• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

THR Hijacked by the Server Admin

Eagleeye

imported post

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/474369.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oleg Volk ( olegvolk) wrote,
[size="-1"]@ 2008-09-25 19:41:00[/size]
[size="+1"][font="Arial,Helvetica"]Going to court.[/font][/size]
In December 2002, I founded The High Road forum dedicated to the advancement of responsible gun ownership. Recently, it was discovered that in 2006, the volunteer forum systems administrator, Derek Zeanah of Statesboro, Georgia, changed domain registration to himself. After he was confronted, Derek locked out all other staff from accessing the Web server administration and would not share even backup copies of its content. After failed attempts to peacefully resolve the dispute, it has become necessary for me to initiate a lawsuit against Derek Zeanah for the return of thehighroad.org domain name and the forum database.

I am seeking and would greatly appreciate donations to help with the cost of litigation. You can use Paypal (olegvolk@gmail.com) or send a check to:
Oleg Volk 3112 Chambley Ct Hermitage, TN 37076

All donations shall be returned if the lawsuit is ultimately avoided. You can also aid me by re-posting this appeal on your blog, forum or web site. My legal position is already endorsed by almost all of The High Road staff as well as Rich Lucibella, the founder of The Firing Line forum.

UPDATE:Derek's reaction was to disable The High Road forum all together. He also removed most of the staff who opposed him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is going to get Ugly.

Eagleeye

imported post

Blog of Founding THR Mod on the whole deal.

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2008/09/controversy-at-high-road.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, September 25, 2008 Controversy at The High Road [size=
]Controversy surrounding The High Road (THR) firearms forum has recently erupted into the public eye, which is very unfortunate, in my opinion. I'm aware of postings about the matter on THR itself; Armed Polite Society; View From The Porch; Xavier Thoughts; Wandering Thoughts; The Armed School Teacher; FreeThinker; Walls Of The City; the AR15.com forum; and Oleg Volk's LiveJournal. I'm sure there are many others.

As one of the founding moderators of THR, I've had many questions directed at me as to what's going on: and in the interests of openness, transparency and honesty, I'd like to take the opportunity to answer those questions here.

First, THR was founded by Oleg Volk, who's a well-known photographer and activist on Second Amendment issues. Oleg is a personal friend, and a man whom I respect highly. I was one of the first people to be invited to serve as a moderator on THR, even before the board "went live" in December 2002. I was honored and privileged to serve as such for several years, before the pressure of other circumstances forced me to scale back my activities there early in 2007. I'm still a moderator there, but "without portfolio", as it were.

Second, the domain name for THR was initially registered (and owned) by Mr. Rich Lucibella, the founder and owner of The Firing Line (TFL), another firearms forum. It was Mr. Lucibella's decision to close down TFL that led to the founding of THR: and, some time later, TFL was resurrected and is again one of the foremost forums of its kind on the Internet. Mr. Lucibella supported Oleg and his moderators in every conceivable way during THR's establishment, and I have the highest regard for him.

Third, the technical support "guru" who helped establish THR's hardware and software facilities is Mr. Derek Zeanah. Startup and ongoing costs were to be met (and, as far as I am aware, were indeed met) by contributions from the moderators, and in one case by a fund-raiser held among the membership. It was not intended or desired that Mr. Zeanah use his own funds and resources to support THR, and to the best of my knowledge and belief this has never happened. Whenever he's spoken of the need for funds in the Staff Forum, arrangements have been made among the Staff to get the money to him.

A few months ago the possibility came up that THR might be acquired by a major outside interest, which would guarantee the board's independence, and by sponsoring it allow Oleg to devote more time to it and to Second Amendment/RKBA issues. Oleg, as the owner and boss of the forum, decided to investigate this option, and advised the staff of its existence. At this point Mr. Zeanah apparently decided that he held co-ownership of THR (something that had never been discussed at all in the Staff Forum, and that had never previously even been mentioned), and objected strenuously.

It also emerged that some time previously, Mr. Lucibella had transferred ownership of THR's domain name to Oleg, sending the details to Mr. Zeanah (as tech support guru) to make the arrangements. Instead of doing as Mr. Lucibella had requested, Mr. Zeanah appears to have transferred THR's domain name to himself, and now claims ownership of it. (Of course, as tech support guru and owner of THR's hosting service, he already physically controls the server, software and database.)

