• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA - Shooting AR15 w/o Membership

emperor

imported post

Hey there guys, I'm new to the area and I've been shooting at Sam's gunshop in Everett like 3 times. However they will not let me shoot my newly built AR15 without a first becoming a member. I do not mind paying for membershiphowever my rifle is not sighted yet and they requiremember to past ashooting "test" before being"rifle certified". I was wondering is there anywhere I can get my new AR sighted without a membership?

just_a_car

imported post

The reason they require you to test in is because they've had many, many lights and hangers utterly destroyed by centerfire rifles. It's just good business sense to make sure that the people shooting things that can destroy your equipment are able to not hit your equipment.

As for where to shoot without a membership (which I let lapse at Sam's due to lack of funds, myself) is gunna have to be a wilderness area. Unfortunately, I don't know of any that are local to us in SnoCo.

I've heard the range on Ebe Island is long-range, but I'm not sure if they allow rifles without a membership.

Wade's in Bellevue also requires a membership.

I would suggest LASER-sighting the rifle before shooting it, that way you won't be that far off while sighting it.

amlevin

imported post

You can shoot at Everett Sportsman's Range on Ebey Island. They have outdoor 100 yard and 50 yard ranges and you don't need to be a member. They are open Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Be sure to wear good boots as the range there can be a little squishy in the rain. They actually close for several months at a time if there are floods.

You can also shoot your AR at the Norpoint Range on 172nd Street in Arlington (Smokey Point Exit from I-5 and go east. It is a couple of miles from the freeway, about half a block from Highway 9. They have a 25 yard indoor range and they allow non-members to shoot their AR's. The largest rifle caliber they allow is 7.62X39 with no Steel Core (like SS-109 ammo) or exposed lead (like most hunting ammo). Fully jacketed ammo only and the Rangemaster will check your ammo, both for exposed lead and the presence of steel cores (using a magnet).

I shoot at Norpoint once a week and find the staff there to be extremely pleasant. Makes for a nice afternoon.

RonnyB

imported post

You can also check Kenmore and Marysville Rifle range for hunter sight-in times.

thewise1

imported post

In my experience, the rangemaster at Sam's isn't very friendly anyway. When I returned with my AR15 - that I purchased there, actually - I was turned away for the same reason. I have never once hit their ceiling or whatever else and I have no interest in purchasing a membership as rarely as I get to go shooting - and I like to bring family or friends with me when I do go, so it wouldn't do me any good anyway.

Perhaps he has to use that persona because of idiots, but it was a real turnoff for me personally. When I was in Spokane the folks there were a million times friendlier.

I'm glad to hear about the ebey island range. That's right near me - I'm in Lake Stevens. I'll have to check it out :)

NWGirl

imported post

We have a membership at Norpoint and I totally agree that it's a great range and the people are very friendly.

For the rifles thatare too big for our regular range my husband has been going up to the Plantation Range in Whatcom County. He and dd just sighted in his 7 mm mag and her 25-06. It is an outdoor rangebut you don't have to be a member and the fees are reasonable.

Here's the link if you want to peek:

http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/parks/range/riflerange.jsp

Sean

imported post

get the rifle laser bore sighted at 25 yards......you might need to tweak it for other distances.....but it will be close enough that if you hit a fixture inside of 100 yards you have to be trying

bluer1

imported post

I am a range master at Everett Sportmen's Club on Ebey Island. We are VERY black rifle friendly, unlike kenmore. In fact I don't own a bolt rifle, only semi-auto/mag fed (IE: HK91, AR15, etc.)

We're open Fri. - Sun. Noon-5PM, For $15 you can shoot all day. (Until Nov. 2nd, then it is Noon - 4PM and $10/all day) Kids under 16 shoot free WITH PAYING ADULT. Eyes and ears required on the line.

With ARs, you wil have to go one round a a time until we observe you are on paper. Then you may go 3 rounds.

We have 12 100yd benches, 6 50yd, 6 25yd, and two Pistol lanes. Shot pit with auto clay thrower can have 6 shooters + several observers.

We currently have a running charity for POW/MIA/MILITARY branch flags. SHOOT THE .50 BMG! $10!

For more info, PM. Thanks for your support.

thewise1

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
I am a range master at Everett Sportmen's Club on Ebey Island. We are VERY black rifle friendly, unlike kenmore. In fact I don't own a bolt rifle, only semi-auto/mag fed (IE: HK91, AR15, etc.)

We're open Fri. - Sun. Noon-5PM, For $15 you can shoot all day. (Until Nov. 2nd, then it is Noon - 4PM and $10/all day) Kids under 16 shoot free WITH PAYING ADULT. Eyes and ears required on the line.

With ARs, you wil have to go one round a a time until we observe you are on paper. Then you may go 3 rounds.

We have 12 100yd benches, 6 50yd, 6 25yd, and two Pistol lanes. Shot pit with auto clay thrower can have 6 shooters + several observers.

