and just said to hav a nice day , so I offered to untuck my shirt and conceal it he said that I didn't need to but thathe would appreciate that so he would stop getting the MWAG calls"

So the OP after the LEO had told him to have a nice day and was about to leave offered to cover up the gun and carry concealed and the LEO actually told him that he didn't need to do that, so there was never any request to cover up the gun and instead the OP seemed to want to help out the LEO instead so that the LEO wouldn't have to come back every time they got a call of a MWAG.

But I think that the OP could ask the LEO to contact Dispatch and have them askany caller if the person in question was acting in a threatening manner or anything that would warrant the police to be sent to the location and if the caller explains that the person is walking around with a gun on their hip then they could mention that it is legal and is not warranted to have the police dispatched.

Hope this helps you Mack.