Mr. Zeanah denies that he "stole" or "misappropriated" THR's domain name, and insists that he offered to transfer it to a corporate entity: but the company he established to do so was a sole proprietorship under Georgia State law, with himself registered as the owner. The counter to his assertions is best delivered by Mr. Lucibella, who is on the record as follows:
At no time was I aware that Derek was acting as anything but Oleg's personal agent. Had I been aware that Derek was acting for his own benefit I would never have transferred the domain name to him. It is my position that Mr. Zeanah had fraudulently misrepresented himself to me. If he persists in publicly hiding behind my statements, taken out of context, I will have little choice but to join this legal fray, recover the domain name thru the courts and pursue Mr. Zeanah for my legal fees.​
Mr. Zeanah has persistently blocked Oleg's attempts to resolve the situation, insisting that he shares ownership of THR and is owed money. Oleg has finally had to lay the matter before the courts, as the only way to obtain justice. He has posted on his LiveJournal:
In December 2002, I founded The High Road forum dedicated to the advancement of responsible gun ownership. Recently, it was discovered that in 2006, the volunteer forum systems administrator, Derek Zeanah of Statesboro, Georgia, changed domain registration to himself. After he was confronted, Derek locked out all other staff from accessing the Web server administration and would not share even backup copies of its content. After failed attempts to peacefully resolve the dispute, it has become necessary for me to initiate a lawsuit against Derek Zeanah for the return of thehighroad.org domain name and the forum database.

I am seeking and would greatly appreciate donations to help with the cost of litigation. You can use Paypal (olegvolk@gmail.com) or send a check to:

Oleg Volk
3112 Chambley Ct
Hermitage, TN 37076

All donations shall be returned if the lawsuit is ultimately avoided. You can also aid me by re-posting this appeal on your blog, forum or web site. My legal position is already endorsed by almost all of The High Road staff as well as Rich Lucibella, the founder of The Firing Line forum.

UPDATE: Derek's reaction was to disable The High Road forum all together. He also removed most of the staff who opposed him.​
I should like to state, for the record, that as far as I am aware, and according to all the information at my disposal, Oleg is in the right on this matter. I confirm that from the beginning, nobody else was ever mentioned as having any ownership interest or rights at all in THR, and I confirm that from the beginning, Oleg has been universally acknowledged by the Staff as the "boss", the "head honcho", and the owner of the board. An examination of traffic in the Staff Forum from Day One of THR's existence will confirm this. If necessary I am willing to appear in court to attest to this under oath.

I should also like to state that Mr. Lucibella is known to me, not in person, but through long association on TFL and on another mailing list to which both of us belong. I accept his statement (given above) unreservedly, and I think it makes the position very clear.

I don't understand what Mr. Zeanah is trying to achieve by first, shutting down THR unilaterally (and, I might add, without any authority to do so) when the news broke (it's since come up again), and second, by banning those members of staff and others who publicly support Oleg's position. He's using his physical control of THR's servers to enforce some form of "thought control" on the forum - which won't last long, of course. I daresay my access to THR might well be revoked by him once he reads this: but I'm confident it will be restored when he loses the now-pending court case (as he inevitably will - the weight of evidence is overwhelmingly on Oleg's side in this matter). I simply don't know what Mr. Zeanah is trying to achieve: and I think that now that things have gone this far, he's on a hiding to nowhere. This might become a very expensive millstone around his neck.

I hope that this makes the position clearer to those of my readers and friends who've asked about it. I'm very sad that this nastiness has affected THR, one of the finest forums of its kind on the Internet: but I hope that it will speedily be resolved, and that THR will soon recover and return to normal.

I trust that any readers who contract out the hosting and/or supervision and/or support of their Internet services and/or operations to another person or company will learn from this very nasty situation, and draw the appropriate conclusions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I know who's payroll the pet trolls were on....:X

txgho1911

imported post

If any admins for networks have the tools you might look up the other sites hosted there. All I can reach without spending money is a Univ of Ill website and another gunny website who is watching what is going on.
Not to scare them into bailing on DZ but maybe to pull a full backup in case DZ's illness degrades further.

Also :
class="forumText"Originally Posted By TheBluesMan:
As the first and only banned administrator in the history of the site, I encourage all THR members to just stay away. Your absence will speak volumes. Give it a week.

Further, I encourage all remaining THR staff member to not do what I did, confront Derek. Do the same as the members. Stay away for a week. Derek wants the site so bad, let him moderate it by himself. Call it a sit-down strike.

Maybe everyone's absence will give Derek time to reconsider his untenable position.

Every member who posts on THR is supporting the status quo and giving support to Derek.

Every moderator who enforces the rules of a commandeered website is supporting the thief at the helm.

You can support Oleg by donating to the legal defense fund and you can support him by staying away from THR until this matter is settled.

Give it a week.

AnaxImperator

imported post

txgho1911 wrote:
I encourage all THR members to just stay away. Your absence will speak volumes. Give it a week.

Further, I encourage all remaining THR staff member to not do what I did, confront Derek. Do the same as the members. Stay away for a week. Derek wants the site so bad, let him moderate it by himself. Call it a sit-down strike.

Maybe everyone's absence will give Derek time to reconsider his untenable position.

Every member who posts on THR is supporting the status quo and giving support to Derek.

I'm in. I can't provide any financial assistance, but I can boycott it and spread the word to other firearms owners who I know are on THR.

Prometheus

imported post

I like a lot of what Olek does, but THR was a bunch stuck up, thread locking nut jobs.

Most of them were anti-OC as well. It is ironic to see a bunch of "better than thou's" now begging for a hand out.

