• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber Custom/Pro Carry

Chaingun81

imported post

I wasaskingquestions inanother thread looking for a"starter" 1911 for $600-$800 range, basically choosing between Taurus and SA GI/Mil-Spec. For various reasons this options got pushed back and now i am lookingat Kimber Custom II or Pro Carry II.I tried to ask about them in the original thread, but it got too longand seems like not many people get to the end, so i didn't get much info there which pushed me to open a new topic (sorry moderators). Please all Kimber ownersor people who used them/shot them/know someone who owns them,tell me what your experience was! I might get itvery soon unless there are some serious reasons which will make me change my mind, so any feedback is welcome!

NWGirl

imported post

My DH has a ProCarry II that he bought from another member here on OC. He's had it about a month and he absolutely loves it. I pried it out of his hands once at the range and it is a very sweet shooting gun. Feels good in the hand, shoots beautifully and is nicely balanced. Hope some others chime in with more help. :)

Chaingun81

imported post

NWGirl wrote:
My DH has a ProCarry II that he bought from another member here on OC. He's had it about a month and he absolutely loves it. I pried it out of his hands once at the range and it is a very sweet shooting gun. Feels good in the hand, shoots beautifully and is nicely balanced. Hope some others chime in with more help. :)
Thanks NWGirl. Anyone else has anything to add? Seems like Kimbers are not getting any attention... :(

compmanio365

imported post

I've had my Kimber Pro Carry II for a while now, got a great deal on it, and it's pretty beat up, but still shoots pretty good. I had a little trouble with it at first, but got it ironed out. I've heard that if you have to send it in to Kimber for work, expect it to be gone up to and beyond a month, as apparently they aren't too quick about getting the guns back to you.

Frankly, I think if you can find a good deal, jump on it, but otherwise, there are cheaper, just as reliable alternatives. When you buy a Kimber new, you are paying a lot of markup just for the name. But like I said, if you find a good deal, jump on it.

lprgcFrank

imported post

I have Kimber Pro carry II's in .45 and 9mm - great guns - I carry and compete with them with confidence.

Some of the guys I shoot with use Springfield's in the commander size - they seem to also run flawlessly.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I have had four different Kimbers, as of this writing. A 5" Custom Defender II, a 5" Stainless TLE IIe, a 5" Custom Tactical, and a CDP Compact.

I still have the CDP, and it is a wonderful gun. It is the 4" barrel and slide from the "pro" handguns, with the shorter frame of the "ultra" guns. This one seems to be just about right for concealed carry. It's lightweight, and small, but still handles like a full-size gun. And it's two tone finish with rosewood grips makes the gun GORGEOUS, which doesn't hurt, either.

You should be aware that Kimbers are built with tighter tolerances than, say, a Springfield MilSpec gun, so the 1500 round break-in period should beobserved beforegetting mad that it is finicky with some brandsor rounds of ammo.

Ihave fed all ofmy Kimbers with Wilson Combat mags, and have had significantly less trouble with mine than my friends have, whowere using stock Kimber (actually they'rere-stamped Chip McCormick) mags. They all use Wilson's now, though, and the problems went away when the cheap mags did. Imagine that!;)

Edit to add: You should also be aware, that if you buy an alloy-framed 1911, (most of the "pro" Kimbers are, unless they say "HD" in the title as well) you have the chance of marring the bottom of the feedramp if you use mags with pointed metal followers (like the one Kimber gives you WITH THE GUN!) Scrap those mags, again, use the Wilsons, as they use plastic followers. It usually doesn't effect operation, but it looks like hell, and I don't like scratching up my guns, inside or out, if I don't have to.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I know that this is a somewhat old thread; but.....
I was also considering one of the small Kimbers...
I went to the range this weekend and rented a bunch of different guns, my brother was in town and wanted ot go shoot for fun, and I've been meaning to go 'try on' a few anyway...
I shot the Kimber Ultra Carry in .45. Loved it! It is definitely still at the top of the list!
Tied with the HK P2000 .40 and the HK Carry .45; but at the top.. depends on what I find for what price as to which one is next!