• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Say hello to my little friend.....

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Just picked this up tonight.....

25.jpg

SMITH & WESSON .357 MAGNUM, Model 65-3

3" 6 Shot

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Very Nice! I love seeing revolvers here!

BTW, after reading the title, I was prepared to be shocked:shock:

kle

imported post

Yay for revolvers!

2889375228_3099d55c8d.jpg

ProShooter, it looks like your '65 is wearing a 4" barrel (measure from the forcing cone to the muzzle). Gotta love them S&W revolvers, though--[they can have the] best single-action triggers, ever (the SA trigger on my Model 10-6 above is pretty heavy though, but then it was a police trade-in, not a target pistol).

Given the choice between a 10 (blued .38SPL), 13 (blued .357 Magnum), 64 (stainless .38), or 65 (stainless .357), I'd probably go with either a 13 or a 65...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kle wrote:
Yay for revolvers!

2889375228_3099d55c8d.jpg

ProShooter, it looks like your '65 is wearing a 4" barrel (measure from the forcing cone to the muzzle). Gotta love them S&W revolvers, though--[they can have the] best single-action triggers, ever (the SA trigger on my Model 10-6 above is pretty heavy though, but then it was a police trade-in, not a target pistol).

Given the choice between a 10 (blued .38SPL), 13 (blued .357 Magnum), 64 (stainless .38), or 65 (stainless .357), I'd probably go with either a 13 or a 65...
That is really nice KLE. If it has the bull barrel (Looks like it does), I had it's twin for years. I loved that thing. Fred Schmidt did a great action job on it for me.

That was the only gun the police ever ran the serial numbers on. After they had their grubby little hands on it (no Offense intended 229), I traded it at a gunshow for a Rem. 870.

ProShooter

imported post

Well, we need a good "revolver appreciation thread" so check these out.....they sold in the same auction that I just bought mine in. They wanted to come home with me oh so badly!

85.jpg

SMITH & WESSON .44 CALIBER SPECIAL:

Model 624, Distributed By Lew Horton, 6 Shot, Stainless Steel, 3" Barrel, Red Ramp/White Outline Sights, Walnut Finger Grooved Grips.

90.jpg

SMITH & WESSON U.S. ARMY MODEL 1917 REVOLVER:

Model DA 45, .45 Caliber 6 Shot, 5.5" Barrel, Satin Bluing, Checkered Walnut Grips, Engraved Underside Of Barrel" United States Property

nova

imported post

My 64-5 pictured below. In two weeks I'm picking up a 1972mfg Security Six, blued, 4" .357mag. Will make a good companion and packs more punch than the .38spl-only 64, which will be kept at home as a house gun and occassional OC.

DSCN0562.jpg

ProShooter

imported post

Nice wheel guns Nova, Zoom....

Nova - I had a Security Six years ago, my first revolver. It was a PD duty gun that I bought from the officer for $125. I had it for 2 years and he called and said that he was getting nostalgic and wanted it back... I hated to see it go!

kle

imported post

peter nap wrote:
That is really nice KLE. If it has the bull barrel (Looks like it does), I had it's twin for years. I loved that thing. Fred Schmidt did a great action job on it for me.

That was the only gun the police ever ran the serial numbers on. After they had their grubby little hands on it (no Offense intended 229), I traded it at a gunshow for a Rem. 870.
Thanks--I also picked mine up at The Nation's Gun Show two weeks ago. It was in rough shape externally, looking like it had spent its life being handled a lot, but it timed and locked-up pretty decently (better than the other used examples the dealer had). After I brought it home, cleaned out the neglect with some Hoppes #9, and added a T-grip and refinished the grips, it's become one of my favorite guns with lots of character.

When I get a holster for it (it's coming in a couple weeks) it'll be my primary open-carry sidearm (whenever I decide to OC, that is; to complement my concealed-carry sidearm, also a revolver).

ETA: yes, it does have the bull-barrel. The standard/tapered barrel looks and balances a little funny, to me (I cut my revolver-teeth on ones with 6" full-underlug barrels), although a tapered barrel would look good on a 5" or 6" variant. If I had one of those, I'd keep it pristine without the T-grip...

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Nice wheel guns Nova, Zoom....

Nova - I had a Security Six years ago, my first revolver. It was a PD duty gun that I bought from the officer for $125. I had it for 2 years and he called and said that he was getting nostalgic and wanted it back... I hated to see it go!
Thanks! My father has a stainless S6 so I know first-handhow good these guns really are. I'm paying 250 for the blued one, I think my dad paid about 275 for the stainless one a while back. Prices are going up on these guns, that's for sure!