Eagleeye

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
I like a lot of what Olek does, but THR was a bunch stuck up, thread locking nut jobs.

Most of them were anti-OC as well. It is ironic to see a bunch of "better than thou's" now begging for a hand out.

That only started after this mess first began.
Same with the Pet Trolls.

Blackburn

imported post

As I have reviewed the events of the past two years, I have come to the conclusion that the main source of Oleg and his mods viewing me as an archetypical villian hell-bent on destroying everything good in the world springs from the time when I was starting a gun-centric webhosting service at the same time as Derek.

I have additional evidence when it comes to certain activities meant to disrupt and damage my business reputation, evidence that points very close if not directly to Derek, which I have so far only brought up with Oleg.

If he does go to court, I will probably be persuaded to provide legally viable information to demonstrate a further pattern of deceit and lawbreaking on Derek's part. Not for any love for Oleg - who sent my dead dad's contact info to the Brady Campaign with a request for "negative consequences" * - but because I want to see Derek take what's coming to him.

It's actually rather sad to realize that allof this was probablybecause Derek and I had an argument over the merits of Plesk vs. cPanel back when we were both launching webhosting brands, and I thenhad the temerity to submit that the amount of dollars he was demanding in donations far exceeded the actual cost of running even the most heavily visited resource-hogging of vBulletin installs. (per my ThePlanet colo charts)Looks like I was more right than I knew.

* I have been informed that this was because of information provided to Oleg and that the mods who provided it to him were, coincidentally, the same ones who are making a stand with Derek. So, ultimately, I'm starting to realize that Oleg was more of a stand-up guy than my personal experiences would have indicated.

Eagleeye

imported post

Blackburn wrote:
It's actually rather sad to realize that allof this was probablybecause Derek and I had an argument over the merits of Plesk vs. cPanel back when we were both launching webhosting brands, and I thenhad the temerity to submit that the amount of dollars he was demanding in donations far exceeded the actual cost of running even the most heavily visited resource-hogging of vBulletin installs. (per my ThePlanet colo charts)Looks like I was more right than I knew.

* I have been informed that this was because of information provided to Oleg and that the mods who provided it to him were, coincidentally, the same ones who are making a stand with Derek. So, ultimately, I'm starting to realize that Oleg was more of a stand-up guy than my personal experiences would have indicated.

Um, If you don't mind my asking, who are you?

Blackburn

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
Blackburn wrote:

Someone who Derek took a campaign against, like this woman here:

http://pwptruth.blogspot.com/

Eagleeye

imported post

Blackburn wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
Blackburn wrote:

Someone who Derek took a campaign against, like this woman here:

http://pwptruth.blogspot.com/

Ah I remember you (not your Username though.)

You used to be the Co-Web Admin, Right?

Blackburn

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
Ah I remember you (not your Username though.)

You used to be the Co-Web Admin, Right?

No, the details aren't as interesting as that. They're more on the shocking, horrifying end. I was never a staff member. Was there a co-web admin who received the same treatment? I would be interested to compare notes with him/her.

The good thing is, now that I've seen how Karen was attacked (accusations of schizophrenia, etc) I now recognize the sametechniquetaken by one ofmods who carried a great deal of water for Derek and probably is still doing so in private, specifically when the mod in question accused me of posting insulting and vitriolic rants against myself as "J. Prest," an entity who only posted without a proxy once (as far as I know based on the few board operators who cooperated with me to remove the postings and grant me the poster's information), and in that case, had a hostmask registering tothe eastern part of the state ofGeorgia.

bbr80

imported post

I say let THR burn. I was banned there by a female mod with an attitude, PAX. I spoke to Oleg via telephone to try to get reinstated and to tell my side. Well, zero tolerance (zero mind use) won out. Once you are banned, you are banned. So, IMO Oleg does not pick his friends very well, and let the mods and Derek run amok with his property. You would not let someone do that to your house, so it implies that Oleg didnt really care about THR in my book.

Its a shame, I liked Oleg from the times I spoke to him. I am making more $$ now than I was then, and I am in a good position to help, fund wise or with an attorney. But why should I help a forum owner, who left me out to dry when I was banned by an idiot with a god complex.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bbr80 wrote:
I say let THR burn.  I was banned there by a female mod with an attitude, PAX.  I spoke to Oleg via telephone to try to get reinstated and to tell my side.  Well, zero tolerance (zero mind use) won out.  Once you are banned,  you are banned.  So, IMO Oleg does not pick his friends very well, and let the mods and Derek run amok with his property.  You would not let someone do that to your house, so it implies that Oleg didnt really care about THR in my book. 

Its a shame, I liked Oleg from the times I spoke to him.  I am making more $$ now than I was then, and I am in a good position to help, fund wise or with an attorney.  But why should I help a forum owner, who left me out to dry when I was banned by an idiot with a god complex.

I never post at THR, but I've heard this sort of thing from a few people. If there's much truth to it, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Besides, the whole "high road" thing is undeniably pretentious -- that's just one of those things you don't get to declare about yourself.