• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possession/carrying under the age of 21

Reverend BCal

imported post

I'm 20 years old, and I'm about to legally come into the possession of a handgun. I currently reside in Delaware, but am moving back to my hometown in Missouri come November, and they're both OC states (Delaware's a little more understanding, as far as preemption's concerned)

Since I will legally own a handgun at age 20, am I able to open carry said handgun (in Missouri or Delaware) whileaway from my residence/car, e.g. in a public place or venue where it's legal to OC?

While I'm on the subject, can anyone walk me through the "gifting" procedure from one individual to another individual of no relation (one friend to another)? I'm not talking about "straw purchases" here, just gifting.

Thanks!

Reverend B. Calvin

Reverend BCal

imported post

Actually, I kinda answered my own question. Any input or contradicting info would be appreciated, as the answer is one that I don't like.

Open Carry

Missouri does allow open carry of firearms for those age 21 or older. However, city, county, and municipalities are allowed to pass local laws and ordinances restricting this. It is advisable to check local laws and ordinances before openly carrying a firearm within Missouri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

Amaz-uh-zing what one can do if he looks before he leaps, eh?

Jared

imported post

Reverend BCal wrote:
I'm 20 years old, and I'm about to legally come into the possession of a handgun. I currently reside in Delaware, but am moving back to my hometown in Missouri come November, and they're both OC states (Delaware's a little more understanding, as far as preemption's concerned)

Since I will legally own a handgun at age 20, am I able to open carry said handgun (in Missouri or Delaware) whileaway from my residence/car, e.g. in a public place or venue where it's legal to OC?

While I'm on the subject, can anyone walk me through the "gifting" procedure from one individual to another individual of no relation (one friend to another)? I'm not talking about "straw purchases" here, just gifting.

Thanks!

Reverend B. Calvin

In parts of MO, OC is illegal. But you can apply for a Maine non-resident license and use that to carry in MO.

The way the law is worded, you would be legal to CCW with a Maine non-resident permit at 18. It won't help with OC in MO but it will help if you conceal in a vehicle in MO because the conceal in a vehicle exemption in MO for non-permit holders only applies to people 21 and older.

If you were a Delaware resident, you could apply for a CDWL at 18. But you can open carry in DE except for in Dover unless you have a CDWL or recognized license.

Jared

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
As far as the gifting goes - you both have to be residents of the same state, in this case Delaware. If you are not, then the handgun must go through an FFL in the recipient's state of residence, which, in your case of being 20 can't happen because of Federal law. I do not know if Delaware has any private transfer laws, but the state laws would have to be met as well.

If Delaware has no specific requirements, and you are both residents of the same state, your friend hands you the gun and that is it, nothing more is required.

I have never found any laws on private transfers in Delaware, as long as federal law is followed, your ok in DE. DE has no waiting period so I strongly recommend you purchase your handgun in DE. Unless your there on per diem under the federal government, you count as a resident as per the GCA of 1968so I'd buy one before you go back to MO.

DE has very friendly gun and knive laws, they are actually some of the best in the country. The only 2 things about DE that are not good is that....

1. They are not class 3.

2. They are may-issue on the initial issuance of CDWL's; however, they are shall-issue on renewals and you only have to be 18.