We currently have a running charity for POW/MIA/MILITARY branch flags. SHOOT THE .50 BMG! $10!

For more info, PM. Thanks for your support.
Can you clarify what you mean by one round at a time, then 3?

Are you talking one round in the magazine, then 3, or 1 round per second then 3 rapidly?

bluer1

imported post

Correct, 1 round in the magazine, and then three. Just make sure to ask the RM on duty before you switch to 3 rounds. The general rule on rapid fire is "No rapid fire" which I interpret as less than 2 seconds between shots.

I'm not working this weekend, but I'll be on duty the 18th. If you see a tall blonde guy about 26 y/o with a flattop wandering around, that's me. My name is Matt (You'll see it on the ID tag) Hope to see you there, bring the wife and kids, it's a great place to shoot.

thewise1

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
Correct, 1 round in the magazine, and then three. Just make sure to ask the RM on duty before you switch to 3 rounds. The general rule on rapid fire is "No rapid fire" which I interpret as less than 2 seconds between shots.

I'm not working this weekend, but I'll be on duty the 18th. If you see a tall blonde guy about 26 y/o with a flattop wandering around, that's me. My name is Matt (You'll see it on the ID tag) Hope to see you there, bring the wife and kids, it's a great place to shoot.
Well, thanks for clearing that up at least.

Some feedback - you guys surely have your own reasons for restricting the amount of rounds allowed in a magazine, and that's your business, and I respect the choice, but I'll probably go somewhere else based on that.

It's to bad too, because I'm in Lake Stevens and you guys are pretty close! :?

bluer1

imported post

There are a couple reasons, not that I agree with them. The most important one is HWY 2 is right over the burm, so if we have a malfuntion, which we have had (IE: SKS/AKs) and the shooter doesn't have full control of the rifle, the muzzle jump and corresponding muzzle angle in that situation is not good for the drivers on the other side as you can imagine.

Like I said, I don't like that rule either, but even as RM I have to follow it. That's why I'm a member at Norpoint also, so when I feel like just blasting my heart out, I let'er rip.

Note, you CAN load up multiple mags, and have them there on the bench, if you're a quick mag changer, I suppose you could simulate it. My wife usually loads up 3 or more magazines and goes to town one after another with her AR.

ALSO: There are no ammunition restrictions/inspection. The only thing not allowed is Armor piercing and incendiary.

thewise1

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
There are a couple reasons, not that I agree with them. The most important one is HWY 2 is right over the burm, so if we have a malfuntion, which we have had (IE: SKS/AKs) and the shooter doesn't have full control of the rifle, the muzzle jump and corresponding muzzle angle in that situation is not good for the drivers on the other side as you can imagine.

Like I said, I don't like that rule either, but even as RM I have to follow it. That's why I'm a member at Norpoint also, so when I feel like just blasting my heart out, I let'er rip.

Note, you CAN load up multiple mags, and have them there on the bench, if you're a quick mag changer, I suppose you could simulate it. My wife usually loads up 3 or more magazines and goes to town one after another with her AR.
Yeah, not knocking you or anything, and I don't even really shoot rapid fire most of the time (Who can afford that anymore, right?). I guess it's the libertarian streak in me that hates being told what to do :lol:

We'll see, I might get my buddy and check it out sometime anyway.

just_a_car

imported post

I agree with thewise1 on this... the reason I don't give Kenmore Range my business is their draconian rules regulating only one round in a magazine at any time. For a bolt gun, this isn't really an issue, but for a mag-fed gun, this is (what I consider) an unnecessary pain in the ass.

At the same time, I understand your worry of accidental full-auto (as SKS's with sticky firing pins have been known to do) and with the fact that you allow at least 3 rounds may make the difference of actually attending there... plus, that you don't have to be a member to shoot a rifle.

That being said, do members get any privileges such as no mag restriction?... or is that an absolute rule?

bluer1

imported post

Membership unfortunately does not void the loading rules. However I am currently addressing motions to upgrade that to 5 rounds in the magazine after safe observation by the RM. One thing I omitted was with .22lr rifles and any pistols you may have 10 rounds in the magazine. That includes .22lr conversion kits for the AR such as the Ceiner 22 kit or in my case the HK91 conversion kit.

The good thing about membership, unlike Kenmore/Marysville Rifle club/etc. is there are no work parties. You aren't required to volunteer to cut grass, clean the bathrooms, and so on. Also it's only $85 a year!

Concerning membership applications, there is currently a moratorium on new members, but that will be resolved In January. If you would like to become an annual member, you can be put on the list immediately and after the moratorium expires you're in.

I know the limited round thing is a pain, but myself and others are actively working to change that. It seems the "old folks" are the only ones hanging on to the rule, but they don't really understand because they've never shot anything other than a bolt rifle.

just_a_car

imported post

Fair enough. I may have to stop in some time to at least check out the facilities.... and I need to get my CETME's scope zeroed.

Man, I wish I could afford that HK91 .22lr kit... *sigh*