Thread: '53rd Assembly candidates debate the issues' TheNorthWestern.com

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/...809250470/1987

53rd Assembly candidates debate the issues

By Patricia Wolff
    of The Northwestern

The most glaring difference between the two candidates for the 53rd District seat in the state Assembly appears to be in the area of gun rights judging from responses in a debate between the two Wednesday night.

Republican Richard Spanbauer, a realtor, and Democrat Jeff Mann, an attorney, squared off in the event sponsored by the Oshkosh Public Library and the Oshkosh Northwestern, which was held at the library.

The question that illustrated their differences focused on the right to carry a concealed weapon and whether they would support such a law. Wisconsin is one of only two states that prohibits anyone but police officers and sheriff's deputies from carrying a concealed weapon.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/ic/specials/website/livechats/domedebates.shtml"target="new">Watch debate replay: Check out a replay of the debate of 53rd Assembly candidates

Mann emphasized that he has no problem with non-felons owning guns, but as the husband of police officer, he opposes the general public carrying concealed weapons. "I stand behind men and women in law enforcement," Mann said.

He said there's no need for people to carry 9mm weapons "in their breast pockets down to Piggly Wiggly… Last time a checked you didn't need one."

Mann said he would vote against such a measure in Wisconsin.

Spanbauer did not agree. He would support a concealed carry law.

"It's a Constitutional right. We fought for this in 1776. If we go back we're surrendering liberties. I am not for surrendering Constitutional rights."

Spanbauer's first priority if elected would be to connect his constituents to Madison. He senses a distrust of lawmakers and he would work to build back the trust between the people in the 20 towns and municipalities that make up the 53rd District and Madison.

Mann would work for that same kind of quality communication, but would also tackle the provisions in state law that currently allow prison inmates to take their unsubstantiated cases against prison guards directly to a judge. He called these cases a waste of judges' time.
    "The first thing (I'm interested in) is protecting the men and women who protect us … There are six prisons in the 53rd District," Mann said.

Both candidates favor campaign finance reform, no cuts in veterans' benefits, and both would be willing to support a law for minimum mark-up on gasoline.

The tax on beer has not increased since 1969. Both Mann and Spanbauer approve of a tax increase. Spanbauer emphasized there would need to be a specific reason such as to finance health care programs or educational programs on the dangers of alcohol abuse.

Both would like to see incentives for small business to encourage them to provide health care benefits for employees.

Spanbauer said he especially favors benefits extended to people who fill low paying jobs.
    When it comes to tax freezes imposed at the state level, Mann called it ludicrous for Madison to tell municipalities how much they can tax. Spanbauer said the 2 percent increase in the levy limit is too small. He suggested the limit be raised to 3 percent.

Patricia Wolff: (920) 426-6689 or pwolff@thenorthwestern.com.

Post imported post

If Candidate Mann thinks his wife walks up on a traffic stop differently (with less awareness) because there currently isn't a carry law then she needs some training or he's got higher odds of being a widower. May sound cold but it's true. No officer I know thinks they're at greater risk because of law-abiding citizens carrying weapons, open or concealed. The PoS who is already pre-disposed to do them harm anyway is the concern.

I'm glad he's completely willing to personally clear the grocery store for me next time I want to go shopping up there.[/sarcasm] He should have a phone conversation with Rep. Ron Kind.

I must admit to not watching the whole thing because itseems the website link pointing to it isundergoing some renovation. But I also wish the Republican candidates in these things would change their rhetoric when responding for what must be the zillionth time using the same old "1776" "Constitutional right" sound bite.Not that it's not completely true, but there is so much more that could be said to show attitudes like Mann's for the completely uninformed hysterial untruths they are.

:X

Post imported post

Actually, I'd wish that the voting powers wouldn't change their vote at the last moment because of a Bully Gov that wants his way.

There are so many cops in WI, yet they are never where you need them, just where they get the easy hits.
    I aim to misbehave

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Woo hoo! A neighbor! Welcome to OCDO. Please rip a copy of the RKABA resolution petition and sent it to the County Board of Supervisors Chairman Zipperer, your Supervisor and Jill Lau the Co. Clerk. I hate to think that mine is the only one.

Where are you, what community. My wife and I ride 'bicycles' down in the County occasionally and you're welcome to visit up here.

Post imported post

Howdy to you too! I'm over in the Sevastopol/Valmy area with people buying up land and building houses and complaining when I target shoot. Not that I have strays that go in their direction, I have my own form of gun control - I hit the target.

A biker, huh? I had to give that up after an accident 7 years ago. First I had a bad doctor, then a bad lawyer, and then a bad divorce to seal the deal. So now I live a simple life, which I absolutely love. I've pretty much set myself up off the grid, as they say.

You can bet I'll be sending out copies. I'm tired of feeling like I live in a police state, but have you noticed how well set up the police are? Wow, and such a large number of them, you'd think Fort Knox was in Carlsville. Maybe it is, I don't stop there anymore since it became a huge tourist trap.

Glad to have a neighbor on here too. Maybe we can accomplish something... There's always hope, and a stubborn will!
    I aim to misbehave