• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

denied in NC

ncheel

imported post

I am in Va, but havea brother who is still in NC (Robeson county)where he was recently denied a permit to purchase a handgun. He has a domestic violence charge against him that is 18 years old and other than that is clean. Will he never be able to purchase a hangun? A shotgun for hunting? I googled and could not find the answer. He did not receive anything in writing stating why he was denied.

RayBurton72

imported post

IIRC, the domestic charge will ALWAYS prevent a CHP (unless he gets it expunged). It should have no bearing on purchasing a long arm (unless the charge was a felony conviction.)

ncheel

imported post

Thanks. There was no felony conviction. He doesnt have internet, and I was just trying to get him some answers and figured this was a good place to start.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

The form that must be completed to purchase a firearm asks if the purchaser has ever been convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence and it is a disqualifying offense. He will never be able to purchase a gun from a FFL Dealer under the current laws unless he gets it expunged.

JManier

imported post

i am new to the fourms, so please be gentle. i am a NC resident and live in robeson county. i understand what your brother is going thru. i ahev never been convicted nor arrested ever in my life. i have been trying to get a handgun purchase for the past 10 years and due to the way they issue the permits i may never get one. i will attach a link to the laws for permits.

http://www.robesoncoso.org/permits.htm

the problem is, you have to have 3 persons sign the permit application for you, but you are not allowed to ask these people to sign the permit. i actualy called today to get a better understanding of the application process. once you have the background check, you then have to fill out an application to recieve a purchase permit. it takes 2-3 days for them to process that application. you then can pick up the permit 10 days after it has been signed by 3 people. the problem with that is it may take 1 day to 6 months for 3 people to sign the permit application. like i stated above i first applied for a purchase permit in December of 1998. i called ever 2 weeks until August of 1999 and my permit had never been signed. i am gonna go thru the process one more time. hopefully i will get a permit this time.

good luck you your brother.

JManier

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Get a CHP instead... Wait... is that the pistol equivalent of "let them eat cake"?

in north carolina a CHP is seperate from a purchase permit. now it is my understanding as explaind to me by a local gun shop owner, a CHP can be used as your background check in the application process for purchase permit. going tomorrow to fill the apps out again for a purchase permit. whish me luck.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

In NC if you have a CHP you never need a purchase permit. It serves the same purpose, and you don't have a limit to how many firearms you can buy at a time. My CHP was the downfall of my bank account. IF you manage to get the permit from your county, you can only get 3 at a time for $5 a piece.

JManier

imported post

can you give me a solid link to where it states that. if that is the case then i will go that route. any help would be great .40

robeson county CHP = $90.00

CHP class = $110.00 + ammo

purchase permit = $10.00

CHP might have to wait for me. as long as the OC is still legal in NC.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
[font=BernhardModBT,Bold]
[align=left]B. North Carolina Requirements[/align]
[/font]
[align=left]North Carolina's pistol permitting and concealed carry permit laws qualify as an[/align]
[align=left]alternative to the requirements of the Brady Law. Therefore, when a person desires to[/align]
[align=left]purchase a handgun from a federally-licensed dealer, the person needs to comply solely with[/align]
[align=left]North Carolina's pistol permit laws, and present a valid permit to purchase a handgun or[/align]
[align=left]valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. (Please note: Even if a NICS inquiry[/align]
[align=left]by a federally-licensed dealer was done in this circumstance, it does not do away with the[/align]
[align=left]necessity for a pistol purchase permit.) As always, any other transfer between private[/align]
[align=left]individuals is also governed by North Carolina's pistol permit laws.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:

[/font]

[align=left]North Carolina's pistol permitting and concealed carry permit laws qualify as an[/align]

[align=left]alternative to the requirements of the Brady Law. Therefore, when a person desires to[/align]

[align=left]purchase a handgun from a federally-licensed dealer, the person needs to comply solely with[/align]

[align=left]North Carolina's pistol permit laws, and present a valid permit to purchase a handgun or[/align]

[align=left]valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. (Please note: Even if a NICS inquiry[/align]

[align=left]by a federally-licensed dealer was done in this circumstance, it does not do away with the[/align]

[align=left]necessity for a pistol purchase permit.) As always, any other transfer between private[/align]

[align=left]individuals is also governed by North Carolina's pistol permit laws.[/align]

[align=left][/align]
Key word, bud.

JManier

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:

[/font]

[align=left][/align]
Key word, bud.
this is what is the confusing part. if this was not in the law i would be doing the CHP way, but all the laws read like chinees stereo instructions. being born and raised in NC i am not the sharpest knife in the tool box.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

The CHP acts as the purchase permit. You need one or the other to buy a handgun. The best part is that you don't need to do NICS checks for handguns or rifles with aCHP. If you don't have a permit, you can still buy a rifle but you have to go through the system. CHP avoids a lot of hassles and paper trails.

Good luck, which ever way you go.

JManier

imported post

i cant afford right now with the economy the way it is to do the CHP and the class for the second part of the CHP.

it is my understanding tho that once i get or am issued a permit it becomes alot easier to get another one.

once you got the CHP, you dont have to go thru all the red tape again right? if that is the case the purchase permit is my foot in the door sort of speak.

RayBurton72

imported post

Having a purchase permit is of no value in getting a CHP, it is only good for puchasing a pistol permit and the requirements for the CHP are MUCH stricter than a purchase permit.

And how many purchase permits you can get at a time depends on your county sheriff - In Guilford County, it is 5 permits per application, $5 each.

I keep five at all times and once I purchase a pistol, I go get 5 more, until I get back below five - just so I never have to say no to a good deal :)

JManier

imported post

well i went yesterday and put in for a purchase permit. now all i have to do is hunt down 3 LEO's and get them to sign the application. so i should have my purchase permit in about 3 months. hope it is sooner.

RayBurton72

imported post

JManier wrote:
well i went yesterday and put in for a purchase permit. now all i have to do is hunt down 3 LEO's and get them to sign the application. so i should have my purchase permit in about 3 months. hope it is sooner.

That is screwed up for just a purchase permit....

And I seem to remember, that if your "purpose" is "collecting" a sheriff from another county can issue you a permit. I think the sheriff issues permits at some of the gun shows in Eastern NC, like New Bern...

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

first of all, some of you are mistaken.

the 3 signatures you are referring to do not need to be from "Law Enforcement Officials". they need to be from 3 friends (not family members) that are essentially saying to the Sheriff "Yes he deserves the right to purchase a handgun, he is not insane or crazy or violent, etc...). this is on the application to get a Pistol Purchase Permit. how do i know this? because before I got my Concealed Handgun Permit, i got 4 Pistol Purchase Permits.

if you have a concealed handgun permit, you dont need to go get a permit to purchase a handgun. certainly its more expensive and more time consuming, but very well worth it. i spent about $200 total including the 8 hour concealed carry class at a local shooting range, plus the fee at the sheriff's office. then i waited for 3 and 1/2 months for them to call me and tell me to pick it up. with a concealed carry permit, you can buy as many handguns as you wish and you only need to renew the permit every 5 years. with a purchase permit, you can only purchase 1 handgun per purchase permit that you buy from the sheriff's office.

have a nice day. :)

JManier

imported post

thanks for the info rob, but if you read the link i put in a reply above. you will see for my county it has to be a LEO.

if i dont get the purchase permit then my next course of action will be the CHP. got 1 that i know of, working on the other 2.